Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Small Talk

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
Théodwyn

Default LotR and the Oscars

So question for you movie fans.....

Were you at all surprised or dismayed that of all the Oscar nominations for RotK, none of the nominations are for acting?

If you were either of both, what did you expect or want to see in the nominations?
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Ulujain

Not surprised at all. I thought the Academy had contempt for SF/fantasy films anyway? You know, like they're not real dramas or the acting is bad, etc.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
ShardmoonVer.1

I think its fitting they didnt single out any of the cast for acting. Even in the original books it was more about the story than the charecters.

I would like to see a new category added to the Oscars, open to any actor or actress. Best Charecter. Yoda from SW Episode 2, Gollum from TT, and even Gandelf from the entire LOTR series would fit nicely in this category.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
Théodwyn

The stand-out performances to me were Bernard Hill (Théoden) and Sean Astin (Sam). I was actually rather surprised that they didn't get any nominations in any of the awards.

I also rather enjoyed Miranda Otto's (Éowyn) performance, although her part was rather small. If they'd have included the Houses of Healing and the full funeral of Théoden and the troth-plighting, then maybe it would merit and award..... I think she'd have done well with those scenes.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Misty
Do Not Disturb

LoTR (RotK) missed little touches like in the encounter between Gandalf and the Witch King at the City Gate. The symbolic passing of danger signalled by a cockcrow and sunlight bursting thru a gap in the evil darkness. All of this symbolism is missing from the film. That's when the Rohirrim arrived at the field of battle forcing the Witch King to attend to them first. The witch King abandons his assault on the City Gates and a showdown with Gandalf. Very tense moment.

In the book, nobody could gauge the time of day because the sun has been blocked out. It had been so for several days. A cockcrow signals Dawn (symbolising a new day) and this new day ushered in a changing of tide in the War of the Ring. Very poetic. Instead we got several battles crammed into one longish one. And a charge at Dawn (very Custer-like). Too much focus on getting Gandalf in every scene made for trivial encounters. Plotting scenes for maximum narrative content, in such a huge project, I suppose, is going to rush over some finishing touches.

Perhaps he could have been given eldritch sight (add special effect and slowmo) such that this time the audience get to see Theoden slowly arrive over the rise with the Dawn light breaking and cockadoodle doo: camera showing us through Gandalf's eyes. Then the camera point of view could change to the battle scenes of the Rohirrim versus all the baddies and vis a viz action photography leave all that battle as it is. At least you'd get the option to cut between camera views of Rohirrim arriving, blowing their horn, and add last finishing touches of crowd extras and support cast seeing what Gandalf sees, their spirits lifting, the returning sunlight and the huge fight scene etc. I wish this part of the movie had been done a little more like the book in that tiny respect.

If this film project had been a smaller undertaking such a omission would have gone harder against the director/producer in the awards.

Last edited by Misty; 02-29-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:50 AM   #6
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
LoTR swept, which I'm sure you know if you're reading this now.

I am 100% confident they deserved every award they got, and then some. Seeing a best actor nomination for Sean Astin or Ian McKellan would have been nice, but you can't win them all. (or can you? )

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:25 AM   #7
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Holy cow, 11...
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:29 AM   #8
Théodwyn

Obviously I was pleased by the results.

Still, I think some acting nods would have been good.

And yeah, I wanted Bill Murray to win for "Lost In Translation".
Old 03-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

I would like to see a new category added to the Oscars, open to any actor or actress. Best Charecter. Yoda from SW Episode 2, Gollum from TT, and even Gandelf from the entire LOTR series would fit nicely in this category.
Sorry but this idea sounds stupid.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
ShardmoonVer.1

Your opinion is duly noted and filed under the no category. So at the moment we have a tie.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #11
Sandain

Peter Jackson makes me proud to be a New Zealander

Egat - "I have to agree with Hormadrune"
Sandain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:39 PM   #12
Azraelwrath

No offense, but Peter Jackson looks like a Hobo.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #13
Laoke

And? The fact that he dresses the way he pleases is relevant because...? The fact that he's doing exactly what <b>he</b>wants with is life, and he's not worrying about the little things like dress sense is rather refreshing, don't you thnk? And, don't forget - he's married with 2 kids. What the hell does he have left to prove?

Sure, he's a squat, ugly little man. Big fucking deal, I'm still proud he's a fellow NZer. Hell of a nice guy as well.

Laoke
Laoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:35 AM   #14
Festivus

Peter Jackson is the uber geek, and I respect him for that. His attire was entirely befitting of the event and his lifestyle. I wouldn't be surprised if he would rather head off to an all night Dungeons and Dragons game in his hotel room than attend the stuffy after parties.

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #15
Théodwyn

Actually, he went to the party hosted by theonering.net afterward. In fact, they all went.

http://www.iansmith.co.uk/lotr/weblogs/Feb29th2004.htm

http://www.theonering.net/oscarparty/
Old 03-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #16
Maltoria

And yeah, I wanted Bill Murray to win for "Lost In Translation".
Personally...I wanted Johnny Depp to win for playing Captain Jack Sparrow.

Pirates was an incredible movie, and he did an incredible job with the role.

"Como esta el yaaaaaaaay!" - Special Ed, Crankyankers
Maltoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:54 AM   #17
Lanson & Binuru

Send a message via AIM to Lanson & Binuru Send a message via Yahoo to Lanson & Binuru
Strongly agree, Malt..... Johnny played role to the hilt (no pun intended!)

I'm sure that he'll get one eventually, even though his idea of normal is far different than the Academy's, hehe. Just a great actor. Captain Jack Sparrow, the detective in "From Hell," superb :-)
Lanson & Binuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:15 PM   #18
Ulujain

Don't overreract now, will you Laoke?
Old 03-03-2004, 05:30 AM   #19
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

I would like to see a new category added to the Oscars, open to any actor or actress. Best Charecter.
I don't see it happening. I mean, from movies adapted from books, the character was already there. It is the job of the actor to portray that character, which would fall under the acting category. Characters like Yoda and Gollum would fall under special effects, except for the voices and I couldn't know how to categorize those.

I totally forgot about the oscars Sunday, so I missed them all. I have to say I am very pleased with how well Return of the King did.
And? The fact that he dresses the way he pleases is relevant because...? The fact that he's doing exactly what <b>he</b>wants with is life, and he's not worrying about the little things like dress sense is rather refreshing, don't you thnk? And, don't forget - he's married with 2 kids. What the hell does he have left to prove?
And none of this negates the fact that he looks like a hobo

/flee

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote