Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Default Touching the forbidden fruits

Sorry, there's no apples or bible quotes here tonight.

This is just something that happened near the end of the work day today at my office, and I thought that people would like laughing at it, with me, at me, pointing fingers and making rude gestures at me, or what have you.

At my work place we have this little kitchen area real close by for the local area office workers, I can only assume. People like to throw their stuff into the refriderator there and just leave it there for really long periods of time. In fact last month it was so packed that we left up a message on the refridgerator saying "Take your stuff out or put your name on your stuff before a certain date or we'll toss it when we clean it." The day came and the bosses and my mother went through the refridgerator, discovering food that was a year, even two years, expired in there. Needless to say, it was pretty clean and there was lots of room in there when we were done. Now that I'm done with the background setting, on to my story.

Not too long after we cleaned out the refridgerator, two HUGE buckets of ice cream appeared in the freezer. Not little boxes, but those five gallon tubs of Blue Bunny ice cream. A couple weeks pass and we look up in the freezer and notice the ice cream is still there, untouched. I bring it up with the bosses and one says "If that doesn't disappear in a week or two we're going to bring in toppings and start eatting it so they don't keep taking up space." A few more weeks pass to today, and the buckets of ice cream are still sitting there, untouched. In the afternoons I drive around to pick up information for the office from all around the city, so while I was out I stopped at a store and bought some ice cream toppings and brought them back in with me. I presented them to the bosses, who then pulled out the buckets of ice cream and set things up. We had a couple cups of ice cream when we recieved a phone call from a lady on the far opposite side of the building asking "Do any of you know about a misplaced ice cream bucket?"

Apparently a lady from an office in a completely different part of the building brought in the ice cream about a month and a half ago and just left them there. The reason being, she was going to bring them to an ice cream social that's going on tomorrow morning. One of my bosses got angry out of the complete nonsense of the situation. The lady was supposed to have her own refridgerator in her own area of the building, I heard, but they said it doesn't work as well as our refridgerator. So my boss calls her home and tells the people there to pick up a whole new bucket of ice cream to bring in for tomorrow, and the folks in the office are debating who should pay for what. I told my co-workers that if I had been around to see the people come by and investigate our refridgerator for their ice cream I would have told them... "Serves you right for putting in such large quantities of food in someone else's storage space a month ahead of when you needed it."

Our stuff has actually been broken into prior to this incident before. We had brought in a new thing of cream cheese for morning bagels one time, and when my mother went to open it for one of her bagels she brought it out to me and showed it to me and asked "Did you get into the cream cheese?" I looked into it and noticed that there was some missing, but it wasn't me. We also make coffee in the early morning, and people from all around the building come to snatch some while we're not looking. I wouldn't be surprised if the ice cream lady, or people from her office, comes around and takes some coffee from time to time.

So just to try getting the message across to everyone once again we put up a message on the refridgerator that says "We all like using the refridgerator, but to ensure the safety of your items, put your name on them." But who is really the one at fault? Who is the more stupid? They left the ice cream there for an ungodly amount of time without doing anything to it rather than buy it on the day before the big party and bring it then, but we also took some of the ice cream blindly without checking around to see what the scoop was on it all.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
And here I was thinking I was onto some hot innuendo...

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:56 PM   #3
janettheguy

I bet it was that drunk chick that stole your school book that ate the cream cheese.

Janet
janettheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 05:20 PM   #4
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Actually, a funny thing happened a few months back. I was doing my daily rounds around the city and I found her at one of the clinics I go to. So I got all of that settled and what not.

Old 09-18-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
Azraelwrath

Put a lock on your Fridge.

You should have told that lady with the ice cream that her ice cream got eaten because she didn't put her name on the tub. It was her fault primarily. I mean, if you leave something outside in a public place, it will probably get stolen. If you throw something into somebodys yard and just leave it there for a long time, they are going to do something about that.

Btw you should add to that message on the fridge that no one is responsibile for the loss of an item in there as you are putting it inside for you own risk.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #6
Evyla

LMAO. Someone from another office left ice cream in your office's freezer for a MONTH, and then came asking what happened to it? Everyone in our office would have said, "Doh! Sorry, but thanks for the ice cream." There would have been zero chance of someone offering to buy replacement ice cream. You don't take stuff to your neighbor's house and put it in their fridge without at least asking.

Your office must have nicer people in it than mine. We are a 24hr shop, and some people rotate on different scheds, therefore, we don't work with the same people all the time. People bring stuff in and leave it in the fridge for extended periods of time quite often and we used to have similar situations pop up from time to time. Fridge full of rotten food, missing food, etc. The reason I say your office workers must be nicer than ours is because even if we know who the ice cream belongs to, we eat it if it's left in there for more than a week..LoL

Some may find that horrid, I'm sure, but those are the established rules. Everyone in the office knows them, everyone expects it, and everyone respects it as a rule. Food does NOT stay in the fridge for more than 1 week, and yes, there is a sign. If someone from another office came in and put junk in our fridge, we all would look at it as ignorance of the law is not an excuse. They should have found out the "law" before leaving stuff in someone else's fridge, and they should have asked permission to use the space.

--
Evyla the Fridge Nazi
Evyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
Kurupt

Oh man, leaving ice cream somewhere with out you or someone trusted supervising it is a bad idea already...
At these times all you need to do is reach out your left/right arm and...

/bitchslap
Old 09-18-2003, 10:58 PM   #8
Tpearla

Was it rocky road?
Tpearla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

I was doing my daily rounds around the city and I found her at one of the clinics I go to.
I guess you needed a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion that those bumps aren't going away anytime soon?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
Urchun
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Urchun Send a message via Yahoo to Urchun
You ice cream-stealing callous bastard!
Urchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:59 AM   #11
Dorbane

You Should have said that the Fridge broke and the ice cream melted, and everyone cried. The end.
Dorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:26 AM   #12
Zelgadis

It was French Vanilla (the stuff we took) and a combination Half Chocolate-Vanilla(not a vanilla-chocolate swirl ice cream, that's nasty stuff). Tasted great! =P Though today just a few moments ago my boss came in with a new bucket of ice cream... regular vanilla ice cream instead of French Vanilla. Oh the times I'm going to have hearing and watching this one go on!

Old 09-19-2003, 04:26 AM   #13
Davek
Squawk Box

Standard Office Policy here at work:

Put your name on your items.
The fridge is cleaned out weekly.
If it's still in the fridge at the end of the week, it goes in the garbage.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:15 AM   #14
Frekkels

Hail Zelgadis,
But who is really the one at fault? Who is the more stupid?
The people who ate the ice cream knowing that it wasn't theirs are primarily at fault. I don't think any of the people involved were stupid.

Community use refrigerators in offices, frats, multi-family homes & apartments, etc. often have these types of problems eventually. People from different backgrounds have different belief systems regarding personal property in public areas (among other things) and conflicts like this are bound to happen when no governing guidance is given.

The ice cream tubs were unopened. They didn't magically appear in the freezer (that would be cool though ). While I would agree it was presumptuous and rude of the person who placed them in the freezer taking up a large amount of space for such a long period of time, that doesn't mean they deserved to have their unused & sealed food taken w/o notice or warning in my opinion. Not having the ice cream marked was unwise, but not that all that unreasonable (how many people will confuse 10lbs of ice cream as theirs?).

If it is a private fridge for a specific office department in the building, then it should be clearly labelled as such. A simple sign posted saying "Refrigerator use reserved for Rants & Flame department personnel only. All items placed inside for >24 hours must be marked with the owner's name. Items unmarked may be disposed of without warning or notice after 48 hours. Please clean up after yourself. Point of contact for questions is Zelgadis' mom. Phone 555-1212 ext. 123".

Throwing out expired or rotting/spoiled food is one thing. That is common sense & keeps mold/bacteria from spreading to other items nearby. Keeping the fridge clean is laudable, and oftentimes tough to do if you have even one anonymous slob who uses it and doesn't care about cleanliness.

