Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
Kogur
Phatty!

Default I screwed up and am looking for a possible fix...HELP =(

Heya folks,

I messed up. I tried to get a good deal on something that looked really good, and I got burned.

I bought a 21" monitor off of Ebay, a refurb unit, for 85 bucks. I thought 85 dollars sounded like a great deal, and I figured well it's a refurb and that's why. I get it delivered via UPS and when I open the box there's my 21 inch monitor lookin really great.

So I hook it up and turn everything on and it looks pretty good, so I load Everquest. Now the fun starts, I CANNOT play EQ on this monitor, the text is so out of focus and blurry that it BURNS my eyes to read anything on the screen.

When I did the buy it now on the auction, I never even bothered to look up the monitor(I know huge fuck up). It turns out that the monitor has a .28 millimeter dot pitch...and from people I have spoken with that's really bad, especially on something as big as a 21" because it becomes really pronounced.

My question is, does anyone know of a way I can make this monitor to where it doesn't burn my freakin eyes? I want to keep it if I can since I paid 150 dollars with shipping for it. However, if I can't improve the picture then I can't use it cuz it actually hurts using it. My eyes burn and water after about 5-10 minutes of trying to read text off it.

Thanks for your help.

Specifications of the monitor

Model: 91TXM
Manufacturer: Mitsubish
CRT Size: 21.0"
Viewable Size: 19.7"
Dot Pitch: 0.28mm Aperture Grill
Maximum Resolution: 1600x1200
Refresh Rate : upto 160Hz
Display Color: unlimited
Weight: 70 lbs

If that helps anyone...Would adjusting the refresh rate really high help?

Last edited by Kogur; 11-11-2003 at 05:08 PM.
Kogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:03 PM   #2
Nuzum

Unfortunatley,

I dont know of anyway, what the .28 means is the distance between pixels and that is not a thing you can replace from what I understand. Have you tried contacting the company and seeing if there is any sort of recall on this product (even though you bought it on an auction sight).

maybe they know of a place that can help you.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
CrypteBanz0r
Banned User

If that helps anyone...Would adjusting the refresh rate really high help?
No. The only few ways I ever got shit like that fixed on my monitor has burnt out other peoples and I fear giving the same advice.
CrypteBanz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
Kogur
Phatty!

Think a monitor shop could get it looking right? I just don't want to go and spend 400 on a monitor after spending 150 already. =(
Old 11-11-2003, 05:33 PM   #5
CrypteBanz0r
Banned User

Well, gimme a day or some crap. Cause it doesnt really make alot of sense. A .28mil dot pitch isnt acctualy that bad, even for a 21 inch. Its not super or anything but it shouldnt be as horrible as you describe.
CrypteBanz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:54 PM   #6
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
Sorry Kogur but your fucked...

.28 is actually horrible now a days... my 19" is at .21...

Blurriness is due to the dot pitch and that cant be altered without replacing the tube.

What is your refresh rate at 1600x1200 and 1024x768? This wont really help since refresh rate is the speed that the picture on the screen is updated at but im just interested.

Sorry to hear that you got screwed bro...
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
Dorbane

well, there are a few ways.

and if your not an experienced service tech guy you could fry the monitor or give yourself about 115amps worth of jolts.

A computer monitor is just your normal crt, cathode ray tube, and it's not much different from a television. what you would do, (quote) is take off the monitor casing from the back, look for a few knobs that have a philips screwdriveer engraving. (unquote) depending on how it's wired really, there could be fuses near those adjustment knobs and of course unprotected or naked wires. that usually adjusts the internal contrast, the dot pitch, brightness and the adjustment of the screen. Of course theyr'e accessed by the front panel of the monitor but this is another way how to Tune the monitor to a finer adjustment.

It's been awhile since I done this myself, I mgiht have left out a few fine pointers. But you shouldn't really do this and i"m tellin yeh not to if you don't know what i talked about. also if the monitor is refurbished, you may not have the options of tuning it finer. it could be at its best already, whichs means it's a pretty crappy monitor that's slowly burning out.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:15 AM   #8
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
download some movies and enjoy the fact that you can watch them from across the room.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:33 AM   #9
Verno Soulkeeper

I found this:
http://www.pctechguide.com/06crtmon.htm

Dot pitch
The maximum resolution of a monitor is dependent on more than just its highest scanning frequencies. Another factor is dot pitch, the physical distance between adjacent phosphor dots of the same colour on the inner surface of the CRT. Typically, this is between 0.22mm and 0.3mm. The smaller the number, the finer and better resolved the detail. However, trying to supply too many pixels to a monitor without a sufficient dot pitch to cope causes very fine details, such as the writing beneath icons, to appear blurred.
Doesn't sound like something that can be adjusted to me.
So have you tried reducing screen resolution (so as to supply less pixels to the monitor)?
You probably don't really want to do that but you don't mention what you were running it at, so it might be worth a try.
However, I suspect you already tried that, and you mention it is an Aperture Grill, so from the same page:

Aperture Grill
Because aperture grill strips are very narrow, there's a possibility that they might move, due to expansion or vibration. In an attempt to eliminate this, horizontal damper wires are fitted to increase stability. This reduces the chances of aperture grill misalignment, which can cause vertical streaking and blurring. The down side is that because the damper wires obstruct the flow of electrons to the phosphors, they are just visible upon close inspection. Trinitron tubes below 17in or so get away with one wire, while the larger model require two. A further down side is mechanical instability. A tap on the side of a Trinitron monitor can cause the image wobble noticeably for a moment. This is understandable given that the aperture grill's fine vertical wires are held steady in only one or two places, horizontally.
So maybe the aperture grill has become misaligned which I'd guess could be fixed by somone who know's what they're doing.

Good luck finding a solution!

Verno.
Verno Soulkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 05:37 AM   #10
Kerryn

as stated above the dot pitch on that monitor is not brilliant but there is no way that you should be getting headaches from using it and theres no way the image should appear blurred at the resolutions it can handle.

I would suggest you have bought a less then fantastic monitor but i also suggest the particular one you have bought is knackered.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:40 PM   #11
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Your system detect the new monitor on installation and have you removed the old one? My monitor has .28 dot pitch but it's a 17inch and doesn't use aperture grille. Just razor sharp image clarity.
Maybe you need to degauss the screen? You need refresh rate like 70-75Hz (vertical), and maybe 800x600 res. Maybe stretch the vertical and horizontal screen extents after that. If nothing at all made any difference... maybe the tube electron gun has been thrown off calibration and it isn't rasterizing the screen accurately.

Good Luck.

-Mistyglen
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:33 PM   #12
Quimbius

Send a message via AIM to Quimbius Send a message via Yahoo to Quimbius
Bigger monitors have always had a bigger dot pitch and .28 is normal on a 21 inch, the guns could be a little out of synch the fregquency you are running the monior at may be to high to low, just may need a focus adjustment, a repair shop has the diagnostic tools to check the specs for you.
Quimbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 04:20 PM   #13
Kogur
Phatty!

Well,

A little update on this. The monitor was defective for sure and I am sending the PoS back to the people that I bought it from and they are refunding my money(minus shipping, thank god I can ship things on company account numbers). I was playing in HoT in ToV last night and everything was going fine...then toward the end when we were getting ready to leave my monitor flashed a freakin rainbow across the screen.

I mucked with the setting for a few minutes, but after about 5 minutes it started doing it every minute or so. Turned it on today and everything was tinted blue, then it flashed so everything was white, then immediately back to blue. Now it's constantly flickerign between blue and white.

I broke down and bought a:

Samsung Dynaflat Syncmaster 955DF 19" CRT Monitor
Display type: CRT
Display size (diagonal): 19 inches
Diagonal viewable screen size: 18 inches
Tube type: DynaFlat infinitely flat tube with invar shadow mask
Dot/pixel pitch: 0.20 millimeters (horizontal)
Glass surface: Antistatic, antiglare
Input connector/cable: 15-pin D-sub
Maximum noninterlaced resolution: 1,600 x 1,200 at 68 Hz
Maximum refresh rate: 135 MHz
Horizontal frequency: 30 to 85 KHz
Vertical frequency: 50 to 160 Hz
Power on/off: Yes
Key-1/key-2: No
Left/right: Yes
Contrast: Yes
Brightness: Yes
Horizontal/vertical position: Yes
Horizontal/vertical size: Yes
Color temperature: Yes
Language select: Yes
Display frequency: No
Horizontal/vertical moire: No
Pincushion: Yes
Pin balance: Yes
Degauss: Yes
Trapezoid: Yes
Parallelogram: Yes
Rotation: Yes
Recall: Yes
Width: 18.4 inches
Height: 19.0 inches
Depth: 18.3 inches
Weight: 51.8 pounds
Warranty, parts: 3 years
Warranty, labor: 3 years

I haven't hooked it up yet, but with a 3 year warranty and only 200 bucks I think it's an ok deal.(BRAND NEW TOO, sheez)
Old 11-17-2003, 04:19 AM   #14
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
I've had problems like the one you most recently described that resulted from the cord being bad. The connection at the video card is fairly sensitive to strain and it easy to damage. This can result in the picture losing certain colors or warping and eventually going to shit (technical terminology, of course )

Basically if the cord isn't positioned juuuuuust right after it's been damaged even slighty, you get distortion, color loss, and possible permanent decline in image quality.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:26 PM   #15
Kogur
Phatty!

Default Wuwu~

> Well,
>
> I had the monitor hooked up for another two days
> after this, and was going
> to ship it back for exchange for another model
> tomorrow. However, last night
> the monitor began to flash rainbow colors across the
> screen every minute or
> so. I turned the monitor off after about 5 minutes
> of this. When I turned it
> on this morning it was flashing from blue to white
> tint. Everything would be
> tinted blue, but after about three seconds it would
> go back to white then
> back to blue.
>
> The monior I was sent is apparently defective and
> was already going out when
> I got it. Hence, the fuzziness I experienced when I
> first got it. I needed a
> monior that was working properly today, so I went to
> best buy and purschased
> a monitor.
>
> I would like to request that I get a refund of at
> least my 85 dollars for
> the monitor. I will ship it back to you.
>
> Thanks for your time.

I sent this to them, their reply:

we will give you full refund on the problem what you
have by 11/19 thru your paypal account

pls trash the bad one on your ends

sorry for the inconvenience caused in this matter
Old 11-17-2003, 12:51 PM   #16
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
Kogur check your email bro
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:05 AM   #17
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Banton wants a freebie!

/flees

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote