Old 09-24-2003, 06:41 PM   #51
Siggy

You did read my 2nd paragraph, yes?

Sigonia Tebis

75 Monk
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:09 AM   #52
Kerryn

I'm tired of seeing this one over and over.

There are some very basic abilities that every human being needs to have. One of those abilities that is fundamental to life is the need to communicate themselves properly to other people.

So if your post has a few wrods taht look like tihs then I'll accept you just hit the wrong keys in your hurry to type. If it looks like you collapsed spastically onto the keyboard smashing keys with your face whilst having a fit then I'm probably not going to bother.

I'm no spelling nazi but I'm tired of the excuse that not everyone speaks English as a first language. Yes there are people who speak English as a second language on this board. You can spot them easily by the almost perfect use of tenses, adjectives and pro-nouns that most people drop in every day writing.

The people you are defending are more often then not people who were brought up in an English speaking family who just refuse to bother. Usually they'll follow up with some crap about how they can type but don't see the point because it's only a message board.

I fit you into these categories:-

You can't spell and you know it but you're trying to learn = Intelligent.
You can't spell yet and you refuse to learn = Thick.
You can spell yet can't be bothered = Twat.
You can spell and sometimes make mistakes = Human.
You can spell and never make mistakes = ...er....Kalvarin I think.

I'd have more respect for you if you realised you couldn't spell but were smart enough to hit the Spell Check button in Word or something.
Eye halve a spelling chequer.
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it.
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

I'm still baffled why some of you defend the right to appear stupid.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:07 PM   #53
Sefa Akajira

Default A study

A friend came across this link. Fits this discussion quite well:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp
Sefa Akajira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:54 PM   #54
Syng Da Troll

You can't spell and you know it but you're trying to learn = Intelligent.
You can't spell yet and you refuse to learn = Thick.
You can spell yet can't be bothered = Twat.
You can spell and sometimes make mistakes = Human.
You can spell, have no desire to understand those that are different from you, and act like an elitist = Kerryn

I'm still baffled why some of you defend the right to appear stupid.
Stupidity is a very subjective term, intellegence is measured in many different dimensions.. not just the one you have a strength in. You know of a GENIUS of a mathematician that spells worth a crap and has trouble composing a sentence? I do. I bet this person can score higher on an IQ test than you can... doesn't matter really but putting it in terms you will understand.

I really wish people would quit trying to mold others into something they deem *intellegent*.

Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows. - DAVID T. WOLF

Freedom is the most contagious virus known to man. - HUBERT H. HUMPHREY

Syng Alyng *RETIRED* - 65 TROLL Shadowknight
Syng Da Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #55
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Kalv, no hard feelings, but that was brilliant

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:47 AM   #56
Kerryn

You know Syng, I can never work out whether "the troll" in your board name has anything to do with a race you play in EQ.

I do have the desire to understand others and for the most part I do it better then you would think. I understand that there is a growing number of lazy fucks on this board trying to be clever. It would appear as they say “that someone has been pissing in the gene pool”.

I don't know whether to have respect for your mathematician friend because I don’t have sufficient information. What you so obviously missed from my post is that spelling doesn't have anything to do with the matter so much as having the desire to learn.

A lot of the people starting these posts have no desire to learn to spell or write properly. They want to make excuses and they’ll be making those excuses till their dying day. You want to defend the actions of those people you're welcome to but you’re only contributing to the eventual degradation of society that can only occur when we start excusing the lack of willingness to improve.

If you care to point out that I've spelt a word wrong then I'll make a mental note and the next time I post I'll spell it correctly. It takes two seconds to make that mental correction for future reference but two minutes to hunt and peck a post about how "I'm reely intellegent in real life but i just dont care to spell it write for you because after all ur just some guy that posts on a message board that ill never meat and i dont have to do anything special for you cos it doesn’t meen anything n e way"

Get off the high horse will you? Different people spell incorrectly for a multitude of different reasons and perhaps it is time that you should accept that one of those reasons is an inherent stupidity that not only spans their reading and writing skills but everything they do. Politically correct or not you have to realise that some people are eventually going to reach a point when they have more candles on their cake the number they’d get in an IQ test.

An interesting point is that I took an IQ test the other day as part of a national survey. I scored a decent amount above average but my "observational" skills let me down otherwise I'd have done much better. Want to know something though? Language and Comprehension was a separate section with 15% of the questions.

Perhaps you'd like to give comment on what that would be so?

And there was no slight to Kalvarin in that remark. He types about 90 words a minute ( so he says and I’ve no reason to doubt him ) and he's one of this up and coming generation of young adults that grew up with a keyboard under his fingers. He does not make mistakes that I have seen.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:00 AM   #57
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

they have more candles on their cake the number they’d get in an IQ test.
Time to break out that mental notebook. :o
Old 09-29-2003, 05:10 AM   #58
Kerryn

their = there? or the missing "then"

Either way point noted.