Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
Vespay

Default Worms

Not too long ago my computer received a virus through the simple mistake of someone unzipping a file that shouldn't have been unzipped in the first place. Thus, giving me a worm that has embedded itself into several of my files.

The worm has not caused any serious damage, (yet), and I am thankful that it's only "toying" with me, but regardless I know I must get it removed, and no norton antivirus program is going to detect it.

Several of the programs it corrupted and then deleted COMPLETELY from my system is as follows:

::My WHOLE 15gig music collection
::ALL of my system tools, including backups, restore, etc etc
::Removed AIM from my computer
::Screwed with my IE web browser so there is no longer an address bar up top (yes i know you can choose options that will show and not show the address bar but trust me, i've done what I can and it's gone)

And several other smaller programs such as the games that are installed into your computer, my microsoft office that includes word/frontpage/etc etc ...

I know there is the option of reformating but I DO NOT want to lose all the information that I have left /cry I don't even think I could back any of it up. Does anyone have any other information on how I could possible remove this bastard from my computer without having to reformat or spend lots of money taking it to a shop to try and have them repair it to only possibly result in have to reformat anyways?

I would GREATLY appreciate if anyone has any information at all.

But on to the rant ...

Believe me when I say I tortured the person who opened that file on my computer since it gave me that virus. But why do people do shit like that? Create virus's that fuck with people computer. What satisfaction do they receive from being total fucking assholes? I would go balistic if I EVER saw the person who created this virus, any virus, especially putting it on my computer.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:46 PM   #2
Alauradana

Vespay, you need to know what you are dealing with. I got a virus once and I found the files from the virus on my computer. I went through the Explore and checked any items I did not recognize. I came across a txt file and when I looked at it, it had a lot of crap--political opinions and such, and I was able to identify it by cross checking that information at Symantec. It may be a long shot but try checking in the unzipped files folder where that file was unzipped into and check any txt files in there. I am sorry that this is not much advice, but it might be a start. And, if you haven't already done so, update your virus definitions and rerun Norton.
Alauradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 02:51 AM   #3
Kerryn

::My WHOLE 15gig music collection
::ALL of my system tools, including backups, restore, etc etc
::Removed AIM from my computer
::Screwed with my IE web browser so there is no longer an address bar up top (yes i know you can choose options that will show and not show the address bar but trust me, i've done what I can and it's gone)

There come's a point when you have to say enough is enough. When a virus gets this much of your computer you're days are numbered. You have to find out whats doing this and you must do it quick.

Id say if you can't kill it soon it's time to reformart and start again otherwise you will constantly be fighting this thing.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:34 AM   #4
Sakkath

Removed AIM from my computer
At least it did something good for you - and made your system more secure
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 04:29 AM   #5
Greell

sucks for you ves! i had a virus last weekend. i lost over like 600 mp3s, movies, $1000 in professional pirated software, important documents, emails, adresses, all my EQ stuff had to be redone and reset in game. and all because of a hack program i was doing, grrrr. anyway! it sucked because it was a little worm, that wasn't all that damaging. it just took up a lot of memory, because it make a copy of itself to every file on my hard drive (and if you know computers, you know there are over 8k files....) and they were all cloaking and incripted so i couldn't do much =( sooooo...reformatted.../shrugs..clean slate now. all good..and i'll just download my music back and re-pirate that software i need..

~Greell~
Greell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 06:39 AM   #6
Prefect

I wouldn't call AIM being gone a bad thing, look on the bright side LOL
Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:31 AM   #7
Ssetti

Send a message via MSN to Ssetti
Get a CD burner, you'll never lose data again.
Ssetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 08:38 AM   #8
Nimhloth

Send a message via AIM to Nimhloth
I agree. You really need a CD burner if you don't have one already. I recently had a virus that was infecting all my .exe files. I removed it but still had problems. Ended up burning about 9 cds of backup, then reformatted.

But yes..burners are the key.
Nimhloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:16 AM   #9
Sakkath

Time to get a DVD writer then I guess. My primary computer has 80GB of disk space and I'm just about to upgrade it to 160GB because it's 90% full. Thats a lot of CDs :eek:
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #10
Islington

Well if it's any consolation, you just, potentially, saved me a lot of stuff. Because of this thread I decided it was time to backup some recent files onto CD. Went to get my Backup CDs and found one of them missing... So now I'm backing up that CD all over again. Thanks.
Islington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:47 AM   #11
Azraelwrath

Its time to get norton systemworks
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:12 PM   #12
Toxx

Default Re: Worms

Originally posted by Vespay
But why do people do shit like that?
http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/
Old 02-24-2003, 03:18 PM   #13
Parascol

Norton Ghost =)
Parascol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #14
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default Dump Norton...

Try NOD32. I have never went back to Norton. This AV is simply the best. http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/home/home.htm
Old 02-26-2003, 12:12 PM   #15
raaggee
Banned User

My dog had worms
raaggee
raaggee is offline   Reply With Quote