An inter-office memo mentioning the unclaimed ice cream (or evne just a few flyers placed on the fridge and entry/exit doors) would have more than likely prevented this incident. Some common use fridges have a warning on them saying "not responsible for lost/stolen/damaged items stored within - use at your own discretion" or something similar. Those are the "FFA" fridges, where people swipe sodas, yogurts, etc. every so often. Others that use them for storing 'recreation committee' food/drink items will commonly be locked and able to be accessed only by one or a few people.

I think replacing the consumed ice cream would be the responsible thing to do after events transpired the way you have explained. I would also recommend politely telling the ice cream social lady to use her own department's refrigerator for future long term storage needs.

My own office fridge is only used by 3 of us. Two of us are involved in different social organizations and we sometimes use our fridge to hold stuff before/after barbecues and the like. We don't label anything because there are only 3 of us, and our rapport is such that a soda or pizza slice swiped doesn't create a problem. It would probably be a different story if we kept alcohol in there...
Funny little office story. Thanks for sharing it.
Take care,
Old 09-19-2003, 07:28 AM   #15
Caeelar

Send a message via Yahoo to Caeelar
Bah! Bah I say! She has her own damn fridge in her department. If somone came to my house and put food in my fridge, I wouldn't think twice about eating it. Escpecially ice cream!!

Anyone who has had to deal with a community refridgerator knows that there are some things ya just don'e do... Such as 3 litre bottles of coke, huge tubs of icecream, and anything else larger than a lunch box. It's just plain rude to take up that much space for that the time required to finish off anything larger. You have to take into consideration that ALOT of other people are trying to stuff there lunch in that fridge...not to mention the company brita pitcher!

Cae
Caeelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:02 AM   #16
ShardmoonVer.1

Next time you are faced with a situation like this, take the following steps. Eat no more than 2/3rds of the ice cream. Flip the container over and leave it on the counter until it gets nice and soft and settles on the top in a nice even pattern. Replace in the freezer upside down.

They will probably figure it out, but at least you have that small margin of wiggle room to say.... uh... maybe the ice cream people just didnt fill it up all the way.

Or if you are a real ass, hide stuff in the icecream. Nothing says love like finding a finger nail in your cone.

Shardmoon
aka Kiebler
ShardmoonVer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:40 AM   #17
Munkie X

Damnit!! I was camping the F'n Icecream. Man I had my entire guild on call so we could be First in Force. I had covered all the rules, but you had to go in and freaking KS me. I bet I could have even soloed one of the tubs.

Bastards!
Munkie X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:44 AM   #18
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

I am finding it difficult to believe how much some people have to say about this incident.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:47 AM   #19
Zelgadis

I really need to stop refering to my mother as mother while I'm around the work space. Nothing like going up to the boss under orders and going "Mom told me to tell you such and such." Especially when I'm playing my role as a superviser!

Old 09-19-2003, 09:08 AM   #20
Marlous Magnifico

I would have stayed late and ninjad that ice cream home DAY ONE.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:04 AM   #21
Frekkels

Hail,
Originally Posted by Shardmoon
Next time you are faced with a situation like this, take the following steps. Eat no more than 2/3rds of the ice cream. Flip the container over and leave it on the counter until it gets nice and soft and settles on the top in a nice even pattern. Replace in the freezer upside down.
See, now that I find humorous. I wouldn't do it myself to a stranger, but I find the idea extremely funny.

Take care,
Old 09-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #22
ShardmoonVer.1

Its a fine line between humor and disgust. God knows I trip over it often enough.

Shardmoon
aka Kiebler
ShardmoonVer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:42 PM   #23
Dwarkarn

If there is beer in that fridge I am catching the next flight over.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #24
Evyla

I am finding it difficult to believe how much some people have to say about this incident.
It's pretty interesting what subjects will trip a lengthy response when you are sitting next to the office fridge while working 12hr graveyard shifts.
Evyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:38 PM   #25
Kalvarin

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/gay2.jpg
Kalvarin is offline   Reply With Quote