Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Default Tomato thrower death charged

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...6107205410.xml
----------------------------------------------------
Holmes County man is charged in killing of tomato-thrower

09/17/03

Terry Oblander
Plain Dealer Reporter

Holmesville - Jonas Miller said he suspected right away who did it - who snapped that gunfire into a cornfield where pranksters were heaving tomatoes at cars.

It had to be Marion Weaver, Miller thought.

Personally, Miller had no gripe with his neighbor - "we liked him" - but he said others in the mostly Amish community think of Weaver as a hothead who did not easily forgive perceived slights.

Yesterday, authorities charged Weaver, a truck driver who used to deliver ice to Amish families, with murder.

A college graduate and gun enthusiast, Weaver is accused of firing three to five shotgun rounds into the field along Ohio 241 as midnight approached the night of Sept. 1.

About a dozen pranksters were hiding in the field, throwing tomatoes and shooting paintballs at vehicles, one of them Weaver's Cadillac. Steven L. Keim, 23, was the only one shot.

Keim became Holmes County's third homicide victim in over 20 years. And Weaver, 58, whom some regarded as a loner, others a threat, quickly became a suspect.

Tips led to a search of Weaver's home in Benton, where several shotguns were seized. They were compared with evidence from the scene, but Assistant County Prosecutor Stephen Knowling would not discuss details.

Miller told the Associated Press that Weaver knew the victim and his family and had hunted with Keim's father.

"I think he didn't know who he was shooting at when he shot - I'm sure of that," Miller said.

Weaver graduated from Goshen College in Goshen, Ind., in 1968. He lived alone in a run-down ranch home about four miles from the shooting scene and around the corner from his 94-year-old mother, Mary Weaver.

Red paint peels from the L-shaped home.

Several chained and caged dogs bark wildly when a stranger approaches.

Stickers on the window attest to Weaver's love of guns and hunting: National Rifle Association, North American Hunting Club, Safari Club International, Pheasants Forever.

There is also one for Amnesty International.

Jeff Schrock said he met Weaver twice - once when his cousin wanted to talk bow hunting with Weaver and another time when his truck died in Weaver's driveway.

"He was always nice to me. He was a good guy," Schrock said.

Schrock acknowledged that others did not share his opinion.

One neighbor said Weaver had a quick temper, a guy who wouldn't forget the most innocent slight. The neighbor declined to be identified, saying he feared retribution from Weaver's friends.

"If you happened to pass him on the road, you made him mad," the neighbor said. "Then he was your enemy."

Weaver remained in jail on a $250,000 bond. He was arrested after spending the past two weeks in Timken Mercy Medical Center in Canton. Neighbors said Weaver had a heart attack after the shooting, but Knowling would not discuss Weaver's health.

Keim's family said they have forgiven whoever killed the young man, the Associated Press said.

"We pray he turns his life to Christ," Keim's mother, Gladys, told the news service. "God has given us peace, but it's still not easy."
---------------------------------------------------

Yup, the guy who shot into a corn field and killed one teen in a group throwing tomatoes at cars is now arrested. I don't know who's the bigger fucktard, him or the kids. Although it does sound like it was a wild shot, not aimed, it's still manslaughter. Plus he doesn't sound like a nice guy either, by all accounts.

What bugs me the most is the kid's family is all fine with his death... if the killer "turns his life to Christ." Don't make your kid a fucking martyr.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:15 AM   #2
Jada

Actually, they just said they
"We pray he turns his life to Christ,"
...not that they would forgive if he did

And just like you would, I suppose, be hate-filled and angry and whatever else, they have a right to feel the way they want.

Personally I respect a family that could say that and mean it.

Old 09-17-2003, 08:17 AM   #3
kalrie
Priestess of Pie

Send a message via AIM to kalrie Send a message via Yahoo to kalrie
Hello reading comprehension... The family didn't say the death was okay if the killer turned his life to Christ. They said that they prayed he would do so.

Would you prefer they pray that he remain a hotheaded man who fires gunshots at random?
kalrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Eh, I skimmed, my bad. They are praying he does that, but to me it amounts to the same thing. Still, your kid dies, I'd expect outrage, not religious drivel.

You're right though, if they truly mean they harbor no hard feelings... more power to em. There's plenty of hate out there for all of us, no need for more.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:00 AM   #5
darue_ivywood

Still, your kid dies, I'd expect outrage, not religious drivel.

I think can be answered by your next comment...

You're right though, if they truly mean they harbor no hard feelings... more power to em. There's plenty of hate out there for all of us, no need for more.

Its actually good to know some can 'turn the other cheek' rather than 'an eye for an eye'.

Maybe the 'meek shall inherit the earth' after all.

and I agree... There IS plenty of hate out there, no need to create more.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #6
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Yup, the guy who shot into a corn field and killed one teen in a group throwing tomatoes at cars is now arrested. I don't know who's the bigger fucktard, him or the kids.
He confessed? uh no. just becuase someone is arrested and charged does not mean they are guilty. there is a thing called due process. Maybe those amish have a special technique nobody else has of tracing shotgun pellets to shotguns.

Oh and Grats you for needing to make another topic about this fucking stupid thing.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:53 PM   #7
Revel UI4LIFE

Bah!

