Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Lith Ahntalon

Send a message via AIM to Lith Ahntalon Send a message via Yahoo to Lith Ahntalon
Default Best Job in the world

Did I mention that I have the best job in the world? I am sure Ini will agree. The part of town I work (my beat) is a heavy business district with one residential neghborhood. It consists mostly of a few strip malls/shopping centers, dentist/doctor's offices, restraunts and a boatload of hotels/inns and borders an Army base.

So this morning at about 0730 hrs I have been on the street for about an hour and am cruising the parking lots of my hotels. I see a chevy SUV with the windows down, two people in it and they are out. I hold out with the vehicle and occupants and approach the vehicle I can smell the booze and puke, the latter still present on the passenger side of the vehicle in the form of chuncks. The plate says that the vehicle and the occupants are most likley from the rural county where I spent most of my life growing up.

So I take my flashlight and tap on the windshield a couple times and finally the young man in the front seat wakes up. I almost fell out laughing at the look on his face and then he asks "where am I?" to which I reply "you are in the parking lot of so and so inn." I had to fight to keep a straight face for the rst of the time when he and I spoke and when he woke his buddy up. I will shorten it and say that all I was doing was making sure they were okay but, they appearntly had rented a room at the inn and did not know it and then promptly did not use the room but, slept in the parking lot. I know this because they found ther room key card while looking for thier vehicle keys. I am probably not doing justice to the situation because it was absolutely hilarious.

Suffice it to say that while I am glad they did not kill anyone in their "country come to town" Saturday night, it is moments like this that make the job the best job in the world. Life is the greatest show on earth and I get paid to be a part of it.

Last edited by Lith Ahntalon; 08-26-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Lith Ahntalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Foust Farseer

You know there are people whose job involves waking up and have sex with ridiculously attractive women, right?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Foust Farseer View Post
You know there are people whose job involves waking up and have sex with ridiculously attractive women, right?
It's great when people truly enjoy their jobs.

I am glad to hear someone that is doing so. Personally, I love my job. It can be a lot of work, but I get to really help people. People that need it.

Being in finance, it can be challenging to find a place where you aren't just making a rich person richer... or in a place where there isn't pressure to put performance over ethics.

I love that my job lets me put ethics first, and that I have a direct impact on the lives of clients. It's why I doubt I will ever return to the for-profit world.
Pinkheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
5 years ago I probably would have agreed with you Lith but since about 2007 I have been slowly looking for a way out. Just tired of the people I deal with (inside the ranks of the pd and outside.) I am happy you still enjoy it Lith, keep on to that, world definitely needs more guys like that on the beat.

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Lith Ahntalon

Send a message via AIM to Lith Ahntalon Send a message via Yahoo to Lith Ahntalon
Sorry to hear that brother Ini. I have been there man, I know, the dept. politics can be brutal. Six to Eight years ago I was right there with ya.

All I can say brother the Job WILL beat you down if that is all of what you do. You HAVE to have something(s) outside the Job. I have my wife (who works as a civilian with the Dept.), running, Zen, etc.

I literally have two mindsets. When I am at work, I am at work, when I am home I am home. Funny example: My wife and I have been together for 16 years. When I worked afternoons I would come home for dinner since I live close to the Precinct. We would be on the back porch talking and she would have some fun with me. She finally told me she was doing it. While standing she would take little baby steps toward me and I would back up without even thinking about it. She would walk me across the back porch without my even realizing it. My mindset while in uniform and at work is to keep that reactionary gap open apparently even with somemone I have been on intimate terms with for well over a decade. Out of uniform I have no such reactions.

Sometimes the problem is a lot of cops keep that mindset while not on duty. Learn to separate, keep the Job at work brother. Don't get me wrong, off duty, do I notice shit others don't? Damn sure do but, I am not at the subconsious level of hypervigilance that I have at work.

Again brother sorry to hear it, I hope you find what you are looking for. Oh and brother, if it becomes too much, promise me you will quit...

Last edited by Lith Ahntalon; 09-05-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Lith Ahntalon is offline   Reply With Quote