Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Vidden
Banned User

Default What are the Rules?

What are the rules now on using Kazaa to get music? How can you do it without getting in trouble?? Can I do it as long as I am not uploading?? Any help?
Vidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:50 AM   #2
Ogmuk
Administrator

Indeed. If you turn 'share files with other users' off (in case you have files in your shared directory which are copyrighted) you should be safe from those who can complain at your ISP. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, the chances to get caught and sued are probably as big as a plane crash

Maybe I'm a loner on this but I think that the MP3/movie 'piracy' thing isn't so bad for the industry at all. How many have downloaded a whole album, game or movie and bought a ticket to see it and/or bought it at the store later too? How many wouldn't have bought/pay to see it if they couldn't have downloaded it? *raises hand*

Last edited by Ogmuk; 10-22-2003 at 11:15 AM.
Ogmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Vidden
Banned User

Ok another question. If someone was being sued by the music industry, could we hold Kazaa responcable?
Vidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:10 AM   #4
Ogmuk
Administrator

No. Kazaa too has somewhere in their user agreement stating that you're not allowed to share copyrighted material with other users. It's not like these P2P networks were made to share your photos and shareware with tho As long as they have that in their agreement they can exist. The users are responsible for what they use the peer-to-peer network for, they only offer the technique for the communication between your and the computer you'll be downloading from, nothing more.

Last edited by Ogmuk; 10-22-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Ogmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Yeah Kazaa is required by law now (I think) to condemn the unauthorized exchange of copywrited material via their service.

As far as I know, however, they are not required to actively pursue those who are involved in any way, hence the RIAA going after people on an individual basis.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote