Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2003, 05:55 AM   #1
Pawt Of`Gold

Default clarity

Hi e-marr
Normally i am not one to rant, but this whole clarity thing has been bugging me and i need to bitch about it =p
Lately i have asked a few clerics to come replace me in the xp groups. The first thing i am asked is "is there an enchanter in the group or do i need to go get kei?" If you suck so bad you need clarity to heal at least you could go get it before you stick LFG on and make me wait while you go buy buffs. The other day i even had a cleric turn down my group offer because he couldn't get clarity. WAKE UP!! it's a BUFF!! If you NEED clarity to heal you need to change your class or something, because that's bad.
I've even got group offers and been told "go get kei because thee os no enchanter here" i reply with i can heal my groups with out clarity and i usually get a "wow cool" I just think that people need to seriously lay off the crack. I mean 9 times out of 10 there is going to be some type of mana regen in an xp group anyway. Hell save all that cash you would spend on buying clarity and buy a mount or some FT.
Pawt Of`Gold
Pawt Of`Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:03 AM   #2
romadranger

Woot!!! I Love you Pawt!!! about time someone has some sense in playing there char.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:15 AM   #3
StruzortheGnome

Send a message via AIM to StruzortheGnome
lol

A day may come, when the courage of gnomes fails
This is not that day
StruzortheGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:03 AM   #4
Toein

You mean Clerics Don't get Mass Cann?
all of you are skilled assmunchers
Toein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
Kurupt

What's KEI?
Old 09-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
Kallysti

KEI is a crutch! And amen to that! Nice to have and all for sure but by no means a necessity

Sometimes there is no answer.
Kallysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:42 AM   #7
Taevitus
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Taevitus
The problem with KEI is not only is it so grossly powerful, but it lasts forever aswell. It should come as no surprise that many people grew up as crack babies when it made you 130% more efficient at soloing/grouping. People who are dependant upon KEI to play their class are by no means what I want to be grouping with, but I can at least see how they became victims of their addiction to such an awesome spell.

At first I chose to grab an occasional KEI for a few occasions where I thought it would really make a differance (usually soloing), then I stepped it up a bit, and finally, I was grabbing a KEI whenever I could. Stun, Stun, Group Heal, Stun, Yaulp..non-stop, thanks to KEI. When it wore off, however, I tone it down, Group Heals only when necessary, stuns only on casters or in real emergencies to get aggro...but it is real easy to get caught up in it.

Now think of a person who has played with KEI for so long, that they have literally customized their playing style to it. KEI fades, and they do not know what to do. Cleric who bitches about being Low on mana..then you tell them 'try sitting down'. Cleric who throws out Sup heals non-stop..how about waiting for one big CH bomb, eh? Casters using the biggest and best constantly, going OOM on pull #3. This is why crack babies are dangerous, but like I said earlier, I can see how they became that way. It sometimes takes a concious effort not to become dependant on it. On the flip side, knowing how to play your class without it (woot!) really keeps you self-sufficient.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams; -- World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers, Of the world for ever, it seems.

Taevitus A'Nimus
Taevitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #8
Sanaddar

How about those clerics who run oom with c5 on? I know a couple of clerics who frequently do that.
Kapyn Morgan [56 Conjurer]
Guild leader of <Gnomish Alcohol Brigade>
RETIRED 12/03
RE-RETIRED 9/04

Everquest 2
Kapyn Morgyn[24 Gnome Dirge] [16 Scholar]
Guk Server
RETIRED 1/05

"Go then, there are other worlds than these" - Jake Chambers The Dark Tower
Sanaddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #9
Kittenpurr

Yeah I can handle grouping without crack...chain pulling in IC in PoV for 16 hrs with a group member that changed every hour so (ie yay rebuffing ) is an interesting experience.

But you lay down these blanket criticisms without background info...what was the group makeup? What camp did you have? What was your role as a cleric? Yes...what was your role as a cleric? It's not all sit on your ass and heal.

My last LDON grp last night consisted of a Necro, an SK, a Pally, a BL and Wiz. Hmm..ldon, well there goes my mount. No Chanter or Bard? Yeah so that made me the Pacifier (pally pac not possible) at 350mana per mob...42 second pac so re pac'ing every multi pull. Pac failed? Then me and the necro got to CC with him mezzing undead and me rooting what not undead was on me..or the wiz rooting what wasn't and the OTs grabbing what they could when root/mez was resisted. Some mobs dispelled so that meant rebuffing. O yeah...and add in the usual job of keeping everyone healed. Then throw in being on the constant move and under a time constraint. Even with KEI, BL crack, and the occasional twitches when the necro wasn't lower mana than I was, I was never above 50m the whole adventure.

So am I relagated to your "suck so bad you need clarity to heal" club? If you're going to make inclusive statements that lump every cleric who might judge they need some kind of mana help to keep the grp alive and prosperous, expect people to get offended. Here is my suggestion-

How about you play your character how you want and let us play our characters how we want and you STFU.
Venerable Eatbugz ~ 65 Beastlord
Kittenpurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:42 PM   #10
Taevitus
Supporter

LDoN can be a bit of an exception. Some people I have grouped with in LDoN have been as a brutal as a slave driver when it comes to finishing adventure objectives in record times. Not that I am saying that is wrong, more often than not, the only thing that seperates adventure success from failure is 5 minutes. I am saying though - that when you have a group pushing hard and fast to finish an adventure, there really isn't much pity for those low on mana, and never time to med. I was in one group where I literally had to do half of Mistmoore Catacombs oom...I was crying and begging for mercy the whole way, but the group pressed on. KEI is a must IMO when med breaks are not an option.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams; -- World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers, Of the world for ever, it seems.

Taevitus A'Nimus
Old 09-14-2003, 03:36 PM   #11
FurryCrew

Originally Posted by Taevitus
LDoN can be a bit of an exception. Some people I have grouped with in LDoN have been as a brutal as a slave driver when it comes to finishing adventure objectives in record times. Not that I am saying that is wrong, more often than not, the only thing that seperates adventure success from failure is 5 minutes. I am saying though - that when you have a group pushing hard and fast to finish an adventure, there really isn't much pity for those low on mana, and never time to med. I was in one group where I literally had to do half of Mistmoore Catacombs oom...I was crying and begging for mercy the whole way, but the group pressed on. KEI is a must IMO when med breaks are not an option.
LDoN was like made for bards...along with the superior single pulling and CC skills i can pump out better mana regen than C5.

As a result i've never heard of a master OOM in any LDoN group i've been in...and the clerics are ussually meeling full time (and why not specially against undead with that insane summoned hammer or VZ hammer)
FurryCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:09 PM   #12
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

Encounters these days are certainly doable without KEI but why would you want to do it? It's readily available and lasts forever.

The game has pretty much been balanced around the idea that everyone has KEI anyway since the spell went live.

I don't see a problem with it.

The game has been dumbed down in much more fundamental ways than creating a need for KEI anyways so who cares? It's not like anything in this game is difficult.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:26 PM   #13
Pawt Of`Gold

I think i found one of thoes clerics i was talking about in my origional post *cough* kittenpurr *cough*
Pawt Of`Gold
Old 09-14-2003, 06:36 PM   #14
Fyre/Eliri

I did an LDON group with a warrior, 2 rangers, monk, BL and myself.

And I had c2 for the first 10 mins!! /flex =p we went way under time too! (although 4 adds + named guy = smacketh.. and the rangers were the ones standing at the end.. wtf! *grin*)

If the buff is there, why not? I get run by KEI's or c5 all the time. Am I supposed to click it off just because I'd be less of a cleric if I didn't?

Clerics may also be asking because higher mana regen = faster pull rate = faster xp per hour! Escpecially in places like BoT where the extra mana might help save the group from stupid_train_56
Fyre/Eliri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:32 PM   #15
Kittenpurr

Obviously you missed my point completely Pawt, but if it makes you feel any better...

Yeah I NEED to have KEI..I'm a total luser without KEI and can't function in any capacity...I have no skills as a cleric, player of eq or a human being in real life. You are soooo right..please forgive me.

<I learned long ago it's pointless to argue with the eternally retarded>
Venerable Eatbugz ~ 65 Beastlord
Kittenpurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:20 PM   #16
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Jleah/Kittenpurr is one of the better clerics out there, and I've grouped with her consistently enough to know from experience. I've been grouped with her many times when neither of us had KEI, and we did just fine. Now she'll probably /bonk me for standing up for her where she doesn't need it.

