Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
Toxx

Default Opinions on lost dungeons of norrath?

I just ordered every expansion from Ykesha to the original, for $27 with free shipping at Amazon.com. The deal does not come with the two newest expansions. It would be rather useless to ask an opinion on the gates of discord, however lost dungeons of norrath has been out for awhile. I trust this servers opinion...

(When my shipment arrives, I'll be starting from level 1. I'm just curious about the expansion that I'm missing. )
Old 02-13-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Lots of mid level groups seem to like going through dungeon adventures, so when you play you're probably going to be asked to group in adventures quite often. I think you can start at level 20 for LDON groups.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
Loreat

My thoughts are that the LDoN expansion was worth it. LDoN creates instanced dungeons for your group to adventure on. That is to say they are created when you get an adventure, and only your group is in that zone. Some other zones you would find that you are racing for certain mobs; not so in LDoN.

Ultimately, it depends on your playing style. If you intend to completely immerse yourself into the game, and join one of the power guilds, then LDoN is probably not needed. You'll be too busy on the planes. But if you want to be more of a casual player, but still enjoy some challenges, then I would suggest picking up LDoN.

Just my 2cp
Grishmak, Orc Warrior - WoW, Argent Dawn
Loreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
turcopole

I dont think you will be missing much at level 1. LDoN is useless to you for the time being since you cant do the missions until lvl 20 (I think). GoD seems to be mostly for the high end game though there must be some content for lower levels since they introduced a new berzerker class. The EQ Evolutions bundle should be more than enough content to keep you entertained for a little while at least. You can always pick up LDON next month or so when you can actually use it.

-Turc
turcopole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

I think you should have stayed away from everquest. Bad monkey! Monkey gets shocked now. BzzZzzttt
Old 02-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
Toxx

Thanks for the replies. I guess I won't waste my next paycheck on anything else just yet.

Originally Posted by Lurkerr
I think you should have stayed away from everquest. Bad monkey! Monkey gets shocked now. BzzZzzttt
Thank you for your contribution to the thread.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
Kulani Autumnwood

If I was rating the expansions in terms of which to get now and which to hold off on for a time or all time depending... i.e, the first on the list is the most important to get.

Lost Dungeons of Norrath (for all around grouping goodness)
Legacy of Ykesha (for maps and bankspace)
Planes of Power (for transportation)
Luclin (for the bazaar and some ok low level zones)
Kunark (not for any real reason, but I guess it has to be on the list somewhere)
Velious (see kunark)
Gates of Discord (because it'll be 100% useless until level 65 unless you want a berserker)

I'm thinking I missed one. Oh well, it'll come to me eventually if I did.
Kulani Autumnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Deadscale

LDoN is very worth it. It gives newcomers a chance to equip themselves by earning pts from adventures and then spending them on equipment at camps, without worrying about paying an enormous amount of plat for x item if you choose to start from scratch. In the mid-50s my necro was getting at least 100pp+ an adventure. Believe the lvl to join adventures might have been knocked down to 16 as well, not sure tho.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #9
Deadscale

Kunark (not for any real reason, but I guess it has to be on the list somewhere)
She lies, she enjoys leezard loving! She loves Kunark!
Old 02-13-2004, 03:00 PM   #10
Gunjin

...rating the expansions in terms of which to get now and which to hold off...
Does this mean I can buy/install any expansion at any order?
I want LDoN, and GoD but I really don't want to get LoY

I've always wondered about that whenever I'm thinking of coming back.
Gunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:09 PM   #11
Equinol

I hate all of those "Do you want to group?" messeges, not worth it IMO

(I'm serious, it annoys me to no end.)

But really, the exp sucks, and if your not level 65 good luck getting enough points for good items/drops. The spells are way over priced, would take me 30+ adv to get some of them. But, if you're 65 and like dungeon crawls, it's worth a shot.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #12
BarrymoreYorke1

The XP rocks in LDON for midlevels.

I heard a rumour yesterday that it's now open to level 15 and up, so I'll see about taking in one of my baby toons and seeing how things go for them.

That's just typical of Sullivan, how anyone can manage to fall down a whacking great subsidence like that. . . .
BarrymoreYorke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:18 PM   #13
Toxx

Well I guess the paycheck after next is already spent.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:58 PM   #14
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
What kind of character did you create?

Give me a tell this weekend...maybe I'll hang out with you for a few hours and throw some Cleric Temperance/Druid Regen & DS lovin' your way.

