Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
ShardmoonVer.1

Default The Will of the People

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102589818

The Justice Department will drop all charges against former Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska, NPR has learned.

A jury convicted Stevens last fall of seven counts of lying on his Senate disclosure form in order to conceal $250,000 in gifts from an oil industry executive and other friends. Stevens was the longest-serving Republican in the Senate, however, he lost his bid for an eighth full term in office just days after he was convicted. Since then, charges of prosecutorial misconduct have delayed his sentencing and prompted defense motions for a new trial.

According to Justice Department officials, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has decided to drop the case against Stevens rather than continue to defend the conviction in the face of persistent problems stemming from the actions of prosecutors.

The judge in the Stevens case has repeatedly delayed sentencing and criticized trial prosecutors for what he's called prosecutorial misconduct. At one point, prosecutors were held in contempt. Things got so bad that the Justice Department finally replaced the trial team, including top-ranking officials in the office of public integrity. That's the department's section charged with prosecuting public corruption cases.

With more ugly hearings expected, Holder is said to have decided late Tuesday to pull the plug. Stevens' lawyers are expected to be informed Wednesday morning that the department will dismiss the indictment against the former senator.

Holder's decision is said to be based on Stevens' age he's 85 and because Stevens is no longer in the Senate. Perhaps most importantly, Justice Department officials say Holder wants to send a message to prosecutors throughout the department that actions he regards as misconduct will not be tolerated.

Holder began his career in the department's public integrity section; and, according to sources, he was horrified by the failure of prosecutors to turn over all relevant materials to the defense.

The attorney general also knows the trial judge, Emmett Sullivan, well. The two men served together as judges of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia before each was promoted to higher office.

Holder respects Sullivan and reportedly has watched with growing alarm as Sullivan repeatedly has scolded prosecutors for failing to follow his judicial orders to fully inform defense lawyers about everything from potentially favorable evidence to the travel plans of witnesses. During the trial, prosecutorial missteps led to the judge instructing the jury to disregard some evidence.

Sentencing has been repeatedly delayed. By last month, it was playing a back seat to charges of prosecutorial misconduct as a whistle-blowing FBI agent made complaints about improper conduct by a fellow agent and prosecutors. With a hearing scheduled in two weeks to explore those charges, Holder decided to review the case himself.

Justice Department officials say they will withdraw their opposition to the defense motion for a new trial and will dismiss the indictment in effect voiding the Stevens conviction.

____________________________________________________________ ___
Too bad this was what caused Alaskans to vote out their senior senator and lose all that leverage in the senate. I certainly hope a lot of folks lose their jobs over this at a minimum and criminal charges are filed against the prosecutors.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Too bad. Ted needs jail time. Much like many other politicians on both sides of the aisle.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
SupportTank

I want gowachin style laws !

the winner gets ripped to shreds and the loser walks free! Note lawyers included!

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
ShardmoonVer.1

Ted needs the same thing every one needs. Fair treatment. Especially by people we pay to enforce our laws. These guys used their position to remove a sitting senator. They abused their office.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1 View Post
Ted needs the same thing every one needs. Fair treatment. Especially by people we pay to enforce our laws. These guys used their position to remove a sitting senator. They abused their office.
Well, we all know the justice system makes no mistakes. Maybe they should have caught him sleeping in his car, drunk.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
ShardmoonVer.1

If this was the third time he had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Otherwise your example makes as much sense as a Chiteng post without the internal logic.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
Well, we all know the justice system makes no mistakes. Maybe they should have caught him sleeping in his car, drunk.
Alright, you little weasel...

actually, that was pretty funny.
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

If this was the third time he had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Otherwise your example makes as much sense as a Chiteng post without the internal logic.
Well, he's got 7 counts against him. I guess he just stuck his hand in once and took 7 cookies? And actually, I didn't see where you can't get arrested for DUI while sleeping in your car unless you've already had 2 DUIs on record, so what's with the third time rule all of the sudden?

PS - learn to take a joke.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Wildane; 04-01-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Too bad. Ted needs jail time. Much like many other politicians on both sides of the aisle.
Holy shit, prosecutor misconduct is cited as a prime example by the OBAMA attorney general, a clear indicator of a miscarriage of justice, and your reaction is "put the guy in jail anyway"?

Where's the indignant cry about "justice" now?

/smack
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Pafuna View Post
Holy shit, prosecutor misconduct is cited as a prime example by the OBAMA attorney general, a clear indicator of a miscarriage of justice, and your reaction is "put the guy in jail anyway"?

Where's the indignant cry about "justice" now?

/smack
A screw up by the prosecutor get him off. I get that. Doesn't change the fact that he DESERVES jail time, now does it?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
ShardmoonVer.1

It wasnt a screw up by the prosecution. It was a series of intentional acts by them intended to convict a sitting senator up for re election of a crime they couldnt legitimately prove he committed. It was a small group of un elected individuals using their position to subvert the will of the electorate. It was a fucking coup.

So much for too much government, eh.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Damn liberal activist Alaskans
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
Damn liberal activist Alaskans
Both of them?
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
ShardmoonVer.1

Except.. the trial was in DC.

If you want government employees electing your senators then you may be in the wrong place.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
A screw up by the prosecutor get him off. I get that. Doesn't change the fact that he DESERVES jail time, now does it?
But that's not the situation now, is it? This isn't some "technicality" about losing an evidence bag and the guy is off.

MISCONDUCT by the state prosecutor - it's intentional.

And, precisely, what does he deserve jail time for? A case that was tenuous at best?

Why does he deserve jail time? Since we've gone through such a debate on the "injustice" of some poor blasted schmuck being wrongfully prosecuted by a silly law, I'm curious to find out why you think the state's misconduct is such a trivial thing...

Seriously.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Depends. Did he do it? Just because the prosecution is incompetent/malicious doesn't make him innocent. It only makes them guilty of other wrongs.

Now we'll never know for sure because he's gotten off.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 04-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
I want to name my cock "The Will of the People."
Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Ice Weasel X View Post
I want to name my cock "The Will of the People."
The tattoo will never fit, you being Asian and all... Maybe you should stick with Will...

/flees
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Oh. Well, since cockfighting is legal over there, I'll just have someone name one for me before a derby.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
ShardmoonVer.1

I see what you did there.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #21
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default In other news... DOJ euthanizes Stevens!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102589818

The Justice Department... decided late Tuesday to pull the plug.

[The] decision is said to be based on Stevens' age he's 85 and because Stevens is no longer in the Senate. Perhaps most importantly, Justice Department officials say Holder wants to send a message to prosecutors throughout the department that actions he regards as misconduct will not be tolerated.
About time!