Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Rheaton

Default Everquest II - FPS

Ok.. since WOW I havnt done much gaming at all...and thats been several months. But I have since D/L'd EQ2. Nice game (and free for 14 days), looks great and runs great at a notch below Best Quality. However, and no matter what I change it to, I will have a sudden FPS drop from 50ish to 2.. then approx. 10 seconds later it recovers. About 5 mins later, same thing. It is consistant no mater where I am or what I am doing. I have turned off everything in the background and to the best of my knowledge, I have no viruses, spyware or rootkits running.

Any suggestions?
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Lurikeen
Freaky

EQ2 is very CPU intensive. So you might want to check your CPU usage while in game. If you have a dual core and are assigning the game to run on a single core try not doing that, since EQ2 is supposed to utilize at least two cores now.

However, I can tell you right now that EQ2 does a lot of swapping to the hard drive. While you play you can see that your hard disk can become pretty active as the game is drawing textures and the like (especially in zone changes). If you have multiple disk drives, try putting your OS swap onto a separate drive and/or partition than what EQ2 is sitting on. It can help some.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Rheaton

Thanks, dude. I D/L'd the latest drivers and set the driver prefs to "maximize for performance". This seems to have over-written the in-game settings, in windowed mode. I am only getting around 32 FPS at max settings, but it isnt the same as when I set the driver to "quality"....seems to be a happy medium as there are no more slow downs even in complex battles. I have yet to raid (level 9! hehe), but the game moves nicely.

There is a certain quality that EQ offers over the rest. I am not a power gamer by any means, but for the 1-2 hour person per night... I am liking EQII.

P.S. - I am on Butcherblock if anyone feels like getting they arses kicked up-side the head by and extremely talented mage.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote