Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Small Talk

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Default 2D Games... Pro or con?

It's a simple question. I don't quite mean like yesterday's games, or games from 20 years back, but the games that have been released in the last couple years...

2D games still a good thing? Or should there be 3D in all games?

Why do I ask? I have a game design/making program that currently only lets me do 2D games, with the exception of a 3D sprite object that lets me import 3D object files into the game and rotate them around and a Mode 7 object that lets me make Mode 7 worlds. Every now and again I wonder how people these days still like fresh 2D games (not emulated old ones). You might call it an itchy game idea trigger finger. At some point in the next year or two the makers of my program will be releasing some new versions of their program that they're supposed to be designing to allow 3D in, so that'll be rather fun for me! But if I started to seriously cram on programming language studying (C++ seems to keep screwing me over in classes) I might be able to get into some more serious professional fields rather than amatuer hobbyism!

But anyway, what do you think? 2D games - pro or con?

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
Ogmuk
Administrator

I think it all depends on the genre of the game. There are still plenty of fun 2D games such a Jacked Alliance 1 + 2 of which the sequel isn't very old, the old X-Com series (Terror from the Deep was cool too. Anything after that was 3D and sucked ass), Fallout, etc. But I do think that 3D versions of many of these games would be even better, especially with physics games can have these days. A good example is Silent Storm which is the same genre.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:18 AM   #3
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
I also believe its depends on the genre... I mean I think 2D games make awsome fighters and side scrollers... If you have ever played Guilty Gear you know what im talking about. That game is the own! Also Theres Metal Slug! Im so glad SNK is still around to keep 2D alive, now all those bastards need is a new engine... the same one they have been using for the past 10 years is getting kinda old...

2D is great is used properly.
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Yeah, I was thinking about Guilty Gear as well. I need to get the latest one and see how it is compared to the first.

I was kind of thinking... what if they made a Smash Bros game... but with a cast of character fighters from all the Final Fantasy games? "Which Final Fantasy hero is the best? Which villian is the baddest? You decide!" Not saying I'd do a game like that, but do you think they'd be able to do Smash Bros in 2D?

Old 03-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Cless

Send a message via Yahoo to Cless
2D is might not be as prevailant today as it was 10 years ago, but it's still alive. The best 2D game in recent history would have to be Viewtiful Joe even though it is in pseudo 2D. VJ really captures the essence of an old school side scroller and it's difficult as hell (die Fire Leo, die).

Guilty Gear X2 has the same gameplay as Guilty Gear X. It just has a few new characters, costumes and backgrounds. And finally, there was already a Final Fantasy game made called Ergheiz.
Cless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
Zelgadis

Oh, but that wasn't about all of the Final Fantasy characters and villians against each other through out all the series, now, was it?

Old 03-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
Cless

Send a message via Yahoo to Cless
I really don't think a Final Fantasy fighting game would work. To many of the characters are the same. Nearly all the main characters in a Final Fantasy game follow the same formula.

Part of the appeal of Super Smash Bros. was that you could beat the crap out of Mario with Link and so forth.
Cless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
Zelgadis

You're right. Dang. I was hoping Fighter from FF1 would win a fight

Old 03-04-2004, 08:55 AM   #9
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
A good game is a good game regardless of the technology.

but the best use for 2d games is Shockwave/Flash games.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:46 AM   #10
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
I really don't think a Final Fantasy fighting game would work. To many of the characters are the same. Nearly all the main characters in a Final Fantasy game follow the same formula.
Plus, you've got 14 playable from FF6, something like 12 playable from FF4... just too damn many characters! Add up the rest of the games and a few villians and you'd top 100 characters.

Still would be hella cool...
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 AM   #11
Ulujain

For 2D games, the last one I played that was really fun was Jazz Jackrabbit 2. Before that, probably the two Dark Sun games (Wake of the Ravager and the other one). I don't think the "D-ness" of it should really be a factor. I had a blast playing old hoary games like Dig Dug, Mr. Do, Elevator Action, Centipede, etc, and they were all 2D. If it' fun, it's fun.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:52 AM   #12
Vidden
Banned User

2D Mega Man X & Chrono Trigger > all.
Vidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:28 PM   #13
Santril

Send a message via AIM to Santril Send a message via Yahoo to Santril
/agree Vidden.

2D is, and forever shall be, an unique genre of quality games. MegaMan, CT, and countless others are just flat out fun, and the reason I pull out my SNES and Genesis at least once every other week for some old skool playtime.

/rude Capcom for making MMX7 a 3D game
Santril is offline   Reply With Quote