Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default Torturing Lobster?

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- A new study out of Norway concludes it's unlikely lobsters feel pain, stirring up a long-simmering debate over whether Maine's most valuable seafood suffers when it's being cooked.

Animal activists for years have claimed that lobsters are in agony when being cooked, and that dropping one in a pot of boiling water is tantamount to torture.

The study, funded by the Norwegian government and written by a scientist at the University of Oslo, suggests lobsters and other invertebrates such as crabs, snails and worms probably don't suffer even if lobsters do tend to thrash in boiling water.

"Lobsters and crabs have some capacity of learning, but it is unlikely that they can feel pain," concluded the 39-page report, aimed at determining if creatures without backbones should be subject to animal welfare legislation as Norway revises its animal welfare law.

Lobster biologists in Maine have maintained for years that the lobster's primitive nervous system and underdeveloped brain are similar to that of an insect. While lobsters react to different stimuli, such as boiling water, the reactions are escape mechanisms, not a conscious response or an indication of pain, they say.

"It's a semantic thing: No brain, no pain," said Mike Loughlin, who studied the matter when he was a University of Maine graduate student and is now a biologist at the Maine Atlantic Salmon Commission.

The Norwegian report also reinforces what people in the lobster industry have always contended, said Bob Bayer, executive director of the Lobster Institute, a research and education organization in Orono.

"We've maintained all along that the lobster doesn't have the ability to process pain," Bayer said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an animal rights organization based in Norfolk, Virginia, has made lobster pain part of its Fish Empathy Project, putting out stickers and pamphlets with slogans such as "Being Boiled Hurts. Let Lobsters Live." Group supporters regularly demonstrate at the Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland.

PETA's Karin Robertson called the Norwegian study biased, saying the government doesn't want to hurt the country's fishing industry.

"This is exactly like the tobacco industry claiming that smoking doesn't cause cancer," she said.

Robertson said many scientists believe lobsters do feel pain. For instance, a zoologist with The Humane Society of the United States made a written declaration that lobsters can feel pain after a chef dismembered and sauteed a live lobster to prepare a Lobster Fra Diavolo dish on NBC's "Today" show in 1994.

It's debatable whether the debate will ever be resolved.

The Norwegian study, even while saying it's unlikely that crustaceans feel pain, also cautioned that more research is needed because there is a scarcity of scientific knowledge on the subject.

And, many consumers will always hesitate at placing lobsters in boiling pots of water.

New Englanders may feel comfortable cooking their lobsters, but people outside the region often feel uneasy about boiling a live creature, said Kristen Millar, executive director of the Maine Lobster Promotion Council.

"Consumers don't generally greet and meet an animal before they eat it," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science....ap/index.html
I feel so much better about eating lobster now that I know they aren't being tortured to death.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
What a coincidence. My cousin just sent me a video clip last night of his dad cutting live crabs in half as they twitched on the cutting board.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
Rheaton

I thought that hearing them squeel and pop in the pressure cooker was part of the lobster-eating experience
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Heretic

Thanks for reminding me how sometimes I hope the human race does go extinct.
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
ShardmoonVer.1

Dont be a talker, Heretic, be a doer. Start us on the path to extinction. Slam your one functioning testicle in a desk drawer.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Well, don't let us hold you up, Heretic

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Heretic
Thanks for reminding me how sometimes I hope the human race does go extinct.
I hope that the next time I eat a lobster the butter sauce tastes better.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
Heretic

Originally Posted by Shard
Dont be a talker, Heretic, be a doer. Start us on the path to extinction. Slam your one functioning testicle in a desk drawer.
Well, I guess weeding out the smart people of the future generation and allowing people like yourself to propagate does help the process along.
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Old 02-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
As long as sex feels good...there will be babies.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
ShardmoonVer.1

What the fuck was that supposed to be?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #11
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1
What the fuck was that supposed to be?
I guess boiled lobster makes Martigan think about sex?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
ShardmoonVer.1

Martigan I get. It was Heretics quote and response that left me scratching my balls. I mean really, what the hell was that all about?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
Heretic

ROFL, what the hell was that Martigan.

Heretic
Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 AM   #14
Rheaton

Red Lobster = Red Snapper = Sex.

I get the connection.. loosers!
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #15
Heretic

Originally Posted by myself
allowing people like yourself to propagate does help the process along.
Martigan I get.
I prove my point.

It was Heretics quote and response that left me scratching my balls.
Oh, come on. You were doing that anyway.

Heretic
Old 02-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #16
ShardmoonVer.1

And?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:01 AM   #17
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

NE clambake for the win
Old 02-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #18
Wildane

ROFL, what the hell was that Martigan.
In response to your statement regarding the extinction of man, Martigan was just commenting on the notion that the human race shall forever thrive.
I prove my point.
What point, that Shardmoon understood what Martigan was saying while you didn't?

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #19
Heretic

Originally Posted by Wildane
In response to your statement regarding the extinction of man, Martigan was just commenting on the notion that the human race shall forever thrive.
Well thats an awful fucked up way of saying it. I never said we would go extinct from lack of sex anway. I swear, Martigan's comment came outta left field like another "I got your idiot hanging".

What point, that Shardmoon understood what Martigan was saying while you didn't?
Exactly, I guess I can add you to the list as well.

Heretic
Old 02-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #20
ShardmoonVer.1

"Your on the list, Winger"
Old 02-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #21
Wildane

Well thats an awful fucked up way of saying it. I never said we would go extinct from lack of sex anway. I swear, Martigan's comment came outta left field like another "I got your idiot hanging".
You still don't get it. As long as we continue to procreate, the human race won't die out. The fact that you couldn't figure that out makes me glad you're putting me on whatever list you're not.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #22
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
It wasn't that far outta left field. You just didn't get it. Just for future reference, you were implying that you were part of the intelligent part of the gene pool, right?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #23
Azraelwrath

No brain, no pain
That explains how athletes are good.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:53 AM   #24
Heretic

You still don't get it. As long as we continue to procreate, the human race won't die out.
Are you that dense? Who is saying that we are going to stop fucking? Is there a single person our there that things we will go extinct for such a reason?

Originally Posted by Brigiid
Just for future reference, you were implying that you were part of the intelligent part of the gene pool, right?
Yes, and anyone who think we will go extinct from lack of sex and making children is clearly not intelligent.

Heretic
Old 02-16-2005, 03:00 AM   #25
Wildane

Are you that dense? Who is saying that we are going to stop fucking? Is there a single person our there that things we will go extinct for such a reason?

Yes, and anyone who think we will go extinct from lack of sex and making children is clearly not intelligent.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!