Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
Sarrin Kanth

Send a message via AIM to Sarrin Kanth
Default Chukzombi Wins

Those bastards at SOE, especially John Smedley really messed up this time. I go out of my way to help test bugs and defend the game then they just shoot the game out like giving a c-section to a 6 month pregnant lady. Thats bullshit. That greedy bastard knows he can get cash from the SW legacy and charge 15 dollars a month for a crappy game. People kept saying its beta, there is plenty of time for updates.... well there are only 9 days left. They dont wanna lift the NDA.... i wonder why? Maybe cause if the NDA was lifted people would cancel there orders and look into WoW and EQ2.

I was so pissed that i made a post on the beta boards and i got banned.... whoop de fucking do. There are only 9 days left of beta till release and im going to italy for 15 days this friday.

So chuk, you win. Im sorry, you were right. /me eats crow.
Sarrin Kanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:40 PM   #2
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

I posted some time back i did not want SWG to fail, merely that what they are doing is turning the game into a piece of crap . SWG should have either never been made or done correctly with the proper attention to space ships, vehicles, jawas, storm troopers, sand people, light travel , interplanetary battles and ship to ship combat. i wanted Star wars, not everstarwars. not mining complany wars and not singing wookies in a cantina wars.

I also posted a long while ago i was planning on buying SWG someday if they ever put the Star wars i remember into it.

Last edited by chukzombi; 06-17-2003 at 12:45 PM.
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #3
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
I used to manage QA playtester teams for Sony titles back in the early 90's. The game didn't go out until we (QA, developers, producers, etc...) sat around and weighed the remaining issues. The only time we pushed real hard for releasing a game "on time" was around Christmas. Yet, things are different with these online games. You can send a "master" off to the CD manufacturers (SDM in this case) before some major bugs are fixed because the fixes will be complete before the product ships...at least we hope.

It could be that a bunch of these bugs reported were fixed, but you'll never see the result until you get the actual game. I think Sony would have a real QA staff doing bug fix verification...and that it isn't for us to verify in most cases. Is there a real solid feedback procedure in place for verifications for beta testers (playtesters)?

What I'm saying is I guess...the game may be more ready than you think.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #4
cnjmorris

I knew they were full of crap when they charged $15 to order the beta cd (with shipping).

I don't like sci-fi. I like fantasy. I, however, want to remind you of something.

Lets say they pushed the game back 6 months to iron out the bugs. Odds are in 6 months the game would be closer to what you expected.

Now, it seems they are releasing it this month. So what. All you have to do is wait 6 months. You aren't forced to play this month. Wait 6 months, enjoy the games you have, then sign up in 6 months.

They are money minded scum, most companies are. So don't pay them to beta test, wait 6 months.

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

I actually think they have made leaps and bounds of progress with this game. Stunning graphics, good game play and tons of things to do to customize and develop your character.

In fact, if I had one complaint, the scope of the game is too broad. It's overwhelming the number of things you can do.

Arnwolf
Arnwolf Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
Sarrin Kanth

yeah but they make one step forward and two steps backward. They are missing vital ingrediants to weapons that make a proffesion what it really is. They have yet to balance all the proffesions and when i walk around i still see tons of bugs.

They screwed up two proffesions i can see. Looks like they didnt have time so they lobbed off huge chunks of prerequisites and in doing so gave players the option of having unbalanced characters.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:38 PM   #7
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

Balance is an illusion that people should stop clinging too. There is no such thing as balance. Give each class something unique that makes the class desired, yes. But do not strive for the all elusive balance. Because it does not exist...
Arnwolf Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:56 PM   #8
Kelin

what about me! /sniff =p Sorry Kad, I know you were looking forward to SWG, despite me giving you crap about it many a times. There are plenty of good MMORPG's coming out, fantasy style, which is more to my taste. Horizons looks like a quality strictly PvE MMORPG to be released this fall, EQ2 and WoW are sometime in the next year as well. Not all is lost, but WoW is my frontrunner, I fear EQ2 will be rushed as well. They say Winter 2k3, yet beta hasn't even started yet..rubbish.

EDIT
I should add most licensed games don't come out too well. I fear Middle Earth Online from Vivendi will be ten times as worse as SWG

Last edited by Kelin; 06-17-2003 at 06:58 PM.
Kelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
Sarrin Kanth

What about FFXI? Its been out in Japan and the NA version beta is coming soon. Infact, i think people have already been invited to it. Anyone beta testing it or playing it right now got any information to share. Of course only if you can read the language of the game and give me your fair opinion. Hoppkins, i know you played FFXI, but im not sure if you speak Japanese.

Well, my gameplan is to play SWG for 6 months. And if it still sucks after that, then it will be just in time to beta test other games.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:45 PM   #10
hoppkins

Send a message via AIM to hoppkins
I speak enough Japanese to communicate with the other japanese players who cant speak English. The problem was I couldnt read Kanji well enough to understand the quests.

Sure we had spoilers they basically said "Come here and pick up this and hand to X NPC ion this town" but in the end it all became so pointless.

FFXI has some stuff which is just mind blowing. I can tell you the people making SWG have looked at EQ and FFXI (and AO) and taken most of the best ideas out of all of them. I've been astounded how much the feel of Starwars is present in places, really I have.

With regards to the Starships give them time, goodness do you really think you will be able to make a new char log in and buy and fly a ship anyway?

So far even in it's present state I would play it, it's fun period. Looks great and when some of the more prevelant bugs have been ironed out it will play great. Most of the people that complain about the game (Not reference to anyone posted here) are fanboys who wanted to start as a jedi have a lightsabre and goto the deathstar and choke some people...

Give it a chance, it "will" be good.
hoppkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:56 PM   #11
Daeth

Arnwolf said:

Balance is an illusion that people should stop clinging too. There is no such thing as balance. Give each class something unique that makes the class desired, yes. But do not strive for the all elusive balance. Because it does not exist...

ABSOLUTELY agree

P.S. Hey Kelin, been meaning to say Hi for a bit now, sorry took so long
Daeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:22 AM   #12
Kelin

Lucas Arts might have something to do with SoE rushing it, it is a joint effort afterall. While SoE doesn't have the best track record with bug free/complete list of promised things in the games, they know how to make a MMORPG.

Seems SoE is entering the RTS market too(which is only causing them to catch more heat from the average gamer), now that Blizzard is trying to come into the MMO world.

-Kelin

P.S. Whats up Daeth? hope all is well
Kelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:05 AM   #13
Brannod

Mmmmmm FFXI ... I really hope that one is good. Too late to get in on some of that hot beta action? The American one, that is. Otherwise I'll be typing English in all caps trying to get Japanese players to understand me.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:10 AM   #14
Khael

http://www5.playnet.com/bv/wwiiolhq/...ent_id=2836434

Came across that link browsing earlier and while I wasn't planning to buy SWG anyway, that would have changed my mind had I been looking to buy it.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:54 AM   #15
Azraelwrath

Game Informer gave them 9.5/10 and the game isn't even out yet.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:11 AM   #16
Codsan
The Codfather

That thread Khael posted is dead on.
Codsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:16 AM   #17
Chiteng
Supporter

Why exactly is Chuk correct again? Its kinda vauge?

IF SWG is gonna suck, why again?

Because if I agree w you, I will avoid buying it =)

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:30 AM   #18
hoppkins

World War 2 Online....lol

You should see the state of some of those guys on their forum pics.../shudder

Well, some people will listen to anything I guess. At one point in that thread the rant was about how combat has no skill just click the button and go.

Well no s**t what did they expect? Counter Strike?

This post is not entirley objective enough to be taken 100% serious, some of the points made are good. But on the whole that is just the rantings of a disgruntled fan who didnt get what he expected. Lots from that post has changed belive me, no perfect....but better.

At the moment im not planning on even playing this game really so people can't just say im a fanboy who will say its great and throw my cash at lucas.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:50 AM   #19
Codsan
The Codfather

That thread was just a repost from the SWG beta forums.

Speaking of the SWG forums, you can sit there and hit F5 and watch the posts get deleted, it's hillarious.
Codsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #20
Jubei

Default SWG...

To the develops of SWG for making such a POS...

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
Jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:43 PM   #21
Novalis

NDA will be down later today or tomorrow..so we'll be able to talk details later..but i gotta agree with hoppkins when it comes to being a little leary of the posts on that link. ill bet ya a dollar that guy got banned for being an ass on the forums.
the beta has had an influx of random people in the last few weeks..it seems like an open beta. the forums arent quite as bad as the public SWG forums, but only because they are heavily monitered...
it reminds me of the VN daoc boards..filled to the brim with complete idiots and kids..its fustrating to even read..these people ARE that stupid.
not to say the game is perfect by and means..but i think its pretty good. ill be buying it.
but then im pretty sick of the EQ treadmill thing...so /shrug.

