Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Sarrin Kanth

Send a message via AIM to Sarrin Kanth
Default New Generation of MMORPGS

I think the Key lies with Brad McQuaid and Sigil Games Online. I kinda feel homeless now without a mmorpg that will totally consume me. SGO is in the process of making a mmog but i have absolutely no idea what he is making. I think it would be cool if we could all send him an email telling him our first experience with EverQuest and tell him why it was so awesome. We need a home. WoW and EQ2 may be good, and SWG may be good a year from now, but i think McQuaid could do a lot better.

How do you guys feel?
Sarrin Kanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
From what Ive seen I think the blizzard guys really honestly care about their player base and their game enough to build a game worth imersing yourself into. I could be wrong though time will tell. In either case I think WoW will be evolutionary and not revolutionary.
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
darue_ivywood

I thought they did rather well, considering. Those god forsaken words of horror The Vision did have some meaning when you look at it now, IMO.

The cliche 'Dont know what ya got till its gone' kinda comes to mind.

http://www.sigilgames.com/000067.php

Is the latest little tidbit on Sigil Games atm. I am waiting to see what they announce for a next production. I think it will be interesting.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:49 PM   #4
Sarrin Kanth

Send a message via AIM to Sarrin Kanth
here part of an old article

Microsoft Signs Publishing Deal With Designers of "EverQuest"

REDMOND, Wash. -- May 16, 2002 --Microsoft Game Studios today announced that it is in the final stages of an exclusive publishing deal with Sigil Games Online Inc. Sigil Games Online was formed by two of the game industry's most renowned designers, Brad McQuaid, co-creator of the revolutionary, massively multiplayer online role-playing game "EverQuest(," and Jeff Butler, former producer of the EverQuest Live and Expansion teams.

"This relationship will further strengthen Microsoft's position in the industry as a premier publisher and incubator of high-quality games and innovative content," said Stuart Moulder, general manager at Microsoft Game Studios. "Brad and Jeff's skill in creating compelling and immersive gaming worlds, combined with our commitment to supporting our development partners, will create a rich opportunity to develop exciting new game environments and experiences."

"This is a match made in heaven," said McQuaid, CEO of Sigil Games Online. "We couldn't have found a better publisher. Microsoft understands our ideas and goals, is committed to creating a superior gaming experience, and has the industry expertise to make it happen."

Specific details regarding content and timing will be announced later.

About Sigil Games Online

Sigil Online Games is led by Brad McQuaid and Jeff Butler, two of the key figures in the production of the runaway hit "EverQuest," the most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Based in San Diego, the company is dedicated to the production of massively multiplayer games that provide the best community gaming experience technologically possible. More information about Sigil Games, including job postings, is available at http://www.sigilgames.com/.
Sarrin Kanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
darue_ivywood

<---awaits the Anti-Microsoft statements coming from the people browsing the forums using Windows.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:54 AM   #6
Finbarr

I'll lead...

Yay word from people that even have a vision! Lead us to the promised land!

But Microsoft? Great distribution pipe, plenty of muscle, etc. but sooner or later the bear is gonna get hungry and any vision employed may get squashed in the name of profits.

And for you XP users out there, imagine having to enter your original CD key(s) every time you change more than 6 peices of equipment on your character.

*** showing up late is the MA for the Itus Bitus Mech raid *****
/g sorry I'm late, hade to fill out the loan app for the game card again =(
/g Hang on one, chaning into resistance gear...
/g 4bq-tr65- aww damn was not holding down ctrl-shift-bill_g_iz_gawd before I started that...will be with ya in a couple mins...

Sad..pathetic attempt at humor, but I crack me up!

Fin
Finbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:06 AM   #7
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

2 years of the vision was enough for me.

The sad fact that no matter what brad and his foolios come up with will not be as successful as original eq becuase the game market has matured. Instead of one big boy (UO) they have quite a few now (EQ WoW EQ2 AC2 Daoc SB AO SWG ) there is a limited number of hardcore players and it would take a revolutionary event for them to leave their mainstays. IMO the new audience Sigil will target will have to be the more casual oriented player who doesnt have 5-8 hours a day to devote to a video game .

That means Sigil will have a marginally succesful game but not a very challenging or gigantically succesful one like Everquest again.
Dont for second think M$ wont put their grubby hands on it either. SoE isnt nearly as bad as Miscrosuck.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:16 AM   #8
Davek
Squawk Box

I'm curious as to what genre the game they have in the plans will be.

