Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
Kogur
Phatty!

Default So...I had a problem on a raid tonight

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/...sage.id=107774

Everyone please follow that link and report this problem. I could have easily gotten a raid wiped tonight because of a problem that is two years old... It's NOT your keyboards causing that shift ky error. Maybe if we can get enough freaking people to respond to it, just MAYBE they'll do something.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
korast

maybe
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
korast

now that i think about it, I believe this error occurs with alt-tabbing of eq windows. Since this is something they dont officially endorse or allow last i Played eq, I think its safe to say they'll never figure the error out.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
EQW's code is no longer updated, last I tried running it, it wouldn't allow me to connect. So I use the regular windowed mode of EQ. Also, when Sony patched in the windowed mode, they un-banned any players banned for using EQW, so I can venture a guess that they allow the use of that program...were it up to date
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
I don't use any 3rd party apps, even EQW. I still get this. I'm not what's more annoying - this or the bugged auto-run that starts sometimes when I hit Up while typing a message.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:50 AM   #6
Deathands

You can alt-tab out without using EQW now anyway. Not sure how recent that changed, but some still don't know about it. I never used EQW though, always used the shift-alt-R release method before.

Deathands
70 Necro
Deathands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:00 AM   #7
Deviator

sony owes me a new wireless keyboard damnit.... i was having this issue and i thought my key was stuck, i smashed it so many times it actually did break. now im using the crappy keyboard that came with my pc and still have the same problem
Deviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:10 AM   #8
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
I've never had this problem.
Brigiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:54 AM   #9
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Reading that thread I'm not surprised they stopped responding. The volume of crying was so loud I almost couldn't hear the complaints.

I've never had the problem, but I just lgoged in to test it and indeed if you push right shift, push the up arrow, release right shift, then release the up arrow you get it. I've just always held down the shift key while scrolling up, never had the opportunity to get the problem.

There's no reason a single key should have a problem like that. I can't see why coding for the right-shift key would be any different from every other key, including left-shift.

Has anyone tried reproducing on a non-XP machine? With a USB keyboard?
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:22 AM   #10
Kogur
Phatty!

see...I *think* that's the actual "fix" is in the USB keyboard. My dad bought and shipped me a keyboard, that just happened to be a USB keyboard, and I was unable to recreate the problem.

Of course this is also after I did the temporary fix that can be found on page 3 of that link... So I'm not sure if it was the USB keyboard, or the microsoft application toolkit database, that fixed it but something did. YAY!!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:38 AM   #11
Keldarn

I don't have time to read the whole thread on the Sony boards, so bear with me if this was covered there.

It isn't "StickyKeys" causing the problem is it? In Windows XP, if you hold the Shift key down for five seconds, it enables StickyKeys (Accessibility Feature). To disable this feature, go into the Control, double click Accessibility Options, and uncheck the box under StickyKeys. If this was covered in the other thread, then disregard.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:59 AM   #12
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Did you get your account back or something Kogur?
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:27 AM   #13
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
I think he posted in that thread under the character name he's using now.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 AM   #14
Devion

Send a message via ICQ to Devion Send a message via AIM to Devion Send a message via MSN to Devion Send a message via Yahoo to Devion
yes, yes he did...
he did indeed

"I would assume that if I was destined to be the Anti-Christ, my father would have informed me."
Devion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #15
Kogur
Phatty!

oh ya..

I forgot to change my sig. I'll do that later today.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #16
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Anon poster!

/flee

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #17
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
Ah, I just hover over the chat window I want to scroll through, and use the wheel on my mouse :P No hitting any shift keys for me, unless I am trying to repeat a previous /auc :P
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #18
Magicbutterfly

I have a Usb keyboard and a wireless one and they both don't do the shift thing. My husband's keyboard on the other hand is NOT USB and does it so much that i think his shift is probably busted underneath ><
Arch Magus of Magister
Magicbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #19
Deviator

mine were wireless ps2 and wired ps2 that are doing it. i will try a usb and see if that helps any. i will also try the sticky keys thing. this only started when i got my xp machine btw so it doesnt happen on my 98 machine.

also its not scrolling through your chat window, its scrollin through your last prompts... like your last auctions that causes the issue.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #20
Tumnayar DiSalvo

Sticky keys has nothing to do with it, it's some stupid ass conflicting drivers or something. SoE sucks.
Tumnayar DiSalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #21
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Originally Posted by Tumnayar DiSalvo
Sticky keys has nothing to do with it, it's some stupid ass conflicting drivers or something. SoE sucks.
Yes, SoE sucks for not fixing a minor bug which is (A) avoidable by pushing the buttons differently, (B) does not happen on non-XP machines, and (C) only affects PS/2 keyboards. I'm sure it's a fix as simple as checking a box on a fucking popup window, and that it doesn't at all involve searching through reams of code involving controls trying to figure out why the hell one key has this problem while another doesn't.

Frankly, I think it's an XP thing.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #22
Deviator

well since we are on the subject of bugs... does anyone else on xp have a problem with video lag when their log files get over 2mb or so? i notice that when i start a new log file my problems go away, this does not happen on my 98 machine.

what happens is when i do a /who of a zone it takes a few seconds to show it to the screen. when there is alot of commotion going on it will freeze up while turning. this doesnt happen after i start a new log file tho. im thinking it might have something to do with either my mcafee vs/firewall or windows popup stopper but i havent narrowed it down just yet.

this machine is pretty new, and ran fine until dod(no i dont have it yet, but i did do the patch for it) came out, once i called tech support they made me update my video drivers and redo my config file. well it worked after i did the config file but then i found out because the new config file has autolog off. once i turned it back on it started the issue again.

if anyone else is having this problem let me know if you have a fix for it or not. thx
Old 10-26-2005, 04:53 AM   #23
Davek
Squawk Box

Nope...I'm currently running with about a 50 meg log file and don't have the problem you're experiencing.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:17 AM   #24
Siene

Send a message via AIM to Siene
Mine does it all the time. Always happens when Im using the shift/up arrow key to repeat some spam in all caps during a raid. Then I will suddenly notice I am "locked" and all I do to fix it is shift/enter seems to work and I am good to go again. But yes, its the single most fucking annoying thing ever! And I use a logitech key board currently.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 AM   #25
Kogur
Phatty!

If you're using a USB keyboard and you're still having this problem, try this:

Click "New". This will create a new databases under the "Custom Databases" section.
Click the "Fix" button on the top menu.
Enter the appropriate information in the next window. Application Name "Everquest", Name of Vendor "Sony Online Entertainment", and then
for Program File Location put in the Full path to your Everquest.exe file (for me, c:\games\everquest\everquest.exe). Click Next.
On this window, make sure operating system mode is set to "None". Don't checkmark anything, just click "Next".
You'll be on the Compatibility Fixes section. Scroll down until you see the DisableStickyKeys and checkmark it. Then click next.
On the next window click the FINISH button.
Make sure you save it before you exit: File - Save. Give it a name and save it somewhere.
Then right click on it and select install to activate it.

It should now be active whenever you run Everquest.

It seems that Windows XP does not actually completely shut down the sticky key function, but this is supposed to. I did both at the same time, created this database and switched to a USB keyboard...So I'm unsure of exactly which one cured it.