Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
crimsonedge

Default Freedom of speech...

John Kerry Campaign Won't Respond to Destroying Woman's Abortion Sign

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
March 18, 2004

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- The campaign of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry has refused to respond to requests for comment as to why a campaign staffer destroyed a woman's sign at a recent Kerry rally. Kerry saw Rebecca Porter's sign, saying "My Abortion Hurt Me," and a staffer tore it to shreds only moments after.

In an exclusive LifeNews.com story last week, Porter said Kerry was "shocked and surprised" to see her sign. She said a campaign official then took her sign and tore it to pieces. The same staff member destroy a similar sign brought by Porter's friend Cindy.

LifeNews.com has made four attempts to obtain comment from the Kerry campaign.

Kerry's Florida campaign office refused to comment on the situation saying the national headquarters in Washington fields all media calls.

Adam Abram, a press assistant at Kerry's national office, said he was unable to comment and would have to find a Florida campaign representative to respond to our request for an interview.

When the Kerry campaign failed to call back, LifeNews.com spoke with Abram two more times. On both occasions, Abram would not comment and would not provide contact information for a campaign representative who would.

Porter isn't pleased at the Kerry campaign's refusal to respond.

"I'm very disappointed that he will not acknowledge what happened at his rally," Porter told LifeNews.com

"As a presidential candidate for all the people -- including me -- I think he should speak to his staff and apologize to Cindy and I for their actions and guarantee that it won't happen again to other women."

Porter said other women may attend Kerry events to help him understand abortion's negative impact on women.

"My concern is for other women who may be planning on going to his other rallies. I don't want them to have their property destroyed either. I want their freedom of speech rights protected," Porter said.

Porter, who is the Florida director of Operation Outcry Silent No More, a group that helps women share how their abortions hurt them, said she si curious to know Kerry's thoughts about her sign.

"As a supporter of abortion rights, how does he feel about the fact that abortion does hurt many women and men," Porter told LifeNews.com. "Abortion takes the life of our children and leaves many very wounded individuals."

At the event, Porter made her way to an area where Kerry was shaking hands.

"Then it happened," Porter explains. "He reached up to shake a hand in the back and his eyes went up to my sign. He read it and then he looked into the crowd to see who was holding it -- and he looked me directly in the eyes."

"I hope he saw my pain. I was not angry, just pleading with him to understand. You could see the shock and surprise on his face," Porter said.

But within seconds, a Kerry campaign staff member approached Porter and grabbed her sign.

"You can't have that sign here," the Kerry staffer said.

The sign tore and Porter let go. After he had possession of it, the Kerry staffer "tore it to pieces" and walked away. "He wouldn't even let me have the pieces," Porter said.

http://www.lifenews.com/nat387.html

Good thing the Democrats so strongly support freedom of speech...I guess.
Didn't see this until today but it is interesting that Kerry wont respond to it even to deny it. I suppose he hopes it will just go away.

edited typo
crimsonedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
So somebody took advantage of their freedom to have an abortion, and it didn't work out the way they'd hoped, and they're mad because the party that supports that very freedom doesn't want to listen to them bitch and moan about it?

Right.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
bumbleroot

Two words about free speech-
Antonin Scalia!!!
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
Azraelwrath

Hail Hitler!
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

So somebody took advantage of their freedom to have an abortion, and it didn't work out the way they'd hoped, and they're mad because the party that supports that very freedom doesn't want to listen to them bitch and moan about it?
Well, that's one way to look at it. Not the way I'd choose, but one way. Another way to look at it might be that she had an abortion and found out first-hand the damage it can cause and is now using that experience to warn others. Nothing wrong with a change of heart.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #6
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

There any mainstream news items about this? LifeNews.com doesn't strike me as the sort of source I can count on for unbiased or even factual reporting. Not denying or acknowledging the account, but give me a break- LifeNews.com? /snort
Old 04-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #7
crimsonedge

Originally Posted by FanonFaythunder

Right.
Well, you think that is bad Fanon ? Check this out:

Plaintiffs win suit but no money
for underage abortion
By RON NISSIMOV
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
A jury Wednesday awarded no money to a woman and her father who sued an osteopath for performing an abortion while she was a minor without notifying the parent.

Ninety percent of the blame was assigned to the woman for using a fake identification indicating she was not a minor, the panel decided.

But the jury also found the doctor negligent, allowing both sides to claim victory in the first-of-its-kind lawsuit that could help determine how extensively physicians should verify the identification of women seeking abortions.

Cherise Mosley Hughes and her father, Frederick Mosley, 48, sued Dr. Douglas A. Karpen, alleging that he violated a 1999 Texas law requiring that minors' parents be notified at least 48 hours before an abortion. Hughes, who was seven weeks shy of her 18th birthday at the time of the August 2000 abortion, used an ID she obtained from a supermarket to convince Karpen and employees of his clinic that she was 18.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metro/2506899

It amazes me that a lawyer would take this case, but until we get some reforms it will continue to happen.
crimsonedge is offline   Reply With Quote