I play a shaman that likes to have KEI as a luxury. On the other hand, I don't need it to play, and I group quite a bit without it. Granted, I have canni, which kinda makes KEI less of a necessity. Point being, if you can play your class and spend your mana efficiently, having KEI is just icing on the cake. In some cases it gives you the little boost to make you more efficient. In the event where you depend on it to be able to group, sure, I'd call it a problem.

When I'm headed to a group, I'll get KEI if someone's casting it and I have the cash on me to donate for it. I have asked, "Is there KEI in the group or do I need to get it before I come?", but I'm by no means dependant on it. Not everyone fits into the crack-baby stereotype.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:26 PM   #17
Xargylex

I blame the clarity situation on Brigiid. JK Brig The thing that bugs me the most about the high demand for clarity is the high demand for "extended" clarity. Two hours not long enough anymore?
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending
A wanderer, harried through many years
Xargylex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:31 PM   #18
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Bah, big mean enchie!

But yeah, I agree. KEI is KEI. Granted, some lasts longer than others, but I always feel bad for the enchies that get turned down because someone wants the new and improved version over theirs. I've seen my enchie friends be so happy to ding 60th and have the money to get the spell, then to have people turn 'em down 'cuz it's not good enough.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:53 PM   #19
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

I think i found one of thoes clerics i was talking about in my origional post *cough* kittenpurr *cough*
Pawt, leave being a dick to those better equipped for it.

Kittenpurr is right. If a cleric is going to be relied upon for pacification, healing, and CC...KEI is pretty much required in order to win in LDoN. Pacify costs a fuckton of mana and doesn't always work...yet it's the fastest/best method of CC.

You can do a LOT of things without KEI but why the hell would you want to? This game is about min/max first and foremost.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:03 PM   #20
Pawt Of`Gold

A lot of you have missed my point, my post is aimed at the poeple that feel they NEED kei to play their class. Sure kei can produce more xp and make your life a LOT easier. By all means if there's a kei going off in pok, nexus, whatever, why not stop for a sec and grab it? It's the NEED for kei that pisses me off and the people that can not play their class with out it
Pawt Of`Gold
Old 09-14-2003, 10:26 PM   #21
Kemora

Send a message via AIM to Kemora
Fuck KEI, I can't function without C5!

AIM: Kemorakementari
Kemora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:07 AM   #22
shadowedspawn

Pfft on Kei! Lich + ft7 + AA Horsie is all I need and most times I dont even bother w/ the horse casue it's hard as hell to fight on the back of that thing when the mob is moving =\.

He who laughs alone at night does so in contemplation of his own evil.

"My name and dildos both brought up without my presence.
*tear*
My life's work is complete."
- Fanon sums up his lifes greatest work.
shadowedspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:59 AM   #23
Taevitus
Supporter

Fuck KEI, I can't function without C5!
Enchie hooked my group up just before we went into Mistmoore with C5.

We ate the dungeon like it was a snack. If that makes me wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Taevitus A'Nimus
Old 09-15-2003, 02:02 AM   #24
Dakat

Stop and think about this for a moment. Do you think its entirely the cleric's fault for needing KEI? Who is in charge of the overall pace of the group? Main Healer. When they are OOM what happens then. People are so used to the fast pace of exping with a cleric who seems to never run out of mana due to they having KEI, butloads of AA, and gear that gives mana regen. Well what happens when you group with that 54 cleric who does not have KEI, AA or the gear. Even at 54, cleric not well equipped will not be able to keep up in LDoN adventures or any other high mob zones without some form of mana regen or be prepared to have alot of downtimes in between. Which I think is probably why the cleric was wanting KEI if in a POP or LDoN group. Mobs hit hard and at the lower levels without the gear and aa, its hard to keep up.

I was on an alt the other day. I had C3 and a 59 bard playing mana song constantly. I was running out of mana constantly. I was main healer. Level 48 cleric and was in PoP group at GY of PoI. The main tank was a 53 warrior which seemed to be wearing crafted, because I would use 60% of my mana just healing him every fight. 47 was too low for that zone when mobs are hitting for 288 on a consistant basis. In this case, with KEI it was not helping.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:19 AM   #25
Maceblade

Send a message via Yahoo to Maceblade
Donals Bracer of Mourning --- ac16 effect pacify....
Maceblade is offline   Reply With Quote