Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2003, 05:36 AM   #26
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

Really? Wow....have had em for like 3 years now. They are super quiet and have given me no problems. Quiet being the key factor for me as I use them in my recording studio.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:08 AM   #27
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
Yeah the past few years have seen IBM quality control go to the pisser. If youre happy with yours then score man cause youre lucky. I know several people who have had 5 and 6 drives on them all fail, all of different model and size. IBM recently sold their HD division to someone though and hopefully this will bring them back to life.
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:18 AM   #28
darue_ivywood

same thing about HDD's can be said about Western Digital and Seagate (dunno if Seagate is even in business anymore) in the greater Phoenix area.

And if it happened here, it could very well happen anywhere.

What happened?

well, western digital in their infinite wisdom decided to dump all the refurbished drives into the areas retailers. Well, refurbished means just that..it once worked, then died, and should now work again after re-work was done on a drive by drive basis. This of course is not 100% guaranteed. (how many times have you had intermittent failures on components..those are the worst because people trouble shooting these might say...'heh, this works, why was it sent back?'..and put them back into circulation)

It came to a point where many retailers (mainly mom and pop shops as the larger corps (Frys Electronics is notorious) just dont care) just simply would not stock WD Drives anymore until the re-furbished were out of the system.

Just a heads up, if one company can do this, assume all company's can and will as well.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:02 AM   #29
Lurikeen
Freaky

Yeah the past few years have seen IBM quality control go to the pisser.
That pretty much sums it up for all the hard drive manufactuers. I can't recall, but isn't there just two companies that build the motors and platters for the large hard drive companies?

I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda that promptly gave up the ghost 45 days later. I took it back to the local computer shop I purchased it from and they happily replaced it. That was almost a year ago, and the drive is still working. /cheer!

If you are looking for a hard drive there a couple things you can do for yourself to ensure you will not get completely hosed.

1) I buy all my hard disks from a reputable local computer store. I could mail order and find one much cheaper, but sooned or later you get that one bad drive and it has to be replaced pronto.

2) Image your boot disk at least monthly and store the image on a spare drive. I use Norton Ghost. I have found it to be the best. If a drive crashes I don't lose all my data and I don't have to go through the hours of work reapplying my software once I replace the hard disk.

3) Replace hard drives once they have reached their half life. Each drive is rated for x number of hours. I leave my computer on 24/7 at home so it is not difficult to figure out that in a couple years I will need to upgrade my drive. It also makes it easier to clone the new drive from a functioning drive.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:28 AM   #30
Mitch the Blond

Default .

Sod Dell, what about ATI graphics cards.

Bought a Rage 128 2 CPU 64mb thingy about 18 months ago, took it home, halfway through install...crash..repeat etc etc

Turns out it was not supported under XP /boggle and ...due to some conflict between the twin CPU setup and XP it was not GOING TO BE supported...ever ! /double_boggle

Now that episode should have warned me but stupidly I went and bought a Radeon 9500 pro 128 this week after being assured that there were no major problems with it.

Take home, install, try on a few games and see no real difference over the GFX 2 MMX that had previously been in that box ...hmm... load EQ..char select..CRASH..repeat..etc

Download latest drivers..same result
Download previous 2 versions of drivers... same result
Contact EQ support online, get told to try 9700 drivers (same as 9500) ..same result

research through ATI website and find lots of tech info on many problems with the card (yes i should have ignored reviews and checked this out first but i was in a hurry).

Return card to shop next day to be told ''we have to test everythign before we refund/exchange''.

I said I just wanted a 4200T1 (which i also use and has no probs) and I could guide them to the ATI website so that they could see the problems with the card drivers admitted by ATi themself.

guy behind counter was a kid and all he could do was say '' we test everything before we ...'' ad nauseam.

After 30 minutes of shouting and him managing to call the ''previously uncontacable manager'' I left with a order note for a 4200T1 and a refund of the difference.

Morale of the story?

Dont buy a fucking ATI card.

I'll never touch anything else made by them, twice bitten twice shy.

Btw the 4200Ti worked perfectly first time.

Mitch
Old 02-14-2003, 09:55 AM   #31
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Default Re: .

What was that, Mitch?
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]
Kidding.  Anyway, did you just uninstall the nVidia drivers and install the ATi ones?  I've heard of problems caused by a few nVidia/ATi switches, and it's generally safer to do a clean installation of Windows when switching if you can.  As for the performance difference (or lack thereof), were you running anything at higher resolutions with FSAA/Anisotropic Filtering turned on?  Lower resolutions and settings tend to not be a huge improvement, but once those are bumped up, high-end cards really pull away from earlier generations.  My Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 Pro is chugging away, and blows away the GeForce 4 MX (yeah, I know... but it's not a gaming setup) in our work computer in the living room.
Ice Weasel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:35 AM   #32
Dredblade

Don't buy and ATI card? LMAO I thought that was a given! /wink

-Dredblade
Dredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 04:09 PM   #33
Lurikeen
Freaky

I have the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro on an XP Professional box and it works flawlessly.

I had to uninstall the nVidia drivers first, shut down, remove nVidia card.... you know the rest. Once I installed the Catalyst drivers on the CD that came with the card I then installed the latest version of the driver.

I haven't had a problem and the card is far faster than the GF4 Ti 4400 I had.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:02 AM   #34
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

I'll say this again, and not because I work there.

Dell is great. Great product, great service, great value.

They work hard to be the best and they take it seriously. When I was doing portables support, it's hard to imagine the hoops we sometimes went through to make customer's happy. Inluding, sometimes replacing systems or hardware that we "knew" were working fine, just for customer satisfaction.

"See...told you it wasn't the motherboard, but hey, we replaced it!"

As for the guy with the website, all the whiney bitch needs to do is fax a copy of his order details to Palm. Despite being "free" gifts, they are still listed on the order and the packing slip.

Arnwolf
Arnwolf Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:32 AM   #35
Kerryn

Before you call my a whiny bitch Arn read the site.

Palm were great, they were going to pick the handheld from me and drop me off a new and upgraded one.

All I had to do was give them the purchase order which Dell haven't sent yet.

So let me recap for you :

Palm good, Dell crap...thank you.

On Friday I got my first response from them and only because I sent them the link to that site.

Whiny? maybe

getting a response? Finally.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:40 PM   #36
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

I've read your whole website now. I honestly thought it ended at the first page when I read it last time (you might want to add a "next" link to the bottom of the page).

You do have a legitimate complaint, but I think it's a complaint you can get resolved easily if you take some initiative.

As for your palm ordering information...just go to http://premiersupport.dell.com create a log-in, use your customer number or order number and look it up yourself. It's under Customer Care, order status, past orders.

Here's the info for my palm from 18 months ago...which I also received for free...took me 3 minutes to get this from the website.

Order Number: 63073XXXX
PALM M100DELL 2MB PDA W/-HOTSYNC CABLE A

Order Information
Online Order
Order Date: 8/15/2001
Customer Number: 1652XXXX
Order Group Quantity Item Description
2 1 939626-4 PALM M100DELL 2MB PDA W/-HOTSYNC CABLE A

As for getting information or complaints handled from a large company...don't rely on email, faxes or letters. Just call them.

I mean come on, you are trying to low ball them on 2 cheap computers and you want them to tapdance with you at the same time. Just get in there face on the phone and say, "Give me the information I want now, or I am taking my business elsewhere."

It might take you an hour on the phone, but you will get a satisfactory answer, guaranteed.

Arnwolf Magnuson
Old 02-17-2003, 05:44 PM   #37
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

Before you call my a whiny bitch Arn read the site.
P.S. I apologize for calling you a whiny bitch. Heh, I never read your first post that closely and thought you were posting someone elses website...which is why I refer to "the guy with the website" instead of you.

Sorry about that.

Arnwolf
Old 02-18-2003, 02:10 AM   #38
Kerryn

Thats the problem Arn..Dell don't have a complaints department you can contact by phone.

I've spoken to Customer services who blatantly refuse to deal with complaints because "thats not our department"
Old 02-18-2003, 07:35 AM   #39
Kerryn

Funny thing I see on my site is an entry into the guestbook which reads

"Dude, you're getting a Cell!"

Thought that was a well thought out connotation.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:51 AM   #40
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

Dell don't have a complaints department you can contact by phone.
Nah, they are just trying to shirk responsibility to defuse the situation. Whichever department you had the problem with...that's your complain department.

Customer care is mostly for information...so you'd want to complain to sales.

Just call them...provide your customer number...a brief history of the situation...and ask for a supervisor.

Explain briefly, but with sufficient detail to make it clear, exactly what has transpired and the problems you have had. Explain that you are very upset, would very much like to continue your business relationship with Dell, but have lost a measure of confidence in Dell's ability to do business with you.

Remain polite, but insistent that something be done to rectify this, right now, on the phone, not later in an email. Explain how upset you are that Dell was not able to provide order or invoice information for the Palm before it went out of warranty, thereby making it nearly useless now.

I bet if you stick to your guns and remain polite, but insistent, you'll walk out with thorough apologies, good deals and a Dell Axim handheld to replace your Palm.

I could be wrong...but I bet I'm not.

Arnwolf
Old 02-19-2003, 04:43 PM   #41
Vespay

Store bought computers are crap, after I've built my own I know I will never step foot into another store to even think about buying one.

They're so picky for one. Example, many store bought computers give you hell when you try to add new hardware to it. Plus building your own costs so much less, if you find the right places for the good prices

Also you don't have to go through the headache of trying to contact the company that the computer was built by because something breaks or goes wrong.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:56 PM   #42
Meleniad

Send a message via Yahoo to Meleniad
Dude, you're going to jail!!

Dude, you dropped the soap!
Dude, what the.....ACK!!!!!!:eek:

I just had to say that!!!!!
Meleniad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:10 AM   #43
Dredblade

pricewatch.com ownes!

Best deals on computer components hands down.

-Dredblade
Dredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:54 AM   #44
Kerryn

Not when you consider this is a thread which clearly talks about computers in the UK and pricewatch don't exist over here.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:19 AM   #45
Kerryn

As of 14:15pm 28/2/2003 Dell have now sent out a Palm M130 in replacement for the one sent back 2 months ago.

Not quite the Dell Axim you suggested Arn but nevertheless an upgrade. Hours spent on getting it back : Too many to count.

I'm very much reminded of Faith No More's 'A Small Victory'
Old 02-28-2003, 06:53 AM   #46
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

They should have sent you a 7 foot high crucifix for you to climb up on too.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:12 AM   #47
kalrie
Priestess of Pie

Send a message via AIM to kalrie Send a message via Yahoo to kalrie
I'll take the site down the moment my equipment arrives.
As of 14:15pm 28/2/2003 Dell have now sent out a Palm M130 in replacement for the one sent back 2 months ago.
kalrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:45 AM   #48
Kerryn

Yes Kalrie. They've sent it out.

When it arrives I'll remove the site.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:05 AM   #49
kalrie
Priestess of Pie

Send a message via AIM to kalrie Send a message via Yahoo to kalrie
just checking glad you got your resolution, however delayed.
kalrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:24 AM   #50
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

Every company will have the misfortune of employing a few morons. Meaning that you might someday have to do business with one of these morons.

This becomes more complicated when "moron a" is replaced in the conversation by "moron b", which is rare, but as Kerryn can attest, it happens.

The nice thing about working with a company like Dell is that if you are just insistent and polite about pushing aside the morons, you'll eventually get to someone who can makes things happen.

Arnwolf Magnuson