Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2001, 05:49 PM   #1
Shardon

Default Do you believe in god?

Do you?
Old 09-14-2001, 06:57 PM   #2
Zendell

I see this post is getting a lot of replies. I am not afraid to say that I do, but not the christian god. Like someone posted in an earlier thread I read, I believe in one God who goes by 10,000 names and doesn't care which religion you call yourself.

Z

Old 09-14-2001, 07:19 PM   #3
Sandyarie

Me too.
Old 09-14-2001, 07:50 PM   #4
Largar

Why ofcourse. What other choice do you have?

Aliens? (where did they come from then!)

Evolution? (sure two sexes, one male, one female, evolved simultaneously and did the primorodial nasty. Yeah, calculate the odds of that!)

God is the logical choice
Old 09-14-2001, 07:57 PM   #5
Lukaria Trueheart

I sure do.

And I am proud that I do.

Lukaria

Old 09-14-2001, 08:00 PM   #6
PuffinEM

If a god existed it would have to be a similar to Loki. Nothing else would explain the world.

Juego
Old 09-14-2001, 08:23 PM   #7
Revellion reborn

sure
Old 09-14-2001, 08:41 PM   #8
Morttis Jubei

Yup....but sometimes I think I'm one of the "just incase" people. Loki......sounds right!

"Kill the man become the monster" Coal Chamber--El Cu Cuy
Old 09-14-2001, 08:57 PM   #9
itchybottom

actually no I dont. I dont have anything against those who do per-se, but when I close my eyes and try to feel something, I just dont. I dunno.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:10 PM   #10
Mendeus

Why ask believe in God? You should be asking "Do you THINK there is a God?".

If there is a god it would be foolish not to believe in him.

Mend
Old 09-14-2001, 09:58 PM   #11
Greell the druid

ohhh... always wanted to see someone post this.... my answer.. NO, i do not believe in god/religion, my reasons? well, i have a hard time dealing with believing in a figure that says, if your good ill reward you, if your bad, ill punish you, and you go to hell..... sounds more like my parents.... santa wasnt real <sorry to break it to you shardon!> .... why would god be?....

~Greell~
Old 09-14-2001, 10:02 PM   #12
Arikel

Yes, I do. I'm not sure whether it's the Christian god or not, though if it is I suspect it may not be quite what many folks see it as. There has to be something out there, though. Nothing else makes sense.

Old 09-14-2001, 10:09 PM   #13
Emberial

/em is an agnostic taoist

That's all the answer you're gettin outa me!

Old 09-14-2001, 10:37 PM   #14
Abhorrent Malevolence

Nah, I don't believe in God. I'm as agnostic as they come. Have you ever seen really religious people? They are off their nut. Not my crowd.

Abhorrent Malevolence,
Reaver of Innrouuk

Old 09-14-2001, 11:00 PM   #15
Aphroditex

<---religious and not off my nut.

If a god existed it would have to be a similar to Loki. Nothing else would explain the world.

Juego
Actually if you read the bible, when Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden for giving in to Satan's temptation, they were left to fend for themselves in a world without God's full protection. Therefore, you can't blame God for the hell we have created.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In response to the original question, yes I do, very much so.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:36 PM   #16
Zariel

I do. I am a Christian, and believe in the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. The world is so beautiful that I can't _not_ believe. Furthermore, one doesn't have to be religious or belong to a specific faith to believe in G-d -- look at Arikel's reply, above.
I've dated two serious atheists in my life, both for fairly long periods of time. Both have tried to explain atheism. Both have failed abysmally. Maybe I'm too stupid to get it -- or maybe I just know better.

-- Sister Zariel
Old 09-14-2001, 11:55 PM   #17
PuffinEM

Have you ever seen really religious people?
I have to admit that I have. Allow me to present a couple of examples:

us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg..._ny193.jpg
and
a1022.g.akamai.net/f/1022...634541.jpg
and
www.washingtonpost.com/wp...Sep14.html

Religion is a funny thing when taken to extremes.

Juego
Old 09-15-2001, 12:39 AM   #18
CoastToast

Default heh

<---agnostic

beliefs are dangerous... ~_~

-cg
Old 09-15-2001, 01:37 AM   #19
drkillbot

Default Re: heh

<--- right behind toast boy...

Old 09-15-2001, 01:51 AM   #20
Tanvarin

I like to believe something is behind all this craziness, but sometimes I dont know anymore...some things on like what happened this past Tuesday make you wonder, and after that I can't fathom a loving God that takes active part in our lives, its too hard..maybe a God that set the whole thing in motion and went on his way..its hard to come to some conclusion on something you can't get an answer to, maybe thats why so many fall into whatever seems to make them feel good about things, in the end I guess thats all that matters..

I know I don't care for religious followings, people can't even read their own bible and see that God was against worship and houses of worship, I recall a passage in which Jesus destroyed one. Maybe my mind is shot, please correct me if I mispeak on that one, I mean no disrespect. (I'll have to look it up later) I also can't see God not loving his children for questioning something they can't even fathom. (Boy, look at me use the big words) We are curious by nature afterall..

In the end maybe organized religion isn't my bag, but I still want to and still do believe in something greater...but again whatever makes you happy...thats really all that matters right?

Tan
Old 09-15-2001, 02:09 AM   #21
Gurglespit Fruggybasher

I am way too scientific-minded to believe in a "god" but I do believe that there may be a person or people out there who operate at a different level than us.

To believe that we are alone in the universe is the ultimate vanity in my eyes. To think that we are somehow exclusive to this universe (and who says there aren't more universes beyond ours and who knows how truly big our universe is..) is just too outrageous to believe. If just one of a thousand stars that we can see from earth had a planet with a life sustaining makeup (some form of breatheable atmosphere and sustenance for base creatures even of a single cell makeup) and just one out of every thousand of those planets actually had single cell level life, and just one of those thousand planets had more developed life and one of those thousand had intelligent life.. there would still be hundreds of life forms out there.. many probably much more advanced and learned then our own. Therefore there could be "godlike" beings out there.. but if we have had any interaction with them I have serious doubts.

So pretty much agnostic here as well... show me some solid proof (other than a work of fiction penned as a history of the jewish people and twisted over time into a means to control the masses...) either way and I will believe that way is correct.. and since there is more proof against the existence of such a being I am inclined to lean toward that conclusion.

Snuggums - Troll SK - Emarr
Old 09-15-2001, 02:18 AM   #22
Zendell

One correction...the christian god never said you go to heaven or hell. (although I am no longer a christian, I was brought up as one). If you look in the bible, it says eternal life or eternal death. Eternal life with god in heaven, but eternal death is supposed to be just that, death.

Z

Old 09-15-2001, 02:39 AM   #23
Emberial

I think some are confusing agnosticsm with athiesm.

I am agnostic..I believe there is a higher power, just not in any particular religion (and I am a very religious person in the other sense of the word ).

Athiesm is the belief there is no God or higher power at all.

Old 09-15-2001, 03:16 AM   #24
Gurglespit Fruggybasher

Main Entry: 1 ag·nos·tic
Pronunciation: ag-'näs-tik, &g-
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek agnOstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnOstos known, from gignOskein to know -- more at KNOW
Date: 1869
: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
- ag·nos·ti·cism /-t&-"si-z&m/ noun
----
Main Entry: 2 agnostic
Function: adjective
Date: 1873
1 : of, relating to, or being an agnostic or the beliefs of agnostics
2 : NONCOMMITTAL, UNDOGMATIC
----
and so I am commited to neither.. this is from www.webster.com. Therefore.. you are not agnostic by the dictionary meaning.. but you can consider yourself whatever you wish

Snuggums - Troll SK - Emarr

Old 09-15-2001, 04:43 AM   #25
Kuhoolyn

nope, i dont believe in THE god....i believe in the one sorta like zendell