Temperence, if you've been away that long, is a 800 HP buff that lasts about an hour and a half (is that right??)... costs a peridot.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:02 PM   #15
Wulfhere

Personally I am very dissapointed by LDoN, and if I could send it back for the money I spent on it I would in a heartbeat. The dungeons are cookie cutter, once you have done 10 or so adventures in each area you will never see anything new or different. The mob graphics are awesome, but would have been better used in a dungeon with Static spawns like OS imo. LDoN is taking the xp grind to the worst extreme, and is mindless, skilless, boring gameplay that is only useful if you don't have time to do something that is truly fun, and if thats the case, why are you even playing the game if its not fun?
The instanced dungeon idea is great, hopefully in GoD they have instanced dungeons made in the old style that allow leisurely, or not leisurely crawling, whatever your preference. Fighting the clock in LDoN, in a dungeon that doesn't respawn, and has no danger of anything except running out of time is LAME.

All that said, yes, you will still see me in LDoN, because I need the same damn augments everyone else does =)

Wulf
Wulfhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:22 PM   #16
ShardmoonVer.1

I am glad I bought LDON. I get to touch many peoples lives with the gift of my presence. I am sure they would agree.

Its a pretty good expansion for the person with limited play time.

Kiebler

/holds up his hands to stifle the applause.
ShardmoonVer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:38 PM   #17
Dakat

Well, LDoN is for 20th level + and GoD is for the higher end level 55+. So if you are just starting, there is no real reason to buy them this very second. However they do provide other benefits beside having a place to level. Using the Camps with LDoN does provide a way to get around Norrath even if you are not actually doing an Adventure. With GoD you get a new class and new skills as well. For when you do decide to get them, LDoN provided an easier way to get a group, which is what it was intended for. With every expansion the higher end guilds and groups are mainly interested in new content that only a new expansion would provide. About every 6 months or so, there will probably be another expansion. They have to keep the older players interested in the game. This is where SOE makes most of their money, not from people just joining but from the continued subscribtions of older members.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
Dakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 03:20 AM   #18
Linweilu

I can only play 2-3 hours a day because of my work schedule. LDoN has been a godsend to me. Normally I would spend those hours looking for a group only to end up camping before I could find one. Now I can log on, do a quick adventure, and then run off to work. I now have semi decent gear and a regular bunch of people I can almost always count on for a group. LDoN is well worth it in my opinion.
Linweilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:25 AM   #19
Daleldor

Default Ldon

I bought the Everquest Evolutions and LDON expansions on the same day (release day of LDON). I could have easily just bought LDON since that was all i played for two months straight. But its also the reason im back play EQ the way i did back when i first started four years ago, i think i would have quit again, otherwise, there just isnt enough interest to keep me going. But LDON did the trick, now its not as much fun, but a pick up group is good, i like being able to find a group that is definitely going to hang for two hrs, instead of most of the junk you pick up in zones with people coming and going without any notice...
Daleldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:07 AM   #20
laazlo

I too am back playing EQ thanks to LDON. I've had a blast playing again. And I get groups with in minutes of logging on. The xp is great for PC's 20+. Best buy yet IMO.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:10 AM   #21
Toxx

Originally Posted by Martigan
What kind of character did you create?

Give me a tell this weekend...maybe I'll hang out with you for a few hours and throw some Cleric Temperance/Druid Regen & DS lovin' your way.

Temperence, if you've been away that long, is a 800 HP buff that lasts about an hour and a half (is that right??)... costs a peridot.

Whoa there batman, that's crazy. I haven't created a character yet, I should have my order next week sometime. I'll definately drop you a tell though.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It seems as though the general consensus is that it would be worth my money once I've settled in.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:42 PM   #22
Graiden

Send a message via AIM to Graiden
Hey Toxx buddy, Shoot me a tell in game when you make a character
Old 02-14-2004, 01:55 PM   #23
Kinbien

Originally Posted by Gunjin
Does this mean I can buy/install any expansion at any order?
I want LDoN, and GoD but I really don't want to get LoY
Actually I'd get LoY just for the extra 8 slots in the bank that alone is worth the $30. And GoD is worth it for the tradeskill window update alone.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:06 PM   #24
Toxx

Originally Posted by Graiden
Hey Toxx buddy, Shoot me a tell in game when you make a character

Will do. You're never on aim anymore.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:26 PM   #25
Kulani Autumnwood

Originally Posted by Kinbien
Actually I'd get LoY just for the extra 8 slots in the bank that alone is worth the $30. And GoD is worth it for the tradeskill window update alone.
The tradeskill UI enhancement and GoD are entirely separate, they just happened to launch at the same time.

Bank and LoY might be separate too... I'm not really sure, because I only have one friend without Ykesha, except for some reason he was able to dye himself once (and can't change back LOL) and has the extra bank slots, but no maps. So I have no idea.
Kulani Autumnwood is offline   Reply With Quote