Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Default Teacher's strike

OK, I always thought the most important thing in education was educating the kids. Apparently, though, some think it's about protecting teachers. In Chicago, some 350,000 kids are missing school, because they well-to-do think they aren't doing well enough. Yeah, normally you wouldn't put teachers in the well-to-do category, but the average salary for a Chicago teacher is $76,000. Now, the salary of the average Chicagoan is $45,000. Rahm Emanuel offered them a 16% pay increase over the next 4 years (which brings the average salary to around $88,000), even though that school district is facing a $667 million deficit. And the kids are nothing special. According to one source, Chicago fourth graders performed 9 points worse than the big city average, and 16 points below the national average on the math section of the NAEP.

If I was a teacher in Chicago, I'd be ashamed right now.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Beal

Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
OK, I always thought the most important thing in education was educating the kids. Apparently, though, some think it's about protecting teachers. In Chicago, some 350,000 kids are missing school, because they well-to-do think they aren't doing well enough. Yeah, normally you wouldn't put teachers in the well-to-do category, but the average salary for a Chicago teacher is $76,000. Now, the salary of the average Chicagoan is $45,000. Rahm Emanuel offered them a 16% pay increase over the next 4 years (which brings the average salary to around $88,000), even though that school district is facing a $667 million deficit. And the kids are nothing special. According to one source, Chicago fourth graders performed 9 points worse than the big city average, and 16 points below the national average on the math section of the NAEP.

If I was a teacher in Chicago, I'd be ashamed right now.
I think the notion that nationwide, teachers are poorly paid, is an invention of the unions. Teachers generally make a reasonable salary on top of outrageously attractive benefits. They retire years before the average private sector worker, with far better defined benefit pension plans that are funded to a much greater degree by their employer (the government) than in the private sector.

Last edited by Beal; 09-11-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Michael Cumberlan

Actually, teachers are a multi-tiered group ... you have your urban/suburban union groups which are VERY well compensated according to what I understand (I know a couple as well), you have your rural union/non-union groups which are for the most part somewhat underpaid depending on the prosperity of the communities they live in and you have the parochial group which are for the most part very underpaid regardless of where they work due to other job aspects. I leave out the truly private schools, because I don't know anything about them ...

The unions like Chicago get the high visibility (and drive the distaste most non-teachers have when this comes up,) but one of my Chicago friends has worked in a catholic school for about 20 years, and is nowhere close to a 40k salary, even though she is a science teacher (supposedly in high demand.) I have a brother who has almost 30 years in, and he makes around 50K including some money for after school coaching, BUT he works in a rural area of Michigan where the past year brought both a small salary CUT, and also they now have to pay 50 percent of their medical.

My understanding as to what the biggest issues are in Chicago are teacher evaluations ... gee ... there is a push for more responsibility to be placed on the teachers themselves for the performance of the kids, but their response is - it is everyone else's fault, they are ppor, they come from broken homes, their parents are not involved or are drunk or drug addicts or the home environment is not conducive to learning, etc. You get the picture. I sympathize with them that it IS a tough job ... but they CHOSE this profession, and if they ARE NOT willing to take responsibility for the performance of their classes then why should we pay them to be teachers ... lets just get nannies ... they are a lot cheaper ...
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Drysdale
RSS Feed

As Boortz puts it:
http://www.boortz.com/weblogs/nealz-...-union-strike/
here’s a sea of red in Chicago, and this is one sea of red that doesn’t look so good Obama! The teachers union is on strike, throwing a hissy fit over performance-based evaluations and a 16% pay increase. In the words of Princess Pelosi, are you serious? Yup. Dead serious. These teachers unions are as serious as cancer, because they’ve been enabled for years by politicians like Barack Obama to think that they are entitled to more of your wallet. Are they entitled to more of your wallet because they have been successful? Hell no! What is their role supposed to be? Well gee, they are teachers so I suppose their purpose is to educate children. How’s that working out for the children?Yet, what do they want for this astounding “success”? They want a 30% pay increase and an end to the pesky idea of earning based on their performance (what a concept?!). A 30% pay increase … these people must surely be underpaid to demand such an increase in such a lousy economy and considering their school district is facing a $700 million deficit! Quite the opposite.
The average teacher in Chicago Public Schools—a district facing a $700 million deficit—makes $71,000 per year before benefits are included. If the district meets union demands and rewards teachers with the requested salary increase, education employees will receive compensation north of $92,000 per year.
According to the Illinois Policy Institute, the average annual income of a family in Chicago is $47,000 per year. If implemented, the 30 percent raise will mean that in nine months, a single teacher in the Chicago Public School system will take home nearly double what the average family in the city earns in a year
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Foust Farseer

I don't really respect teachers that strike. Something about leveraging the education of children.

But.

That figure of $71k is the average of all those who are employed by the school districts - not just the teachers and their assistants. Figure that an administrator will bring in at least $150k annually.

How many administrators per district? How many districts? How many others in non-teaching positions are employed by those districts and are making more than 50-60k?

The actual problem is that the money is already there, it's just being spent as inefficiently as any other government budget. But we'll all be dead and dust before a politician comes out and admits that.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Foust Farseer View Post
I don't really respect teachers that strike. Something about leveraging the education of children.

But.

That figure of $71k is the average of all those who are employed by the school districts - not just the teachers and their assistants. Figure that an administrator will bring in at least $150k annually.

How many administrators per district? How many districts? How many others in non-teaching positions are employed by those districts and are making more than 50-60k?

The actual problem is that the money is already there, it's just being spent as inefficiently as any other government budget. But we'll all be dead and dust before a politician comes out and admits that.
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like high admin salaries are inflating the average.
Pinkheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Well, it might look that way, if it were true, but Chicago Public Schools says otherwise.
A Chicago Public Schools spokesperson said average pay for teachers, without benefits, is $76,000.
Besides, if they are anything like us, they have more secretaries, bus drivers and janitors than they have administrators.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
I would never want to teach again. You are evaluated on a few spot checks during the year to make sure you are teaching to the standard, and a test at the end of the year that most students don't give an effort on because it doesn't count for or against them. Even my pre-calc class admitted to not giving much of an effort. On top of that, the expectations by the administrators are ridiculous. I ended up hating teenagers by the end of my four years. It was time to move on. Little fuckers!
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Lith Ahntalon

Send a message via AIM to Lith Ahntalon Send a message via Yahoo to Lith Ahntalon
This is why I am glad I live in a right to work state. It is also a good example of the the hubris of the current state of union leadership and membership in this nation. There is no money to pay them and they want more money, really?

Another example is GM. The UAW leadership is essentially the board of directors now and the business is so bloated that GM cannot support itself. It must have taxpayer money to support it or it will fall apart. You know what that makes us the taxpayer? We are shareholders who will never get a say in the business and never see a dividend.

Unions were a good thing at one time but, they have evolved into an entirly different beast and lost their relevance, particularly public sector unions.