Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
Dalamarn Darkgem

Default Bill Gates can suck my left nut and make the right one jealous!

Today my long awaited package comes in the mail. I pop the case on my machine and gently remove the measly 256 meg of SDRAM I have in it. Replacing it with 2 sticks of 512 meg PC2700 DDR, I get excited and cant wait to see my machine screaming with a gig of DDR in it.

So I seat the chips well and turn on my computer. BAM, it pops up saying I have a gig of RAM.. everything is going smoothly and the POST is flying by at record speed. My Windows screen starts to load and BAM.. my computer starts screaming like a damn deranged alarm clock. I pop the case again and remove one stick. It boots just fine with one 512 meg stick in it. I remove it and insert the other. It boots just fine. FUCK you VCACHE. I dont give a damn about your reserved memory addesses. FUCK YOU B.G. for still having this limit on Win98 SE.

I'm going to try some workarounds, but I'm still pissed. I was excited as hell about seeing EQ running with ALL new models for the first time. SIGH. I know I can turn them on with 512 but it wont be the same. Hopefully the damn workarounds will work. Anyone had good luck with specific workarounds when having Win98 SE and a gig of RAM? I found some possible help at http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win9..._512memory.htm

Any advice would be appreciated.
Dalamarn Darkgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:07 PM   #2
cnjmorris

I have seen people with the same problems you mention, might want to check this link:

http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/P...p?siteID=10798
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

Dalamarn, Windows 95, 98 and 98 SE will not support over 512 megs of ram. Even if you can coax Win98 SE to report you have over 512 your OS will not utilize the RAM.

My advice is too upgrade to XP Pro.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:29 PM   #4
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
In my experience, XP is the only OS that efficiently utilizes 1Gig of ram...I'm running 768MB PC2100 DDR myself on XP Pro with no problems
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:44 PM   #5
GuinessRecords

Friday 2/28/2003 2:42 AM EST

It has been brought to our attention that Lurikeen and Camien both agreed with cnjmorris at this time on this day.

Records has been verified and now stands.

Yeah yeah... no annonymous posts, but it's 2:44 AM and I found it funny.
GuinessRecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:23 AM   #6
Dalamarn Darkgem

My copy of XP pro doesn't want to install smoothly for some reason. What about Windows 2000 Pro? Any word on it?
Old 02-28-2003, 12:37 AM   #7
Sakkath

Windows 2000 works just great, some (myself included) would say it runs better. It has less graphical animations for general day-to-day use so uses less resources.
I could also start going on about the spyware built into XP, but that argument has been had before. If you do decide on XP though, get the Pro edition, not the Home one.
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:22 AM   #8
Vespay

Installing either winxp or winxp pro would be a good idea ... of course if your computer is store bought, toss it right now and build one They're much better (of course I tell everyone this, hehe) and there is no limit as to what you can put into the precious.

/Jedi mind trick - toss old computer, build new.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:33 AM   #9
Dalamarn Darkgem

Nope, I built it myself. I went to put XP Pro on it.. but it had issues with it. I'm thinking about getting another harddrive to try a fresh install of XP on (I dont want to risk losing 4 years packratted BS). I did more research and Lurikeen was right, even if I get it to load Windows 98SE, it's not going to utilize that extra 512 Meg. I was hoping for an easy way out, but it looks like a new OS will have to be my answer. If I cant get my XP Pro to install, I'll try Win2K.

Thanks for the advice, any additions are still welcome.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:54 AM   #10
Zarney

I am highly doubting Bill Gates will suck your nuts, maybe Camien would though...

If your torn from something unjustly... something that you loved, and gave your heart to.... then what is left ?? ~ Zarney
Zarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:27 AM   #11
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
Oh nos! I have a stalker!

Really, man, you alluding to the fact I'm gay really hurts me...oh wait, no..it doesn't. Grow the fuck up.
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:42 AM   #12
Toxx

Someone donate me some RD-ram, until I can afford a new motherboard. This shit is the biggest rip off ever.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:47 AM   #13
Ojuillean

Upgrading OS's is a horrible idea. It creates 10x more problems than it solves. My suggestion is to suck it up - back up what you can and do a FRESH install of WinXP Pro.

Also - another suggestion - boot to your WinXP cd and have WinXP set up 2 or 3 partitions - make one "C" partition of about 10gigs - then split up the remainder of your hard drive between 1 or 2 other partitions (D & E). Install windows to the C drive as normal - and use the D and/or E for your backups and games and stuff - now in the future if you ever want to reinstall windows - all you will lose is the C drive stuff (typically just windows now) - you may still have to reinstall a few things from your D drive in order to get the proper registry settings (EQ is NOT one of those - just make a shortcut and EQ will continue to run fine if it's on your D drive - even after a new install of windows).
Old 02-28-2003, 07:58 AM   #14
SrethJivUndus

Ojuillean is my hero

/sigh

SrethJivUndus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:05 AM   #15
Gurglespit

Send a message via Yahoo to Gurglespit
Bill Gates is mine..
Old 02-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #16
darue_ivywood

Dal, I didnt read all posts, so forgive me if it was mentioned.

I had a problem installing XP Pro as well, the install would lock up and wouldnt continue no matter how many times I tried.

After troubleshooting it for a bit (damn, I hate to have to trouble shoot an install..such a PITA)

I found it was my USB Intelli Mouse.

Unplugged Mouse from USB Port, let the install finish, went through the normal crap of setting up PC (all the time zone questions, keyboard, etc etc.) rebooted, plugged Mouse back into USB and VOILA!

Dont know if its the same problem you are experiencing, but figured I would post anyway.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:06 PM   #17
Razer Zedge

Send a message via AIM to Razer Zedge Send a message via Yahoo to Razer Zedge
on my dads machine, whenever I tried to install xp, it froze at the "setup is starting windows" part. I finally figure out it was the GeForce2 mx200 in that machine. I thought it was a harddrive issue, cause it happened in the same machine I put a certain harddrive in, also happened to a friend when I lent him the harddrive, but I forgot that I also lent him the video card when he was having the problem.

I stuck in my own video card into the machine and it installed fine.