Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2003, 05:52 AM   #1
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Default Electronics question.

I can tear a computer apart and rebuild it time and again and fix this, that, and the other thing, but when it comes to other home electronics I am a bit more leery...

My brother has a Promedia 5.1 speaker system which he blew. Today, out of curiosity, I took the sub apart to see if I could visually identify the problem.

A completely black fuse and soot-covered surrounding PCBs quickly attracted my attention. My questions:

1) How safe and easy is it to remove and replace the fuse? I've messed with automotive fuse boxes before and that doesn't bother me, and I figure I could easily buy the replacement at Radio Shack, so that I'm not too worried about.

2) Is this likely the (only) problem? I don't see it being a huge deal if it's not, because fuses don't strike me as being particularly expensive, so that's no sweat. If the cones are toast, well, then, they're toast. After all, the beauty of computer speaker systems is that the sub doubles as the amp and a mini-receiver, so there's a lot going on in there.

Any input is appreciated.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:44 AM   #2
Kerryn

Replacing a fuse will be very easy. They're designed to be replaced easily but a trip to radio shack and poking it under some guys nose will be in order.

Likelihood of the rest surviving? Well typically damage is caused when the fuse hasn't done it's job and a blown fuse is therefore a good sign.

If the power surge through it was massive then it could have flashed back onto the board which is why the surroundings are charred but it would have to be very big surge before damage was done.

Short it with a paper-clip to see if it works.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #3
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Upon further inspection I managed to find that he fried a capacitor as well, so things just got more interesting

Thanks for the info.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote