Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Default Computer rebuild (related to last thread)

So I opted to buy a new motherboard, processor, CPU cooling unit, PSU, graphics card, DVD burner and more memory as opposed to simply replacing the PSU. While obviously more costly in dollars and time, I'd been pretty cheap in delaying it this long, so now I'll have a shiny new computer with the exception of the case, peripherals and hard drives, all of which are fine, though I might want a case with better cooling at some point.

On the subject of HDs, what's the likelihood that I can simply plug and play here on an XP pro system? So basically, if I rebuild it and fire it up, what are the odds I don't need to reformat the drives and start from scratch with the OS? I read some conflicting stuff elsewhere- some people seem to think it's fairly doable with relatively current OSs, others seem to think it's a bad idea. Thoughts? Thanks again in advance.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Davek
Squawk Box

If it's just a data drive, those should be OK.

If you're looking at your main OS Boot, you'll be better off doing a fresh install of XP. If not you can get into hassles of system hardware drivers.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

I've got two, the puny 80gb drive that we first built into the system (which is the drive with the OS and huge majority of applications and data) and a 250gb slave drive added in the last 6 months that currently has <1gb of video (no pron sadly, just legally purchased mainstream movies ). I have a 120gb USB drive as well that I use for backing up certain data- I suppose I could just back the vitals up onto that and wipe the slate clean on the original drive.

I was hoping it would be the other answer though- I'm not looking forward to having to reinstall everything (and I'm not sure I even have the discs for some programs- I'll have to do an inventory of sorts).
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
solicia

With Windows you have to put in the system disk (Windows XP Pro disk) and do a repair, there is about a 50% success rate doing this. Microsoft has a really good MSDN post on this. I would opt for the back up of data to an external source either way.
In linux we move hard drives around quite a bit and just run xorg.conf to set up the new hardware. We use a separate partition for the home folder so even a reload of the OS does not affect the home folders data. Right now we have a bunch of hard drives preloaded, with an OEM install of the different distros we use so if we need to set up another work station or server we just pop in the drive and go. PClinuxos or Linux Mint are distros that play really well with Wine, and we haven't had any problems porting to Everquest or WOW so fourth. To supply a local market that popped up in the area, we are selling preloaded desktop computers now with these distros on them, and camera servers for security systems, for that we are using Xubuntu with Zoneminder. Wine has come a long way in the last 2 years, I wouldn't even waste my time with Cedega. Just pointing out some options, but for saving your OS partition in XP the first paragraph is the only way I know how to do it as safe as possible.
solicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Graphics card (and maybe DVD Burner) is the only device you listed that would use its own driver. I've done 'a number' of system upgrades and installed new motherboards, devices etc over the years. Always been able to boot up the OS again with my same old HDD's . For a new mobo its usual to go do your BIOS settings before firing up the main thrusters.

For new devices, it's usual to 'Safe Mode' --> Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager and remove problem devices (little yellow exclamation mark in front of device), install the new driver. Check the Control Panel -->Device Manager again upon restart. For new m/boards upgrading to a new cpu architecture (ie P3 to P4 xx-core or any wicked long jump like that) and the new Octal-jizz-triplicated-mammary-interweave ramstick etc etc the best bet is to iron out BIOS and not set rated cpu Clock speed before first boot (ie just set cpu speed at something casual). Allows the system opportunity to take breaths as it loads for first time the OS desktop environment in its (the comp's) new h/w performance config.

Once in the desktop environment familiar of old, install your driver as above. This is the thing I do after I have set BIOS and successfully booted the new board: m/board chipset drivers, any other m/board related drivers, graphics card driver, directX. Reboot, check in Safe Mode, reboot. Check out BIOS at rated cpu Clock thrust ..do a main engine burn to the desktop environment. Get drunk, throw a party, eat a meal, get to sleep.

But that's just me.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
Davek
Squawk Box

Woot! I've been quoted!

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
solicia

Yeah but he is Australian........
Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

So I got the toys yesterday (oh how I love thee, Newegg.com, if only all e-retailers were as splendiforous) and managed to deconstruct my old machine and replace everything. I was a little worried about the motherboard and CPU swaps as I'd only ever looked over shoulders to see that done before but it was remarkably easy. Miraculously, everything fired up as it should have (on the hardware side). I decided to give it a go on seeing if I could avoid a full wipe and reinstallation of the OS on up, but that's gone less well. All my folders are still there and windows is working, but whatever I did seems to have overwritten my profile settings, so I have an empty desktop, empty start menu, and my old My Documents folder is buried in an admin folder that seems to be inaccessible. I'll probably give it a go tonight to see if I can tinker my way to a solution, but will likely just reformat and start over.

Still, on the hardware side I'm pleased I got everything up and running in just a couple hours work. Also pleased that I splurged for 4gb "more" RAM because I clearly didn't pay attention to what I was running on the old board, as the 2 GB I hoped to move over was incompatible. So I'll have 4 instead of the 6 I thought I'd have, but this just means I'll probably buy 4 more at some point.

This is an expensive hobby...

Edit: played it simple- reformat and reinstall everything. Two weeknights in a row up past 1 AM is not playing out well this AM though, I'm getting old.

Thanks for the advice all, hopefully this will keep me set up for a few years at least and I'll be way better equipped to handle future upgrades.

Last edited by Hormadrune; 03-19-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Hormadrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
GraemeFaelban

Send a message via AIM to GraemeFaelban
When I did my last build, I kept one of the old hard drives, but added a new SATA drive as my main system drive, did a fresh install on that, had all my data available on the old IDE drive I moved over. That seemed to work best for me, did the same thing with my previous build, but with a new IDE drive, as that was before SATA came out.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Lurikeen
Freaky

How did the rebuild go?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #11
WsaberMT

Here's a great cooling case I recently bought for my new build http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811215006 its very very quiet only thing is no removable tray but there is alot of room in it to work so no big deal.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Hey, my eldest brother has started a college course in IT. The hardware bug bit him, teh guy already spent a couple of grand on enough components to build x2 state of art gaming comps. He got 64 bit cpu's and has XP cd's (Home and Pro). Now, I pointed out teh x2 new cpu's are 64 bit which he hadn't realised. I told him he may need to confirm what OS they'll run. He's thinking of giving me (already has a comp) some of his stuff, as ..well the current in-box running stuff has a slightly older quad-core cpu with more cache memory (and he's decided that that's better). So he'll probably give me one of his new 64-bit Quad-core cpu's and a new graphics card. He's got new motherboards, hard drives, ram, Blue-Ray dvd writers, keyboards, mice, 22in LCD monitors ..the whole symphony.

So, good news, I get brand new discards (I never seen that much new stuff still in its store packaging) and upgrade my comp for free. Saving lil me maybe a grand.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
solicia

very nice!!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Ogmuk
Administrator

I'm pretty sure most 64 bit CPU's can run a 32 bit OS without any issues but with today's memory standards, i.e. above 3.2GB, it's still recommended to go with a 64 bit OS because of the 32 bit memory limit. There is XP 64 bit but I don't recommend it because of the limited driver support, among other things.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Thanks Og. I'll get that info to my brother.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #16
solicia

I have never ran any MS based 64 product. This is a good write up on the advantages and disadvantages of it with Debian based Linux. Its about a year old but the articles are still relevant.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765428
Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
Karthanon

I'm running Vista Premium x64, and it works quite well. Getting a decent amount of RAM is recommended though - Vista is a memory pig. Running 2 instances of EQ, a couple instances of Sun VirtualBox (Ubuntu distros), MSVPC2007 (Windows 7), plus web browsing/etc. and it hasn't choked yet.

Thank goodness for rebates/sales, though. I got 8GB of RAM (4x2GB) for around $100 Cdn.

I'm going to Linux Hell saying Vista works well. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry...

Heck, go download Windows7 RC1 and use it for a year. =p
Karthanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #18
Ogmuk
Administrator

I run Vista Home Premium 64 bit on my laptop and it's much better than XP 64. It's a pretty solid OS (and the only one I own legally...).
Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
solicia

I'm going to Linux Hell saying Vista works well. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry...
That made me laugh. I have heard some very good things about Windows 7, such as very light on resources so fourth. The only overwhelming complaint I have heard is the XP compatibility mode is just XP in a virtual box.

On the Vista thing.....We built a media center for a buisiness with the request of Vista ultra what ever media edition. This was the last unit we put out with Windows on it, due to repeated service calls to it. The unit has 8 digital tuners, with 4 gigs of ram and 4TB of storage. I have never had as much trouble getting everything to work together as we did with this unit. The problem we had was getting the unit to talk to the satellite receivers over serial port. This is something we do a lot with Linux based machines. We also had a lot of trouble getting it to recognise the projector with the proper resolution.

Last edited by solicia; 05-28-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Forgot the projector part
Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
Misty
Do Not Disturb

What's that Moore's Law again.. I got a 2g stick of 800Mhz RAM for AUS$70 ..I seem to remember paying about that each for x2@ 1Gb of 433MHz back in the day. And yeh, I got a new board (well its semi-old tech --> asus p5kpl/1600), the 8800 GT goes in a faster pci-e slot, threw a 45nm die fab core2 quad core in and I threw in a dtv 2000 H Plus encoder ( I won't be buying a $1200+ digital tv anytime soon) for less than a hundred as well.

It's a whole new comp. \O/
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff