Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 10:20 AM   #26
Frekkels

Arrow Drive-Thru EMPLOYEE Etiquette

Hail,

I don't curse. I can speak clearly and understandably into the speaker in perfect English. I may not know what I want right away every time, but my order is generally completed in under 60 seconds. Most of the time in under 30 seconds.

Here's what I want:
1. Drive through attendents that can speak English clearly. I could care less if their grammar is correct, as long as I can understand what they are saying. I don't mind someone who can't speak English making my food, but they shouldn't be speaking to the public if they can't do it well. People with heavy accents shouldn't be at the drivethru speaker, though I don't mind them as much at a counter register.

2. Inform the people wearing the headsets that what they are saying is automatically amplified, so they don't have to yell into their microphone. The microphone only works properly when it is within a reasonable distance from the speaker's mouth. If it is worn or used improperly, what they say comes out garbled.

3. Empty the garbage cans in the parking lot on a recurring basis.

4. Clean the parking lot every so often. It doesn't have to look like a golf course, but it shouldn't be littered with detritus either.

5. Make sure your menu actually reflects what you have on hand. If you are out of Cherry Coke, either replace the syrup cannister or take it off your drive-through menu. Putting a piece of electrical tape over the Cherry-Coke emblem would get the message across that you don't have any at the moment.

6. Don't leave me waiting at the speaker for two minutes without saying anything. A quick "I'll be with you in a moment" would be fine. I'm using your establishment because I'm in a hurry. If I say "hello?", it is because I am ready to give you my order and am trying to save us both time.

7. If you are all out of Soandso food item, and it will be 10 minutes before any will be ready, TELL ME up front. Give me the opportunity to change my order instead of telling me after you have my money and I waste half my break waiting in a parking lot w/o half of my food.

8. Learn to make change properly. If the order comes out to $6.51, and I give you a ten and a penny, it shouldn't take 2 minutes to figure out the change because you forgot or were too lazy to use the register calculator.

9. If my food is going to come in multiple bags, please hand them to me in an orderly manner. Don't hand me 4 full bags at once. Don't hand me ONE bag and then wait 3 minutes before parceling out another one, while my drinks are still sitting on the shelf. I've driven off before because the window cashier didn't tell me my silly dessert was going to come in a separate bag and hadn't beed retrieved from the fridge yet. (I ordered ONE sandwich and one beverage, plus a dessert. Nothing else.)

10. DON'T hand me my drinks when they are spattered with soda all over them. Please fasten the lid securely. If I'm ordering four drinks, don't look shocked when I ask for a carrier.

11. Remember to include straws with my drink. I don't care if you put them in the bag or hand them to me with the beverages. If you say "they are in the bag", you better have put them there. That's one more reason I CHECK MY BAGS at the window, because I've been told that before when it wasn't true.

12. Same as 11 for spoons, forks, knives, and sporks. If I order a salad, I don't want to eat it with my fingers.

13. If I order your chicken pieces (tenders, McNuggets, whatever), and I TELL YOU what sauce I want, please include it in the bag. I don't mind that much repeating it again at the window, but put the right sauce in the bag.

14. If I ask what sauces or dressing you have, you ought to know. I hear plenty of "umms" through the speaker while someone checks their inventory.

15. Give me my receipt EVERY time. Put it in the bag or hand it to me with my change. I don't care which. It is the proof I use that my order was taken correctly when I get the wrong food at the window. It also clears up misunderstandings when I find the food I was given matches the receipt, but not the order I placed at the speaker. Many times have I received the order for the car AHEAD or BEHIND me.

16. If you have long hair, put it in a net or under a hat. I know there are rules about this, yet I see them violated all the time.

17. Fix the driveway asphault. I don't want to damage my vehicle just because the manager was too lazy or the owner too cheap to get the GIANT pothole in the drive through lane fixed.

18. I don't care what size, race, # of piercings or tattoos your employees have. But I would like them to be reasonably clean. A bit of ketchup on their shirt tells me they are working hard. Hair that hasn't been washed in a week makes me want to go somewhere else. Enforce some personal hygiene standards among the employees. I shouldn't smell their BO from my car. I also shouldn't be overwhelmed by their perfume/cologne either.

19. Don't give me an attitude just because the fellow three cars up was an idiot. I want to make the transaction as fast and pain-free as you do.