I wonder how a "The Matrix MMOG" would fly

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:56 AM   #9
Mendeus
Un-registered User

Send a message via AIM to Mendeus Send a message via Yahoo to Mendeus
Theres a lot of potential for the Matrix MMOG. I only hope they do a good job.
Mendeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:03 AM   #10
Karisma

There actually *is* a Matrix MMORPG in development. I don't remember at the moment who's publishing it.
Karisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:16 AM   #11
Seredin

"Warner Bros., Monolith Productions and EON Entertainment are combining forces to create a new massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) based on The Matrix using Monolith's new LithTech Discovery System."

from http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache...n&ie=UTF-8</a>
Seredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:46 AM   #12
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Medion Palemoon
There never will be another MMOG as successful as EQ. As Chuk said, EQ's only real compeition at the time was UO. Not only that, but EQ was 3D, and required 3D acceleration. UO was not 3D, so EQ technically had no competition. As for requiring a 3D Card, at the time, few games were like that.
Medion Palemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:53 AM   #13
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally posted by darue_ivywood
<---awaits the Anti-Microsoft statements coming from the people browsing the forums using Windows.

Just those little issues of 'true' multi-tasking, and 'true' multi-threading.

Microsoft has set the entire computing industry back 20 years.

No matter how fast they make the machines, Micro-soft kernels
will find a way to slow them down.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:57 AM   #14
Chiteng
Supporter

Default Re: New Generation of MMORPGS

Originally posted by Sarrin Kanth
I think the Key lies with Brad McQuaid and Sigil Games Online. I kinda feel homeless now without a mmorpg that will totally consume me. SGO is in the process of making a mmog but i have absolutely no idea what he is making. I think it would be cool if we could all send him an email telling him our first experience with EverQuest and tell him why it was so awesome. We need a home. WoW and EQ2 may be good, and SWG may be good a year from now, but i think McQuaid could do a lot better.

How do you guys feel?
I am certainly NOT impressed with either Butler or McQuaid.
Their handling of REAL issues ingame showed me that neither
of them is inspired or enlightened. Butler's handling of the
guides was excrable. His assumption that all players cheat was offensive. I will avoid him if I can.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Old 06-19-2003, 11:10 AM   #15
Tuan00Dorf

Microsoft has set the entire computing industry back 20 years.
Lol, ok Chiteng, whatever you say........
Old 06-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #16
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally posted by Tuan00Dorf
Lol, ok Chiteng, whatever you say........
You laugh, but where is the multi-tasking?
Where is the multi-threading?
How odd that UNIX has had it for 20 fooking years.
But Microsoft is still refusing to bite the bullet.

Why is it that my old OKIDATA 82 can print faster that the latest
color HP?

Why is it that the XP kernel is almost 2 fooking megs?

Why is it that there is no easy way to un-install
Windows messenger so I can stop being spammed w popups WITHOUT paying for some POS program?

I use Microsoft ONLY because the games I want to play
only run in windows. I spit on Microsoft.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 06-19-2003, 09:01 PM   #17
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

Windows messenger so I can stop being spammed w popups WITHOUT paying for some POS program?
start>run>services.msc

Set Messaging to "disabled."
Old 06-19-2003, 09:01 PM   #18
Slayne

Send a message via AIM to Slayne
I just turned the windows messanger off. Didnt have to uninstall or install anything.

Solved the popups just fine.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:04 PM   #19
Tuan00Dorf

For the love of god what are you talking about?

Why is it that my old OKIDATA 82 can print faster that the latest
color HP?
Ok I'm not even going to pretend I know what an OKIDATA 82 printer is. I fail to see what you claim as having a printer that can print faster than any of the newest HP printers (uh hu) has to do with Microsoft though.

Edit: I can't read. Same conclusion: Gee, that really set us behind 20 years.

Why is it that the XP kernel is almost 2 fooking megs?
As if that has any relevance whatsoever.

You laugh, but where is the multi-tasking?
Where is the multi-threading?
How odd that UNIX has had it for 20 fooking years.
But Microsoft is still refusing to bite the bullet.
Windows XP has mult-threading, as did Windows 2000. Every version of windows has had multi-tasking capabilities to some degree. Not that your comparison makes much sense to begin with.

Edit: Also, you do realize that programs must be *specifically written* to support multi-threading? That is hardly even a standard as of now and has nothing to do with the operating systems.

Last edited by Tuan00Dorf; 06-19-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Tuan00Dorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:10 PM   #20
Ulujain

The Messaging service is easy to disable. It isn't Windows Messenger; they're two separate things.

Microsoft haven't set computing back 20 years. What they have done is put computing well within the reach and the expertise of the average joe. The average joe doesn't give a shit what is under the hood when it comes to running his stuff. He double-clicks on something and it just happens.

It could be argued that Microsoft have made the transition in computing from the land of the arcane to the everyday.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:17 PM   #21
darue_ivywood

yea really, give the average joe root password on a *nix system, a brief explanation of vi editor, and come back an hour later to reinstall it.

Microsoft opened the PC market to alot of people who dont have a clue, as well as job opportunities and future technologies otherwise unavailable.

If anyone should be slammed, it should be your CPU manufacturers for using 8086 architecture in your new breeds of processors.

--edit--
MicroSoft sucks in other ways (business practices, security holes, etc etc..) but no where near setting the computer industry back 20 years. As far as size goes, remember when a 1Meg HDD was the shit? Can almost equate Moore's Law to memory capacity as well.

Last edited by darue_ivywood; 06-19-2003 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:21 PM   #22
Ulujain

Originally posted by Tuan00Dorf
For the love of god what are you talking about?

Ok I'm not even going to pretend I know what an OKIDATA 82 printer is. I fail to see what you claim as having a printer that can print faster than any of the newest HP printers (uh hu) has to do with Microsoft though.

Popups from windows messenger being installed and not logged onto their service, what planet do you live on? Pay for it, huh? If you don't want it started, then click that wonderful little checkbox so it doesn't start up when you start your computer. Gee, that really set us behind 20 years.

As if that has any relevance whatsoever.

Windows XP has mult-threading, as did Windows 2000. Every version of windows has had multi-tasking capabilities to some degree. Not that your comparison makes much sense to begin with.
And this individual asks Chiteng what is he talking about...Tuan, if you knew the first thing about printers, you'd know that a lot of the issues with modern day printing is the spooler and driver model of Windows. Chiteng is right; an old Okidata printer will probably churn out stuff better simply cos it doesn't have to fuck with weirdly-written drivers, especially the discombombulated ones HP come out with.

Common denominator: Microsoft.

Chiteng is talking about the Messaging service, not Windows Messenger. Disabling any service by "clicking the wonderful little checkbox" is a recipe for disaster. Go on, college boy know-all, fire up msconfig and disable the Remote Procedure Call service. Try and reboot your computer...

There is a difference between multi-tasking and multi-threading. About the only thing that has ever ran on a separate thread under most versions of Windows is the mouse driver. True story.

The next time you want to be a superior little prick, at least make an attempt to know whereof you speak.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #23
Tuan00Dorf

Ok I misread the windows messaging as windows messenger, my mistake. Still, it's the same solution. Disable the service, whoopie.

"There is a difference between multi-tasking and multi-threading."

Gee really? That's what my post says. And there are many programs that run with multi-threading, the key is they have to be written for it, which you will see in my edited post before this one.

The point is, a blanket statment of "Micorsoft has held us back 20 years" holds no ground. What, because they have not been a perfect solution? Nothing is ever perfect. So yeah, maybe if he was expecting 100% perfect advancement in technology with no errors, then you could say anything has held us back 20 years.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:58 PM   #24
Jubei

Jeez Tuan... Where do you come off trying to be a superior little prick.
Jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:53 PM   #25
Pankeleonn

Send a message via AIM to Pankeleonn
I always felt what was done best in the EverQuest world was the way in which an interactive community was built. In order to survive and prosper, one must work with others toward common goals. Whether it was binding, porting, grouping, and other class dependences, you needed to seek out individuals for your own ends. Is this spirit of cooperative integration going to be nurtured in your latest project?

Absolutely. Interdependence is key to massively multiplayer games and a fundamental part of community building, as you mention. All that said, our philosophy has evolved and hopefully refined since we designed EQ. We have quite a few new ways to explore building a virtual society, and we’ve also changed our position on binding – we’ve some new ideas there that should make it less frustrating.
That sold me right there. I didn't read any farther.