Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2003, 02:26 PM   #1
Syldra Megiste`

Default Some Friends...

Over my time in EQ I've met a lot of people, most of whom I enjoyed every second I've spent fighting with them, guilded with them, raiding with them, etc. However, its been quite frustrating for some time that many 'friends' feel that being a friend is an obligation of service that is sometimes purely an inconvenience to 'my' game play.

Now, I've sacrificed a lot of time and given a lot to my friends, and I feel that I've earned everything that my friends have given and done for me. And sure, it may sound selfish, but Im tired of the guilt trips when I say the group is full, or Im soloing, or when I say 'no I wont PL you'

Just because I PL my characters and have that ability does not mean that Im entitled to do so for my friends.

Just because I can duo on my own does not mean that Im required to let your level 40ish character join my group and leech experience because you cant find a group.

Just because I am on at the same time you usually play, and Im aware of your play time, does not mean that Im obligated to 'save a spot' for you in group.

I will gladly come res my 'friends' if they need a res, I will gladly help them with gear/equipment/quests, and I will gladly spend time with my friends who are close to my level... and I dont ask for anything in return.

But for Christs sake, if my friendship to you is out of sheer convenience because of what my characters are capable of, and the only way I can be your friend is by grouping you, pl'ing you, and babysitting you... fuck off, i dont need friends like that.

My 'friends' are the people who send me tells for no reason, not just when they need a res or want me to PL them. My 'friends' are the people who will tell me goodnight when they log off every time they log off and a simple 'hello how are you doing?' every once in a while.

My 'friends' are the people who will bend over backwards to help me when Im in trouble before I even ask for help and not require anything in return... simply because they know I'd do the same for them.

My 'friends' are the people who will not guilt trip me when I say im busy or the group is full, or that im duoing, etc. My 'friends' are the ones who will ask get an answer and not give me shit for replying with the answer they werent hoping for.

My 'friends' are the people who wont cry like little bitches when they send me tells and I dont reply right away. Not the people who are like 'wtf!' or 'why do I even bother trying to talk to you'... Im sorry I cant give you my undivided attention every time you want it, do you have any idea how many others act the SAME EXACT way that you do?

Anyway, I could go on and on, and perhaps I sound like an ass, but for true yo... one of the things I hate most about this game are the way that people that I once considered friends behave.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
Aeonn Fluxs

Send a message via AIM to Aeonn Fluxs
Wow. Well said!
Aeonn Fluxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
Chiteng
Supporter

Do what Leiran did and make a macro that replies NO.

I hate to say this but...the evidence shows that the 'pushy' player
advances faster. You need to be just as pushy to defend yourself.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:30 PM   #4
Froog

SPOOOOOOOOOON!!!

Froog
Froog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
Kallysti

Honest and for true, yo~
*hugs*

Sometimes there is no answer.
Kallysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:41 PM   #6
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Medion Palemoon
As long as you're always there to argue with me, flame me, and tell my friends they are not as uber as you, that's all that matters

Oh, and I'll always bend over backwords for you :P
Medion Palemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 02:55 AM   #7
Théodwyn

Well said.

*blows on Syldra's belly and runs away*
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 07:07 PM   #8
Kogur
Phatty!

Does this mean no more late night "action with Syldra?" /cry
Kogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:54 PM   #9
Dalamarn Darkgem

I'm sorry hon. I want to use you too.. but just in those naughty ways you like . Too many people are just in the game for themselves. You cant let it bring down your playing experience. (I was going to lick your bellybutton but Theo blew in it, so I'll lick you elsewhere later). As always, you can call on me whenever ya need anything..... especially first-class email deliveries. *wink* Smile lady .
Dalamarn Darkgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:33 AM   #10
Zarney

will you power level me ?

If your torn from something unjustly... something that you loved, and gave your heart to.... then what is left ?? ~ Zarney
Zarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:42 AM   #11
Annastasya

Send a message via Yahoo to Annastasya
Damn well said Syldra!
Annastasya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:45 AM   #12
Syldra Megiste`

Thanks guys.

Please dont misinterpret the point that Im trying to make. Im not bothered by people asking for help with a tradeskill item, or asking me to help with different mobs or raids, invites to groups etc. Its the responses I get from people when I turn them down.

I enjoy getting invited to groups, raids, etc. I do not, however, enjoy guilt trips when I say that Im busy, or logging, or not interested. I get many responses like "No one will help me I hate this game, Im logging and you'll never see me again!" or "Some friend you are!" or "But you PL'd so_and_so!" or "well great, now I'll never get a group, you should have known I'd be on at this time, why didnt you save me a spot?" etc... etc...

Or when I ask a friend who I've helped on many occasions for a simple favor or task and they laugh at me... literally... it makes me realize just how honorable some people are.

Most of my friends are great people who have asked for little or nothing, and know that if they need me, Im there. Most of my friends have also offered their help and assistance and have asked for nothing in return. Most of my friends are great, wonderful people who make the game fun and exciting.

But... there are just too many people who just dont comprehend how ignorant they are.

I have exactly 89 people on my friends list, most of whom I dont speak to half as much as I'd like to, mostly because Im too busy being asked by level 40 monks (who sold their mains and are restarting from scratch) to do their epics for them and get them "phat lewts", or mid 40-50 chars who want me to PL them or do their epics with them when they have no concern for any quests or goals that I may desire.

Anyway... to the people who ask and dont mind being told that I cant help them... ask away

To everyone else... eat me.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:57 AM   #13
Terad

Default "I hate this game"

but ... Syl ...I didn't say I hate this game I just said I was logging and bye ... email me.

Everyone loves yah, lol
Terad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:13 AM   #14
gumbo

Okay,

People seem to be in general support of Syldra's position as am I. Therefore, I will try and hijack this thread ever so slightly because I agree with all those who have posted so far and would like some feedback relative to Syldra's comments.

This doesn't bother me that much, but, have you noticed there are some people in game that just respond with LoL or ROFLMAO no matter what.

/t Man I just got trained and lost my level

/r LOL (from person in group)

/t These adds are starting to kill our Enchies mana and we are going to get ourselves killed

/r ROFLMAO (from person in group)

These folks are kindhearted and nice and helpful, but they just seem to autorespond no matter what the tell. That annoys me and is my rant. Somewhat in line with Syldra's comments about people's poorly worded responses.

My 2cp.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:32 AM   #15
Sanori

The tells that bug me the most are the ones asking for *something*... money, buffs, PLing... and they can't be bothered to even type out whole words.
"Can u give me some pp 4 gear plz?"
"Hey, will you come to CB to PL me and some friends plz?" (me: "Uh no, sorry. I'm in PoV, and in a group right now.") "omg itd only take a min. Well can u at least come sow us?" Grrrrrr.

Gotta love that /roleplay feature!
Sanori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:32 AM   #16
Azraelwrath

Originally posted by gumbo
Okay,

People seem to be in general support of Syldra's position as am I. Therefore, I will try and hijack this thread ever so slightly because I agree with all those who have posted so far and would like some feedback relative to Syldra's comments.

This doesn't bother me that much, but, have you noticed there are some people in game that just respond with LoL or ROFLMAO no matter what.

/t Man I just got trained and lost my level

/r LOL (from person in group)

/t These adds are starting to kill our Enchies mana and we are going to get ourselves killed

/r ROFLMAO (from person in group)

These folks are kindhearted and nice and helpful, but they just seem to autorespond no matter what the tell. That annoys me and is my rant. Somewhat in line with Syldra's comments about people's poorly worded responses.

My 2cp.
LOL
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:40 AM   #17
Azraelwrath

Like Chiteng said, you should make a macro that you can hit whenever somebody is asking you for a favor while your doing something or don't want it. Something like this should be sufficient:

/r Sorry I can't help you right now because I'm busy right and if you take this personally and guilt trip me your not my friend.

I'm sure this blunt statement will stop the guilt tripping on you etc.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:23 AM   #18
Théodwyn

Anyway... to the people who ask and dont mind being told that I cant help them... ask away

To everyone else... eat me.
Even if we're the polite ones who don't mind.....

Can we eat you anyway?

(sorry, I just *had* to)
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:37 AM   #19
Talloak

What bugs me, beyond the standard port/me/sowme/plme/buffme, is when I just want to buy something in bazaar or park in trader and go to sleep or work, is when some idiot (always happens, like clockwork every tiome I'm in bazaar even remotely near a bank) send me a tell begging for gear, ports, or plat to buy gear (cmon dewd I only need 100p to buy that Acrylia Tunic!).

To which I say here in this rant: fuck off dont beg and go earn your plat through sweat and blood like we did, instead of expecting anyone over lvl 35 (I'm 55) to hand you an easy life through gear and cash to make you disgustingly powerful for your level.

Yes I have lower level alt twinks with overpowered gear for their level, but it is with my main that I EARNED it. I never begged for anything in my life!.

In game, if you beg me, if you're LUCKY all you'll get from me is a /r Bah, or /r sorry I'm broke I just bought spells.

Persist, and you're reported. I HATE whiny beggars.

/rant off lol

cheers
Old 06-23-2003, 10:19 PM   #20
Airamis

Can you come and rez me...it is only 7 zones away
Old 06-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #21
Terad

Default Some 'friends'

I don't play anymore, at least for now, but ...

I have the same problems, with people who claim they're my friends, as Syl. I get guilt tripped for not letting people in my groups, when they're full, I used to play almost all the time.

Constantly getting asked for rezzes while you're about to log, raiding, or in a hard core exp grind, is absolutely horrible.

I'm not saying this for just people who assume their friends will come rez, buff, pl, ect for you whenever you want - Mostly it's the random tells; There were times I'd be asked for for rezzes on my Rogue. Other times, with people who barely knew me, they would ask if I'd log to a twink, alt, my cleric, or a friend's character to buff, kei, rez, boa, virtue, shammy buff, potc, pot9, port, or whatever.

All I can say ... Most of the people who have played this game for a while don't really want to be logging to their alts, friends characters, or their other account to help you when they're busy. Take a moment to fucking think about what you're asking, put yourselves in the persons' shoes, if you have any doubts you would do it in their position, shut up.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, sure I'll ask friends, guildies, or whatever for a rez if I haven't been able to find one and my rez timer's mostly gone in some obscure zone...
Don't expect that they will, saying that they're unreasonable for not wanting to do it won't help you at all.

That's just my 2 cents.

-Terad
Terad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #22
Chiteng
Supporter

Default Re: Some 'friends'

Originally posted by Terad
I don't play anymore, at least for now, but ...

I have the same problems, with people who claim they're my friends, as Syl. I get guilt tripped for not letting people in my groups, when they're full, I used to play almost all the time.

Constantly getting asked for rezzes while you're about to log, raiding, or in a hard core exp grind, is absolutely horrible.

I'm not saying this for just people who assume their friends will come rez, buff, pl, ect for you whenever you want - Mostly it's the random tells; There were times I'd be asked for for rezzes on my Rogue. Other times, with people who barely knew me, they would ask if I'd log to a twink, alt, my cleric, or a friend's character to buff, kei, rez, boa, virtue, shammy buff, potc, pot9, port, or whatever.

All I can say ... Most of the people who have played this game for a while don't really want to be logging to their alts, friends characters, or their other account to help you when they're busy. Take a moment to fucking think about what you're asking, put yourselves in the persons' shoes, if you have any doubts you would do it in their position, shut up.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, sure I'll ask friends, guildies, or whatever for a rez if I haven't been able to find one and my rez timer's mostly gone in some obscure zone...
Don't expect that they will, saying that they're unreasonable for not wanting to do it won't help you at all.

That's just my 2 cents.

-Terad
I think it is hard to play a cleric well. Too much mental energy
and too much blame. Everyone and his uncle telling you you didnt save their asses. Very few perks. If somone screws the pooch you end up dead before you even know it.
At the top, its save me xp please. I really feel for you guys.
But.....there is the darker side.

On a raid, if you dont like the composition of the raid, you simply dont go. You dont like a specific player, hes gone.
When you are the scarce commodity, you have the power.

Some Clerics are famous for such games. Even respected.
But only by fools.

Give me a monk, melee is the game. If I screw up, I can die where I stand, at least I know that I gave them time to run.
So much easier, so fewer worries, and alot less blame.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:23 PM   #23
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
What pisses me off the most is how much lowbies bitch and moan about how much their game experiences suck. I feel like a cranky-ass grandfather talking to his whiney grandkids about "The old days".

The pre-50 game is trivial. Hell, the post-50 game is trivial if you're not part of a raid guild. The little shits just have no idea how easy EQ is now.

If I had an auto-response, it would be;

"I've been playing this game since May 1999, I've had it 50X harder than you, eat the death, find a group, do some reasearch, and STFU!"

/rant off

-Fanny.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:29 PM   #24
Xerion

/agree Fanon

They didn't have to deal with the fucking hell levels and crappy gear plus a whole load of other things.
Xerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:21 PM   #25
Sail

Hey Fanon, didn't we have to walk up hill both ways in the snow to get to East Commons back in the day?
http://www.eqfaces.com/photos2/sail.jpg
Sail is offline   Reply With Quote