20. If I ask for what your specials are, please have that information handy. Time-sensitive limited food offerings usually aren't on the menu, even if they are plastered over the windows. I'm asking because I'm interested in knowing more information before making a purchase.

21. Know what goes into each of your products. If I ask if it uses rehydrated onions instead of fresh, it is for a reason. (I'm allergic to a chemical in them.)

22. If you are out of the silly toys in the kids meals, tell me in advance. The rugrats care about that stuff, even if I don't. You'd be surprised how often the choice of dinner location is made by the kids and not the parents.

23. If I say no lettuce, I mean it. Doesn't mean I want half, or even just a few stray pieces on my food. I meant none, and that's what I expect.

24. Give me my total at the speaker please, or tell me to drive up and that you'll give it to me at the window. This lets me get my exact change ready for you and saves us both time. It also gives me another chance to fix any possible gross misunderstandings, because I have a rough idea how much I'm spending already.

25. Give me NAPKINS. When I ask for extra, don't say they are in the bag. I want more for a reason, and the cost isn't coming out of your salary.

I worked fast food as a teenager at one of the busiest stores in the Northeast region. I've seen good managers and bad. I've seen good employees and bad. It really isn't that hard to do the job right.

Oh, and it would be nice if you smiled, though that isn't a requirement of mine.

Take care,
Frekkels
Frekkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:30 AM   #27
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Chances are I will sit there and piss off you and everyone else behind me
/shrug Nobody's perfect. Sometimes, beit rush hour, people out sick, act of God, fast food joints run out of prepared food and it takes a couple of minutes to cook the next batch. They are not asking you to move up to purposefully inconvenience you, rather, since you'll have to wait anyway, they'd rather not inconvenience you AND everyone else. If you can't wait 2 minutes for your chicken sandwich to cook without whining, I suggest you order something else.

It goes both ways. In my experience, one side is no better or worse than the other. I (much too) frequently get the drive-thru lunch and I've worked in fast food before. Some fast food people can be nice and competent, others can be real assholes and couldn't flip a burger without help. Some customers are friendly and patient, others think the world revolves around them and that you are some lower form of life. Both sides need improvement.

Fast food employees:

You are in the service industry. You are paid to service others. You are paid to be nice to the customer, no matter how you're feeling at the time. If it gets out of hand, you are paid to walk into your manager's office and get them to deal with it. People that treat you like shit will eventually get what's coming to them. Spitting in their food or being rude just proves that you can be no better than them. If you feel that you don't get paid well enough to treat people with courtesy no matter how they treat you, then this is not the job for you.

Customers:

The people behind the microphone and the counter are human beings, the same as you. Even if it is the case sometimes, you cannot automatically assume they are working there because they lack the skill or intelligence to work somewhere else. Some people may be working their way through school, others may be there because there are no jobs in their specialized field available (I've seen MCSE's apply to the Dairy Queen before), and still others may just enjoy that type of work. If you are in a hurry, that is your problem, not theirs. Chances are, they are in there busting their hump to get orders out as quickly as possible. Shooting the messenger does absolutely nothing to help, and, in most cases, it hinders, because they now have much less desire to get you what you want, when you want it. Just because they are paid to put up with your shit does not give you the right to insult and dehumanize them.

Oh, and lets not get into whose job is more stressful than whose. Try doing phone tech support (sitting on the phone all day) and see just how "stress free" it is.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #28
Moltie

I love those rules Aamrie, says all the things that I forgot. Everytime we try to do something silly like posting rules our owner gets his panties in a bunch. (He looks like a buff, hairless halfling anyhow..) Anyhow, permission to print a few of those out to add to my own? (Hey maybe I'll get away with posting something this time..)

For everyone else, the problem is that most employees (Like myself and Aamrie) actually try and be pleasant from day to day. And yes, there are plenty of regular customers, who are extrememly pleasant, and then there are those who are rude every single day, and have zero appreciation for the fact that we made their order specially for them (since at my work everything has a variation to it, besides the way we make the doughnuts I guess). Hardly anyone has a sense of humor, or the ability to say "Thank you" or "You too" when we ship them off with "Have a nice day".

Kerryn, I can see where your coming from, and from the way my place works I can see where the order can be messed up. At my work, we don't have any keys for "Light cream" or "No ice", we have to use codes like "Half Cream" (since there is a button for cutting bagels in half). Sometimes though, an order can be very specific, and our codes just get too confusing. If there is a long queue and the order isn't able to be made as the person at the speaker says it (which happens, at least where I work, because we only have one person per work station). So they will see the code, but not realize that it was "Really really light cream".

