Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #26
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
Hey, but if you think it is perfectly reasonable to allow schools to call the cops to haul away children in handcuffs without calling parents over something like a drawing, more power to you
Why not? It's apparently reasonable for the school to not call the parents over things like kids having abortions, what's the big stretch?

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #27
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

bingo
Old 02-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #28
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Brigiid
I'm not sure how 'up' on criminal law you are, but the schools can only call the police out to investigate. The police have to decide whether it's arrest-worthy or not. If a child is arrested in most states, the parents have to be notified at some point during the process, but it's not necessarily required prior to removing them from the school. Whether that's the way it works in Florida or not, I don't know. It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable, given the comparison to other states.
Brigiid, we're not going to agree on this topic. I don't think you have children, but may be wrong about that. As a parent, if a school called the police on one of my children over a drawing depicting violence, without calling me first, I would be livid! I would file a law suit against the school district, the school's principal, and teachers involved and seek to have them permanetly banned from teaching or administrating in the state.

Yes, if my child was wielding a weapon threatening to kill another student, then I would expect them to haul my child to jail without calling me. That would be a very real safety issue, aside from laws. Having said that you can't convince me that a drawing depiciting violence is an immediate safety issue. We both know that the school principal could have seperated the boys and called the parents to remove their children from the school premises if the drawing truly indicated the 9 and 10 year old were such a grave threat to school security and to other children.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #29
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Wildane
Why not? It's apparently reasonable for the school to not call the parents over things like kids having abortions, what's the big stretch?
Oh, god, if you do exist perform a miracle and give Wildane a brain!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 AM   #30
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Originally Posted by Lurikeen
Brigiid, we're not going to agree on this topic.
You're right, we're not. I think the school has a right to act when they perceive a threat. They have a right to contact law enforcement if they believe it's a serious enough criminal threat. Law enforcement has the right and the responsibility to act on this kind of information. Law enforcement has the right to protect themselves from harm. Parents should be notified, yes.

I'm not gonna tell you what you think here, other than to say that it's clearly quite different from what I've stated above, or you wouldn't be arguing.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #31
Lurikeen
Freaky

You're right, we're not. I think the school has a right to act when they perceive a threat. They have a right to contact law enforcement if they believe it's a serious enough criminal threat. Law enforcement has the right and the responsibility to act on this kind of information. Law enforcement has the right to protect themselves from harm. Parents should be notified, yes.

I'm not gonna tell you what you think here, other than to say that it's clearly quite different from what I've stated above, or you wouldn't be arguing.
I agree with what you are saying above if we don't use the issue as presented by the original posting as the context of the debate. Once we bring the original posting into the debate as the context, we will disagree. I don't see a drawing depicting violence as an immediate threat to a school's security. I understand that you do. Oh, well.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:47 AM   #32
Brigiid

As I said in my first post in this thread...

I think they need to be a little more reasonable about what they're deeming "criminal activity", but when it comes down to a real offense being committed, handcuff the little suckers.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #33
Lurikeen
Freaky

As I said in my first post in this thread...
Shit, I missed that.

Oh, well, nice arguing with you!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #34
Brigiid

Well, you're fired.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #35
Lurikeen
Freaky

Well, you're fired.
Really? Does that mean I can go home now?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #36
Brigiid

No. It just means you won't be getting paid for it.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #37
Lurikeen
Freaky

No. It just means you won't be getting paid for it.
That makes me sad.

Oh, well, I'll just go on welfare and you can pay for it.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #38
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Why not, everybody else does

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote