Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

Default Doing something exotic

I was a bit mystified why, for the past few days, CNN has spent about 20% of it's time talking about how no one knows where Gov Sanford is. Well, apparently they were on to something - looks like he spent Father's Day weekend doing something (or rather, someone) exotic. Somehow, I don't think he's going to feel as recharged as he was hoping for.

http://www.thestate.com/154/story/838823.html

Sanford said he had not been hiking along the Appalachian Trail, as his staff said in a Tuesday statement to the media.

Sanford admitted later Wednesday that his secret trip to Argentina over Father's Day weekend was to visit a woman he is having an affair with.

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford enters the State House to explain his six-day absence and extra-marital affair to members of the news media.

Mark Sanford left the Governor's Mansion in this black State Law Enforcement Division Suburban assigned to his security detail. The Suburban remained parked Wednesday morning at Columbia Metropolitan Airport.

Sanford's whereabouts had been unknown since Thursday, and the mystery surrounding his absence fueled speculation about where he had been and who's in charge in his absence. His emergence Wednesday ended the mystery.

Sanford, in a brief interview with The State in the nation's busiest airport, said he decided at the last minute to go to the South American country to recharge after a difficult legislative session in which he battled with lawmakers over how to spend federal stimulus money
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
bumbleroot

Whereas I don't think others should have resigned for having an affair, I do think Sanford ought to resign, ut not for having an affair. He abandoned his post as governor and nobody knew where he was while he was in a foreign country. Had there been a major disaster in South Carolina, like an earthquake, the state had nobody in charge nor did anyone know how to find him.
If he does not take the responsibility to be a governor, he ought to not be governor. If he believes he can put himself and his personal feelings above the needs of his state he ought to not be governor. He failed at that. Who is to say he would not do it again.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Drysdale
RSS Feed

I'm so going to quote your sorry ass everytime a Democrat pulls some sort of shennanigans. I promise I'll rub your nose in this repeatedly, becasue you're not really worried about how he behaved. All you care about is the (R) by his name, you lackluster media whore.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by FafnerMorell View Post
Sanford, in a brief interview with The State in the nation's busiest airport, said he decided at the last minute to go to the South American country to recharge after a difficult legislative session in which he battled with lawmakers over how to spend federal stimulus money
He was stimulated by the stimulus money. I wonder how much "stimulus" money he spent to relax with his mistress in Argentina?
Originally Posted by bumbleroot View Post
Whereas I don't think others should have resigned for having an affair, I do think Sanford ought to resign, ut not for having an affair. He abandoned his post as governor and nobody knew where he was while he was in a foreign country. Had there been a major disaster in South Carolina, like an earthquake, the state had nobody in charge nor did anyone know how to find him.
If he does not take the responsibility to be a governor, he ought to not be governor. If he believes he can put himself and his personal feelings above the needs of his state he ought to not be governor. He failed at that. Who is to say he would not do it again.
I am not surprised by your remark. You can't seem to grasp the idea that his having an affair affects his ability to govern his state. If a man can deceive his wife, family, and staff members so he can secretly rendezvous with a lover, that alone speaks volumes about his lack of character and lack of integrity. If he can't be responsibly married, then how in the world can he responsibly execute his duties as governor? Not to mention the complete lapse of reasoning involved in thinking he would never get caught.

However, I do agree with you that he "abandoned his post." How many other times did he "abandon" his post while having his secret affair?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Drysdale
RSS Feed

I guess he should have just gotten a hummer in the Governor's office and used a cigar, then Bubbles would have been all for it, right?

Edit: By the way, I think he should resign, but then, I thought Clinton and Gingrich should have as well. I'm just positive that the (R) is all Bubbles sees. He has no principles whatsoever and would be screaming his backing of Sanford at the top of his lungs if that (R) were a (D).
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 06-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Too Funny!
Moderately Unsafe for Work.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
FafnerMorell

Well, given Bumble's limitations, it's probably a bit much to expect reasoning more advanced than distinguishing between two letters.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
FafnerMorell

Apparently Bumbles has a lost twin who also works in the media, just for the other side.
(SFW)
Old 06-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
InTenSity

When the conservative party stops running on Family Values to get votes maybe people won't see them as being as hypocritical. When the republican party ever thinks about getting out of the bedroom I will start looking at them more seriously as a party.
InTenSity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
bumbleroot

I'm so going to quote your sorry ass everytime a Democrat pulls some sort of shennanigans.
Here I'll do it for you....
From this thread
http://www.erollisimarr.com/forum/sh...hlight=Edwards

A- I have no respect for Edwards, his wife was going through cancer and he did this on top of it.
B- Edwards gets whatever he deserves

or this

What Edwards did was despicable. It will and should ruin him. I feel greatly for his wife and his kids. I despise him for it.

Or try from this post
http://www.erollisimarr.com/forum/sh...hlight=spitzer

Actually, I think Spitzer ought to go now. I think there is a difference for Senators doing this as opposed to Governors doing this. A Senator is not a Chief Executive, therefore his actions don't necessarily have to stand out for his entire government, a governor's actions do. If a governor loses face to his state's employees, his credibility is gone and therefore he is a lame duck. Hence, he/she should resign.
and this
Its not about the sex, its about the crime. Spitzer solicited a prostitute. Having an affair shouldn't be grounds for someone losing their job, even a chief executive.

The problem is DD, the Reps are doing a hell of a lot more of this, at least they are being caught more. But shit, going AWOL is pretty stupid if you ask me and you ought to expect to be caught. The second I heard he was missing, this result went through my mind.
Now DD, when are you going to start asking the Reps to stand up for their indiscretions? Instead you attack the libs for attacking Reps for being hypocrites. Stop being an apologist. Each one that does this shit is a scumbag. It doesn't matter what party they are in. Vitter, Craig, Sanford, Ensign, Foley, Clinton, Edwards, Spitzer etc. They all are shitty people. Party doesn't matter.

Last edited by bumbleroot; 06-24-2009 at 05:11 PM.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
bumbleroot

When the conservative party stops running on Family Values to get votes maybe people won't see them as being as hypocritical. When the republican party ever thinks about getting out of the bedroom I will start looking at them more seriously as a party.
And therein lies the great dilemma. A large portion of their base is committed to these ideals primarily. They give in on these ideals and they lose their base and its kind of tough when they would have to start up from the ground again.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Axgar

Send a message via Yahoo to Axgar
Originally Posted by bumbleroot View Post
And therein lies the great dilemma. A large portion of their base is committed to these ideals primarily. They give in on these ideals and they lose their base and its kind of tough when they would have to start up from the ground again.

Dont mean shit, next thing you know Republicans will be switching parties after the election........oh wait nevermind.

The simple fact of the matter is the Republican party or moreso conservatives in general should say fuck you to every politician involved in the party right now and start all over, they would be leaps and bounds ahead of everyone from the get go, none of the "politicians" I see right now are trustworthy.

By the way Bumbles wouldn't abandoning your party be abandoning your post also? just wondering your stance on that, I mean tell people one thing to get elected then totally switch parties, makes you wonder how well he would have served with McCain while a prisoner of war.
Axgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
bumbleroot

The simple fact of the matter is the Republican party or moreso conservatives in general should say fuck you to every politician involved in the party right now and start all over
That would surely garner more votes than they have now.
By the way Bumbles wouldn't abandoning your party be abandoning your post also? just wondering your stance on that, I mean tell people one thing to get elected then totally switch parties, makes you wonder how well he would have served with McCain while a prisoner of war.
What the fuck are you talking about? Where have I mentioned switching parties or dropping out of a party?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Bumbles 1
Drysdale 0

I'm always amazed that these guys (politicians specifically, though anyone in the public's eye really) think they can pull stunts like this off. I know SC is a bit of a backwater, but people do notice when the governor goes missing. What led him to believe this could possibly go well?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
Drysdale
RSS Feed

And yet...

You defended Clinton to the hilt.

Funny, neh?
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And yet...

You defended Clinton to the hilt.

Funny, neh?
Who did? Given that this forum didn't exist until after he was well out of office, I'm not sure we've ever spent much time at all on Cigargate. While people have argued at various times that the Clinton situation was handled poorly by just about all involved, I'm not sure anyone's attaboy'd him for the affair (other than in the course of beating up on Hilary) on these boards. As usual, your aim is a little off. Funny for someone so in love with firearms...