-Novalis
Novalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:41 AM   #22
Kerryn

I have to disagree with a lot of that.

Galaxies has some of the most immersive gameplay in any game I've seen to date. The graphics do it to be honest. There is something about walking through a city whilst a mouse droid zips between your legs whilst trying to avoid a CLL Binary Load lifter.

The music is lacking in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic but it's not played often enough. But the terrain has very interesting features that no other MMORPG has. To say it's lazy to let a random terrain generator go to work is completely wrong. What you have to remember is that the game is absoloutley huge.

Running across Naboo takes longer then it ever took to cross from Erudin to Felwithe ever did and thats just one out of 10 planets. Looking down from Deejas peak ( probably about 2000 meters above sea level ) onto a flat plain where I could pretty much see my encampment over 2 clicks away is amazing. It doesn't change every time you move around as people seem to think, it was generated before beta started not every time you walk around.

The quests whilst lakcing in reward at the moment ( a simple balance issue ) are nicely done and mission terminals cater to someone who wants to log on for 40 minutes and have something to do whilst NPC missions take much longer.

I think a lot of people are complaining right now because the last patch was heavy handed making things that were previously quite easy far too hard and the downtime is long because of it. Still it's a balance issue they could tweak after about a week of complaints in live play.

Crafting is still lacking in my opinion. They need to reduce the amount of items each player can make because right now they are independant of each other and the economy is struggling because of it.

All in all I think this game will be a lot of fun and I will play it. However I know the first 3 months will still be fraught with bugs and balancing. For the average guy playing EQ I'd say if you were happy with EQ, then stay there. There's no rush and you can join the SWG thing in 3 months time.

As I say in 3 months time I think we'll be seeing shelf prices plummeting and free trials running rampant in the future to bring players back. But I do think we will be on quite empty servers having a shedload of fun.

Galaxies is not for the hardcore player yet. It can be in time but right now you'll breeze through the terminal missions and the end game is shceduled to be implemented after about 4 months or so.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 01:20 AM   #23
Novalis

i pretty much agree with kerryn's summary, main part being the mass outcry people are hearing about follow the latest patch where things got a little difficult. but they're heading in the right direction with that..
as it was, the game was too easy, money didnt mean much because it was way easy to get, and people were mastering skill tree's much too fast.
so alot of things got harder and alot of folks got annoyed..etc.

i'm taking a few screenshots and will load them to a geoshities site if anyone wants to see a tour when NDA is lifted :P

-Novalis
Novalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:42 AM   #24
hoppkins

Before my char was wiped I was sitting (well standing...chairs dont work yet) in the Cantina on Mos Eisley. Music playing, some crazy musician players had formed a band and were going for it. Some crazy dancers strutting away and people were genrally just sitting around enjoying themselves talking.

When the game goes live and things have settled down that place will be full of players, like a real bar, with the real cantina music. Rebels and Imperials doing PVP will be able to have bar fights, shooting over the bar.

The missions as Kerryn said are unbalanced, they will change. The economy will stabilise after a couple of months as players find their feet. I tried running across Tantooine, i got half way after 15 mins only to be amushed by banthas and ironically saved by Tuscan Raiders....who then proceeded to kill me ><

Sound effects ARE Starwars, it LOOKS like Starwars, people are expecting too much....people are expectnig to become X-Wing fighters on the day of release and go fook up the death star. I think tho it's cool that you can be one of the people you see in the background of starwars movies. A joe shmoe on Mos Eisley or Naboo just making a name for himself....an undercover imperial agent....a bounty hunter like Bobba Fett.

Give it time, people are expecting TOO MUCH. Starwars is a hard name to live upto and people are simply not giving it a chance. My advise to those who are so critical is leave it for some months and come back when the waves are over and the bugs starting to be ironed out. I'll still be there trying to make the game better by enduring the bugs and diffculties.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:22 AM   #25
Seredin

People are expecting too much by asking for a game where there's some semblance of balance and most of the major game-threatening bugs (eg. players being permadead, random stat loss, missions that don't pay upon completion, chat server stop working for no reason, etc...) have been squashed before release?

In 3 months, I don't doubt the game will be much better off than it is now -- it might even be good. But to release it right now as it stands is really just taking advantage of the players.
Seredin is offline   Reply With Quote