Its not God i hate, just cant stand his fanclub.
Revel UI4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:23 PM   #8
Azraelwrath

[/QUOTE] Its not God i hate, just cant stand his fanclub.[QUOTE]

I agree with you there. They are Amish. Their life revolves around God and ancient stuff
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #9
ShardmoonVer.1

If this guy got this pissed off with a few tomatos thrown at his car, imagine how mad those nuts being thrown at his chin for the next 20 to 40 years are gonna make him.

Shardmoon
aka Kiebler
ShardmoonVer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:01 AM   #10
TavianX

Yup, the guy who shot into a corn field and killed one teen

It wasn't a teen. The guy that was killed was in his 20's.

Kreep
TavianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:35 AM   #11
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

/laff Shardmoon

He was card carrying NRA? Wow that's UNBELIEVABLE that he is a trigger happy psycho!!!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:34 AM   #12
Wyvern

Why are people making fun of the Amish in this thread?

That county has only had 3 homicides in 20 YEARS. And homicides do not necessarily mean murder either.

I am not Amish, I do not understand Amish culture. But I can understand the citizens there are doing *something* correct insofar as homicide goes in that county compared to the other parts of America. Esp when you add in the fact the accused killer here was not Amish.

Personally I think it is sad that someone cannot believe the victim's parent's lack the capacity or spiritual enlightenment to pray for the soul of the accused. If these parents were shaolin priests or buddhist monks or the Dalai Lama, I bet nobody would doubt them or ridicule them if they said they hoped the accused's soul would find enlightenment. But because the Amish definition of God is a little closer to the typical Judeo-Christian version it's suddenly ok to ridicule and belittle their beliefs.

Hypocrites.

Wyvern
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:11 PM   #13
ShardmoonVer.1

I knew I forgot something in my first post. How can I pass up a chance to make fun of the one group I absolutely know wont read this thread.

Anyways, wasnt the victim a Mennonite? An entire religion based off deodorant.

Shardmoon
aka Kiebler
ShardmoonVer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:16 PM   #14
Grammaw

Send a message via AIM to Grammaw Send a message via Yahoo to Grammaw
Shardmoon,

Mennonites don't live in Arid locales. But thats no Secret, I am Sure.
Grammaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:30 PM   #15
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Damn, somethin stinks around here...

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 02:27 PM   #16
Irulan Dunedancer

Grammaw: Ouch, that made my head hurt.
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
"Don't say I'm out of touch/ With this rampant chaos - your reality/ I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge/ The nightmare I built my own world to escape"
Irulan Dunedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:23 PM   #17
Deathands

He lived alone in a run-down ranch home about four miles from the shooting scene and around the corner from his 94-year-old mother, Mary Weaver.

Red paint peels from the L-shaped home.

Several chained and caged dogs bark wildly when a stranger approaches.

Stickers on the window attest to Weaver's love of guns and hunting: National Rifle Association, North American Hunting Club, Safari Club International, Pheasants Forever.
You might be a redneck if.........you are this guy.

Deathands
62 Necro
Deathands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:30 PM   #18
Irulan Dunedancer

Heh, seems like the wrong part of the country to be finding a redneck...
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
"Don't say I'm out of touch/ With this rampant chaos - your reality/ I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge/ The nightmare I built my own world to escape"
Old 09-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #19
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

If these parents were shaolin priests or buddhist monks or the Dalai Lama, I bet nobody would doubt them or ridicule them if they said they hoped the accused's soul would find enlightenment. But because the Amish definition of God is a little closer to the typical Judeo-Christian version it's suddenly ok to ridicule and belittle their beliefs.
Well Shaolin monks aren't out in the streets holding up traffic with their carts and buggies either. Though they could hold up traffic by flipping out and killing people with their kung fu...and that would be AWESOME!!! Shaolin monks are almost as cool as ninjas.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:51 PM   #20
Irulan Dunedancer

Riiiiiiiight... Who let Araya out of his box, and why didn't they give him his meds?
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
Old 09-20-2003, 01:47 AM   #21
Spritle

Default The Horror

I find this quite disturbing. Just proof that tomatos are out of control in this country. There should be a strict waiting period and background check before purchasing a tomato. People don't kill people, tomatos do.
Spritle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 02:13 AM   #22
Ulujain

Irulan, this may mean nothing but I cackle to myself everytime I see or hear medication referred to as "meds". Meds are a brand of tampon where I'm from.

Sorta along the same lines as the "fanny" situation.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:11 AM   #23
Quichon

Originally Posted by Irulan Dunedancer
Heh, seems like the wrong part of the country to be finding a redneck...
Well, if the shoe (or in this case, shotgun holster) fits...

Proof that rednecks can breed anywhere. Sorta like cocroaches, mosquitos, and linebackers.

Although I would have to wonder about his redneck license. After all, wasn't the reason he was seriously being brought up was that he drove past several times and then had to drive home to get his shotgun? Any real redneck worth his beer belly would clearly already have his firearm in a holster in his pickup truck. That he had to drive all the way home to get it indicates a serious lack of firearms in his vehicle.

Oh, Ulujain, that's about like my friend Randolph (Randy) who went to London to visit some cousins. From what I gather, the introductions were... embarrasing.

Swifttail of 60 seasons
Quichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 07:43 AM   #24
Irulan Dunedancer

Dammit, Ulu, don't make me figure out where you live and go bug you and Cel!
46 Ranger (semi-retired)