Personally, I could give a crap (in terms of wanting someone to resign or be impeached) about who a politician diddles until such time as it affects his ability to perform the job or actually breaks a law. The Sanford case is clearly a case of the former- you just can't go AWOL. Clinton got in trouble, officially, for lying, but we all know it was a moral witchhunt by a GOP legislature drunk with power and looking for a major trophy. I've never heard a valid argument that his indiscretions with various unattractive women affected his performance as president. That's one of the many reasons the shaddenfreude ramps up so much when it's a GOP pol getting caught with his pants down. For all of the party's puritanical finger-wagging family values preachiness, they really don't seem to behave any better than the Bill Clintons or John Edwards of the world.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #17
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
Personally, I could give a crap (in terms of wanting someone to resign or be impeached) about who a politician diddles until such time as it affects his ability to perform the job or actually breaks a law.
I suppose deceiving your wife and children while screwing another woman, and the lapse of judgement in thinking you wouldn't get caught, could be considered virtues for a politician. Never mind the distractions from performing his duties such actions and choices cause, too. We can just say he is multitasking... yeah, that's it.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #18
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Did you miss the part about "until such time as it affects his ability to perform the job or actually breaks a law?" I mean, you quoted it, but it seems you didn't read it.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #19
Lurikeen
Freaky

Nope, I didn't miss it. In fact, I even read "until" which precedes "such a time...." Your sentence implies that Stanford's affair—itself—does not affect his ability to perform his job. But, if I have misunderstood and you think his "diddling" does affect his job, then please accept my apology.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Lurikeen View Post
Nope, I didn't miss it. In fact, I even read "until" which precedes "such a time...." Your sentence implies that Stanford's affair—itself—does not affect his ability to perform his job. But, if I have misunderstood and you think his "diddling" does affect his job, then please accept my apology.
Originally Posted by me, emphasis added
Personally, I could give a crap (in terms of wanting someone to resign or be impeached) about who a politician diddles until such time as it affects his ability to perform the job or actually breaks a law. The Sanford case is clearly a case of the former- you just can't go AWOL.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #21
Lurikeen
Freaky

Hmmm... maybe you don't understand the point, Horm. So let me try to clarify it and see if we agree or not. Even if Sanford hadn't taken a trip to Argentina, i.e. "going AWOL", and he was "diddling" his lover at the Hotel 69 around the corner from his house with his phone on vibrate so anyone could still reach him; he would still have demonstrated an incredible lapse of judgement which does affect his ability to do his job. Do you agree?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
Who did?
I seem to recall some relatively heated debates betweed Bubbles and Beal.

Edit: OK, I can solve this:

Bubbles: Do you want to go on record as saying that Clinton should have been removed from office?
-Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by Drysdale; 06-25-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
GraemeFaelban

Send a message via AIM to GraemeFaelban
Originally Posted by Lurikeen View Post
Hmmm... maybe you don't understand the point, Horm. So let me try to clarify it and see if we agree or not. Even if Sanford hadn't taken a trip to Argentina, i.e. "going AWOL", and he was "diddling" his lover at the Hotel 69 around the corner from his house with his phone on vibrate so anyone could still reach him; he would still have demonstrated an incredible lapse of judgement which does affect his ability to do his job. Do you agree?
He's a politician, that kind of lapse in judgement is expected. Sadly, I am only half joking when I say that.

For the record, I think he should resign, mostly because he called on others who had the same lapse of judgement to resign. But then, like most politicians, he's a hypocrite.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #24
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by GraemeFaelban View Post
For the record, I think he should resign, mostly because he called on others who had the same lapse of judgement to resign. But then, like most politicians, he's a hypocrite.
I agree. He should resign. I think he should resign because of the affair itself. His going AWOL simply demonstrated the lengths he was willing to go to continue in his adultery.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #25
FafnerMorell

The problem is, if folks really want honest politicians, they need to vote for honest people, instead of the bullshitters who tell them what they want to hear.

As a side note, I'd really love for a cheating politician to say "I'd apologize to my wife, but that frigid bitch had it coming, and if it wasn't for the mansion and clothing budget she'd have left long ago. As for the kids, as long as they've got an XBox-360 and PS/3, they couldn't give a rats ass."

As another side note, no one really seemed to cae about Gov Paterson admitting to having multiple affairs, but I wonder if that's because folks were impressed he could arrange all that stuff while blind. For all he'd know, there could be a camera crew in the hotel room showing it live on Fox/CNN.