Not everyone should take these type of rules personally. At most just get this message out of everything, "Treat everyone how you like to be treated."

<Radiant Eclipse>
Shadowbane
~Nevaeh Skyfire ~ Templar ~ War
Moltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #29
Raedwulf

Send a message via AIM to Raedwulf Send a message via Yahoo to Raedwulf
I live in Los Angeles. It seems there's some rule out here that in order to work at a drive thru window, you are not allowed to speak English as a native tongue. I think there's also a rule about using speakers or microphones that have been manufactured in the past 20 years, for the sound always blows.

I've pretty much stopped going to the drive thru because it's such a headache making sure that my order is correct. Thank goodness that most of the drive thrus have an Order Screen available, so that I can at least read what the bozo thought I ordered, even though I can't understand him or her one wit.

Anyone that works in customer service is a saint. Whoever does the hiring at the local drive thrus is a moron. The ability to speak and understand English must be a requirement.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #30
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Hmm... glad I worked back line and not front line while I was working for Hardee's in 2001. Never was the person who could actively go around like "Hi, welcome to so and so's!!" with a big ol huge smile on my face, or felt like I could remember what all to say and how to say it properly without blowing up (durn pretty ladies, making me all nervous. D00d my nervous iz huge!!). Sure felt like I had a ton of more responsibilities working back line than seemed the front line guys. But it sure was nice of them when they came back after hours to help me finish my closing work.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:53 AM   #31
Ariakkas

i worked as a pizza delivery driver for over a year at pizza hut.

i can count on 1 hand the number of customers i got that were disrespectful to the extent that it bothered me.

friday and saturday nights would get extremely hectic, people i work with would call in, i'd be the only driver, taking 7+ orders out at a time, got my front seat and entire back seat lined with pizzas.

people would get cold pizzas, or have to wait over an hour, and if they said anything, i'd just give them thier pizza free and tell the 18 year old shift manager to kiss my ass if he had a problem with it.

i had ONE guy get shitty with me on an order, he was plastered and didn't like having to wait 45 minutes for his chicken wings, since he was being a dick, i told him to get bent, and ended up taking the 50 wings home with me =)

i had one other person get shitty with me on the phone, i jsut hung up on him.

most other things were just little gripes and bitches that i forgot about 2 minutes after they left the store, and like you said, i don't give 2 shits if they leave with thier pizza or not, i don't rack my brain over a pissed off customer, it's not worth it.

i would have to say my current job is less stressful over-all, but on the days shit hits the fan, i'd give anything to jsut stack some pizzas in my car and drive around listening to the radio all night.
Ariakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:20 AM   #32
Ziktiny

Send a message via ICQ to Ziktiny Send a message via AIM to Ziktiny Send a message via Yahoo to Ziktiny
Ghie,
I think you may have hit on part of what makes In-n-Out Burger so popular. Every time I drive up I get a cheerful "How are you today?" When I respond with "Not too bad, how about yourself?" The person understands what I have said and responds appropriately. I have never had a negative experience at the In-n-Out drivethru. I think that someone has realised that the extra ten seconds spent to make me feel welcome makes no real difference in my overall time in line, yet contributes to my desire to return.

Finally retired
Ziktiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:50 AM   #33
Venlail

2) Hide your bongs before you pull up to the pick-up window.
What the hell for? Cause ya want some and can't get it?

26) Do not give us wet, sweaty, sticky, or gross money unless you want wet, sweaty, sticky, or gross food
But the food is like that

42) Brush your teeth.
Ya, the smell over the speaker is outrageous!!
BloodLord and Retired Member of Whit`s End
Venlail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #34
Karisma

You know what I love? The drive-throughs with the extra menus further back, so you can have some idea if an item has been added or removed, a combo number changed, etc. without sitting at the speaker while you re-figure your order in surprise. It's not like you can just back out of the way once you get up to the speaker (and if you've recently had an item change on the menu, *don't* get all annoyed with me when I'm not expecting it--I'm not psychic and I'm really not intending to make your life difficult).

I've known good and bad servers and good and bad customers. One bad turn leads to another, so don't forget what it's like to be on the other side of the fence.
Karisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:48 PM   #35
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

I want all those things that Frekkels posted too. I get frustrated when I have to repeat my oreder 5 times to someone who can't understand or speak English. But I keep my cool for one simple reason...

but wouldnt it be safer not to piss of the person who fixes your food?..
Damn right! For that reason I usually kiss ass. I even say "please" and "thank you".
Valleycrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:46 PM   #36
Raedwulf

Send a message via AIM to Raedwulf Send a message via Yahoo to Raedwulf
I always save the bitching for AFTER I get my food. Then it's a quick little "May I speak to the manager."

Of course, the last time I did this, it was the manager that had taken my order and screwed it up. "I clearly stated McRib Meal, not McGrill." "But I repeated it back to you as McGrill." "Well, I couldn't understand you, and that was the reason I pointed to the picture while speaking, and didn't just say number 10." The guy gave me the correct sandwich, and then wasn't going to refund the buck difference in price. If I thought he would understand my annoyance with him, I woulda said something more, but screw it.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:01 PM   #37
Nuhget

Pretty funny stuff, all I have is this to add for you fast food workers:

If I did not order fries...

I DONT WANT FUGIN FRIES !!!!

seriously, wtf is up with the habit of always asking me this?

Are you guys paid off by the people who make medicine for high cholesterol?

I am always SO tempted to get "smart" with the worker... but Im always afraid they will in some way molest my food.

Nuhget
The Mighty
Crus
Retired knight
Nuhget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:02 PM   #38
Dalamarn Darkgem

I worked fast food back in the day too.. so I know where some of this is coming from... a lot of it.. I just disagree with.

2) Hide your bongs before you pull up to the pick-up window.
This hurts you how? If it wasn't for that bong.. he probably wouldn't have made the 10:30 run for food that pays yours salary.
9) Know what you want BEFORE you get to the drive-thru sensor or the front register.
Umm.. isn't that what the menu is there for? Why bitch about us ordering stuff you no longer carry if we're not allowed to look at the board. besides.. if they take a second to read it.. it gives you a few seconds of break. Sounds like any excuse to bitch to me.
15) If you are old or ugly, no flirting.
Ugly people need loving too.. and it takes more confidence for them to do so. Old people have more money... LOL.
21) If we ask you to repeat something, do so quietly and respectfully, jackass.
this one goes both ways.
23) Learn to read a menu.
We aren't allowed.. we have to spit our order out as fast as possible upon arriving at the drivethrough sensor.
34) Don't check your order of food after we give it to you. We have better things to do than wait for you to move.
This is the one that REALLY bothers me. If people didn't fuck up my order 75% of the time.. I wouldn't have to. What would you rather me do? Take a few seconds to check my order.. or sue your ass because you gave me the onions I asked you not to 3 times and sent me to the hospital with a severe allergic reaction?
40) Quit using $20 bills to pay for a coke.
Because $20 are no longer legal tender in these United States of America. I can see $100 and even $50's but my ATM doesn't give me $1 or $5 bills.
42) Brush your teeth.
OOOOOKKKKKKK... unless youa re climbing through the window and into the car with them (ala dukes of hazard entrance or something) I dont see where this is an issue.
44) Say you want cheese right away. Otherwise we have to start all over.
Because we all know what your register systems allow.
46) Learn to count. Do one order per car. Do the math on your OWN time to split it with your friends.
Umm.. so my coworkers and I get to play the "open the burger and get your hands all over my food trying to see what it is because the cashier is too fucking lazy to take two orders" game? WOOHOOO!
48) We give you the receipt for a reason. We don't want it back. And if we do ask for it, don't stick it in our face or throw it at us.
I'm guessing this happens because someone IN the store fucked up... or is the receit lying. Of course.. the ones in the store are always right and we're not allowed to check our order anyways... right?
50) We're not payed enough as it is. We are reminded of this every day. Don't expect 5-star service.
Who is paid enough?? We all have a job to do. You accepted that job at that rate of pay... Deal!
55) For the 2 minutes you are in drive thru, there is no one else in your car. Quit talking to them.
Because only the driver is allowed to order food?
57) Don't try to blame us for YOUR mistakes.
Like putting the wrong info on that receipt we're handing to you... right? Some of the things mentioned are valid.. a lot of it is the biggest crock of shit I've heard... I'd say split about 50/50.
Dalamarn Darkgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:52 PM   #39
Abrucx

omg ironlute, hi~

If you still are in the town you were before, it sure does explain all the idiots you have as customers :P Should come over to Crapchester, the city may suck, but at least 50% of our population has an IQ over 90! And, more importantly, no mullets!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:55 PM   #40
Cless

Send a message via Yahoo to Cless
And what is wrong with a mullet?

*punt Abrucx*
*wave Ironlute*
Cless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:34 AM   #41
Qyesa

For the person that asked why ask if someone wants fries if they didn't ask for them . . .

I worked at a fast food place and it was required of me to ask. It's called filling out the order. If you were to order one of the meal combinations, I'd have suggested a dessert. The same thing goes when the order taker asks if you want cheese on your burger. They know you didn't ask, but they have to.

Qyien
Qyesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:24 AM   #42
Davek
Squawk Box

I worked at a fast food place and it was required of me to ask. It's called filling out the order.

Funny, when I worked at McDicks years ago, it was called "Selling Up". Yes, it was required and you were watched to see if you did it.

It's not filling out the order...it's trying to rake in more cash for the fast food chain by getting the customer to buy something they really didn't want.

Gawd, scary to look back now and realise that was over half my lifetime ago! /SHRIEK

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:57 AM   #43
Walterscott

The world needs ditch diggers too...
Old 02-26-2003, 10:39 AM   #44
Lilliah

Actually, it's more of a Cherry Cake type of thing...with a glaze on it.
even better! i send you money, you send me cherry cake type of thing! K?!

;>
Old 02-26-2003, 10:55 AM   #45
Moltie

Default o_O !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ab - I'll prolly be in a game over the next week or so, I will shoot you a tell as I wanna email you but lost the email If you are ever in mullet town (lol) come stop in my drive-thru and get all the free doughnuts and cookies you want. *grin*

*gives Cless a good old fashioned *SMACK*!*

All the old stud muffins comin' out of the woodwork now...

As for the selling the extra stuff, yeah, it is required, we call it "Suggestive Selling" at our store. We have to make sure it is specific too, I always *have* to tell (or we get in trouble) my fellow employees that we are "Out of the Any flavor Muffins". They have to say "Would you like a chocolate chip muffin today?" Not just "Any Muffins today?". It is so the owners make extra money, and often times our owner comes through the drive-thru just to make sure that we try and sell him something. Sometimes, it works though. I have sold many things that way (we get employee bonuses for actually doing it sometimes), and I have even sold snack packs of timbits .

<Radiant Eclipse>
Shadowbane
~Nevaeh Skyfire ~ Templar ~ War
Moltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #46
Davek
Squawk Box

even better! i send you money, you send me cherry cake type of thing! K?!
Damnit, I just had my break and I read this...now I'm hungry.

Maybe tomorrow I'll see if they have any and buy one, then eat it as I type a message back

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:16 PM   #47
raaggee
Banned User

STFU and get my burger...and hold the spit
raaggee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:43 PM   #48
Aamrie

As I sit here and read the replies over my list of rules for Burger King customers...I want to laugh so hard it hurts...

The list I posted was in jest. It was something that I found on a website. Do I agree with all of them? No . Do they all apply to customers through drive-thru? No

But the more I read...the more I begin to wonder if the rules jab to close to home for some of the posters..

Mayhaps I should venture to your place of employment and see how you treat your customers...

Jack Thompson: Yes, put down the controller and get a life. Video gaming is an escapist activity and youíre being exploited by these companies. Itís not healthy; I worry about someone who would play Grand Theft Auto for ten hours a day. Itís a masturbatory activity, and it would be better if people put down the controller and went outside.
Aamrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:52 PM   #49
kanya

Send a message via ICQ to kanya
i work in the only bank in the county that customers WANT to come to.

it's all about the customer service. you can make any number of mistakes, and if the service is good, they will come back. and at a bank, that's saying a lot because people are really touchy about their money.

all of our merchant depositers have to make trips to multiple different banks in town for their transactions, and all of them save the one i work at for last so they can finish on a high note.

so feel free to come visit us sometime, i have no doubts the experience would be a good one. even if you have a problem, nine times out of ten, you'll walk out happy.

kanya
kanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:54 PM   #50
kanya

Send a message via ICQ to kanya
Default oh yeah, and p.s.

good customer service is not hard.

in reality, the people who are posting the mock rules and side rants about pain in the ass customers know this better than anyone else.

this thread was just some venting and releasing so they can go back to work and hand out exceptional service once again.
kanya is offline   Reply With Quote