Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #26
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Remember this:

The award show exists for the sole purpose of TV audiences. Therefore, they exist to sell ads.

Someone surveyed the demographic most likely to be able to watch, then made suggestions that would either expand their audience further or get their target audience to watch in the highest possible proportions. Awards were given out as necessary to increase ratings.

Am I wrong? Possibly. Is it outrageous? Only if, somehow, you forget that you are watching TV, and that TV has only one purpose, without which it would not exist.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:31 PM   #27
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Free pr0n for people with descramblers?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:51 PM   #28
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
You know that because you mentioned that, a hitman will be arriving at your door within 24 hours. And there's nothing you can do about it.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:02 AM   #29
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Damnit, I should've ordered my laser a week earlier. I hear those things are great for blinding assailants.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:38 AM   #30
Gauche

Originally Posted by AresProphet
Remember this:

The award show exists for the sole purpose of TV audiences. Therefore, they exist to sell ads.

Someone surveyed the demographic most likely to be able to watch, then made suggestions that would either expand their audience further or get their target audience to watch in the highest possible proportions. Awards were given out as necessary to increase ratings.

Am I wrong? Possibly. Is it outrageous? Only if, somehow, you forget that you are watching TV, and that TV has only one purpose, without which it would not exist.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html
Grammy viewership 2nd-lowest ever
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- With "Desperate Housewives" as competitors, the Grammy awards Sunday drew their lowest total viewership in a decade and also fell sharply among the audience of 18- to 49-year-olds most coveted by advertisers, according to preliminary figures released Monday.

Citing data from Nielsen Media Research, CBS said the telecast drew 18.83 million viewers. That was the lowest figure since March 1995 and the second-lowest in the history of Nielsen's Grammy viewership data.

Among the key 18- to 49-year-old age group, CBS said the show drew an 8.1 rating. In comparison, the rating for that audience in 2004 was near 12.

Each ratings point represents 1 percent of homes with television sets.

Sunday's awards were marked by acclaim for the late Ray Charles, who won five posthumous awards, including album of the year and record of the year.

The awards won the 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. prime-time hours relatively easily among total viewers and in the 18-49 ratings. But at 9 p.m. the runaway ABC hit "Desperate Housewives" outdrew the Grammys by nearly 3 million viewers and almost 1.5 points in the 18-49 group.
Gauche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:17 AM   #31
Heretic

including album of the year and record of the year.
The difference?

Probably a stupid question, but how do they know how many people tune into each show and what age the people are?
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #32
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Nielson puts an electronic box in a number of 'average' family's homes all over the US. They already know the ages of the family members in the home and when a show is being watched the electronic box connected to the TV registers which show is being viewed. I guess they also fill out a log of whom was watchiung what .

Cable is more precise becuase every show you watch is counted digitally through your cable box so they dont need an average family to represent a cluster of viewers. they know exactly how many people view waht.