Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default UN inspectors in Iraq too drunk to do their job

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...16/woil116.xml

UN inspectors 'spent their days drinking'
By Francis Harris
(Filed: 16/02/2005)

UN inspectors in Iraq spent their working hours drinking vodka while ignoring a shadowy nocturnal fleet believed to be smuggling goods for Saddam Hussein, a former senior inspector told the US Senate yesterday.

In a move that provoked fury from officials of the Swiss firm Cotecna, an Australian former inspector detailed a picture of incompetence, indifference and drunkeness among the men acting as the frontline for UN sanctions.

Arthur Ventham, a former Australian army officer and customs officer, joined the operation in 2002 and worked at various sites in Iraq and neighbouring states.

He said that at Iskendurun in eastern Turkey, some officials had refused to work.

When he asked one of his bosses why, he was told: "They were friends or relatives of potential clients, and are only in the mission so the company could secure future contracts in Nigeria, Comoros and another African country.

"When I said that this was unfair on everyone else, I was told that it was general practice in Cotecna."

Other inspectors had spent most of the day in hotel rooms while others drank beer and talked to the local people.

Inspectors were supposed to check lorries to make sure the UN sanctions regime was being enforced.

At another monitoring site where the UN was supposed to check humanitarian aid supplies, Mr Ventham noticed "the team leader and his fellow countrymen [the nationality is unstated] spending the majority of their time in each other's rooms drinking vodka as opposed to managing and leading the team".

There he noticed small vessels and barges moving to a small island each night.

"I mentioned this to a number of other inspectors saying there was plenty of scope for smuggling and what were the UN doing about it.

"I was extremely surprised by the response that it was common knowledge smuggling was going on at Um Qasir [and that] the oil was being sold on the black market to augment the regime."

Cotecna officials said the unheralded release of Mr Ventham's allegations was unfair and that they would respond in detail at a later date. They said Mr Ventham had been dismissed and was a disgruntled former employee.
Cant say i find this surprising
Old 02-16-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

You're right- fired employees often seek to badmouth their former employer- very unsurprising.

As to his allegations, who knows- this article proves very little other than your perpetual hardon for all news related to the UN.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

Chik's just bitter that his application for a UN janitorial job was rejected.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

You take the word of fired employees when they speak against halliburton, why is this different?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Muertissimo

Send a message via AIM to Muertissimo
Because it doesn't support their views duh.
Greylords EQ2 too!
Retired member of
Midnight Fury (r.i.p.)

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse. And his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him."--Revelation 6:8
"Your greatest creation, is the life you lead."
Muertissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by chukzombi
You take the word of fired employees when they speak against halliburton, why is this different?
You don't take their word, so why is this any different?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

You're trying to deflect the issue, you clearly take the word of a disgruntled ex employee when it comes to halliburton or anything that has to do with Bush as a negative but when the UN is exposed over and over again for its incomptetance you give them a pass or attack the accuser becuase they were 'fired' there is a double standard with you people. at least be honest and admit it.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Chuk, have I said the UN is innocent in this instance? I merely pointed out the fact that the story clearly states he is a former employee with this firm who got fired. He may well be telling the truth, but until it's backed up by a remotely objective source it's Yawnsville baby.

Gonna cry?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
Ariochx

Ahhhhhh

But....

"Saddam was completely contained, and the U.N. Sanctions were working as intended..."
Old 02-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
Gauche

Originally Posted by Ariochx
Ahhhhhh

But....

"Saddam was completely contained, and the U.N. Sanctions were working as intended..."

Judging by the lack of WMDs, apparently they were working well enough.

No comment on the article, since there's too little to go on. I certainly believe it's feasible, although the article title suggests that most or all of the inspectors were drinking, where the text says only that some officials refused to work.
Gauche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by chukzombi
You're trying to deflect the issue, you clearly take the word of a disgruntled ex employee when it comes to halliburton or anything that has to do with Bush as a negative but when the UN is exposed over and over again for its incomptetance you give them a pass or attack the accuser becuase they were 'fired' there is a double standard with you people. at least be honest and admit it.
Admit what? That you are a tard? Kk, you are a tard. Feel better now?

Chik, this is a little game you like to play. You post an article of where the big bad UN has gone bad and start wagging the finger you just removed from your boy friend's anus at the board liberals.

Incompetence in government is wrong no matter where we find it and so is corruption.

Now if you truly believe liberals on this board are going to defend incompetence and corruption, then I suspect the Draino you've been snorting has finally reached the last half of the single active brain cell in your skull.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Weak flame weak flame deflect deny deflect deny weak flame
What i expected, you =hypocrite
Old 02-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by chukzombi aka ZolChuck
What i expected, you =hypocrite
That coming from ZolChuck is a compliment.

Thanks little buddy!