Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
InTenSity

Default No more looking at news for me

I've been banned from CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Huffington and drudge. I'm actually going to actively look for a job again lol. I've even been banned from google and bing. My job entails talking to people all over the US, and buying tomatoes on a huge scale. Apparently being up to date on what is going on, or hell even knowing what the weather is like in growing area's is something I now have to do in my personal time. Well fuck that, I'm going to know as little about current events as possible now.

Anyone who works in IT or with Websense, let me know WTF they are looking for. Now I also have to justify why I need to look at my bank accounts when we have to pay upfront for trips. Or I have to justify why I want to look at a local news coverage of the water shortages in California.

Anyone hiring, I'm ready to just walk away, this is going to waste more of my time at work than before they cut me off.

/rant off
InTenSity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Sorry dude.

At least you haven't been banned from the DSS feed!

Or, Fight the Man!

http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=11118

Note: May get you written up for fired...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North

Last edited by Drysdale; 06-29-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
InTenSity

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Sorry dude.

At least you haven't been banned from the DSS feed!

Or, Fight the Man!

http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=11118

Note: May get you written up for fired...
Lol thanks for the links. Guy I work with got a call from IT when he went to a proxy server and they threatened his job. Ironically enough, for as free as the US is, corporate America is very controlling.

BTW Drys, not sure if you have HBO, but I just watched a documentary about Free Speech called Shouting Fire/Free Speech. Very interesting, you should check it out. Even defends the kid in California that was kicked out of school for wearing an anti-gay t-shirt.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
AjTaliesen

You buy tomatoes. I don't know why thats funny to me.

It sounds like honest work. A decent job that (aside from inane things your boss is asking of you) requires knowledge of allot of things most people are ignorant of and excellent people skills.

It just sounds funny. I'm really not making fun of you, I just think its a funny thing to get to say "I buy tomatoes"

Maybe its only funny because there's different ways you can pronounce tomato.

As for walking away, from an outside point of view, it seems like if you have the skills for supply on that scale for one product, I wouldn't think it would be a huge learning curve to have the same skills for a different product. Knowledge of the product being secondary to knowing how to deal with people and the ability to keep track of the numbers.
AjTaliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Originally Posted by AjTaliesen View Post
Maybe its only funny because there's different ways you can pronounce tomato.
You say, "tomato," I say, "boob."
Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
solicia

Well that sucks, they are very close minded. They trust you spending money but not on the internet. They are more than likely looking at the header, and the agent in the packets. I think Websense uses Yahoo's black list as well as a custom block list, a friend uses it, our gateways are running Ubuntu. You can try scroogle.org (not .com use .org) for searching. We do log all internet traffic but don't limit it at all, it's a simple trust issue. More than likely another employee did something stupid and your being caught in a blanket policy. I would simply write down why you need the information, and the possible issues if you cannot have access to that information. Then give that to your manager, it can't hurt and maybe will help.
solicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

It sucks, but it's the company's resource, not yours. Where I think this changes is for those of us who work nearly as many hours from home as in the office. If they expect me to take phone calls or emails in the middle of Saturday, they sure better expect me to pay the occassional bill online in the middle of a Tuesday. Once that line between work and home gets blurred both sides need to play ball, within reason. If you're spending 50% of your day surfing the internet that's obviously different.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
SupportTank

try cuil

http://www.cuil.com/

see if thats blocked.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
InTenSity

Well a few funny things, I like all the suggestions.

1) About buying tomatoes, actually it is funny to tell people that, more people will ask about that then if I said I'm a doctor, it is just one of those things that no one thinks about. BTW Wal-Mart is running a $1 a pound sale on slicers this week. Oh and that is just field grown stuff, there are too many varieties to get into and fortunately I get to not pay as much attention to hothouse grown tomatoes. My boss isn't the one being assanine, it is the IT department, and hte guy is a prick, there is no consistency.

2) Hormadrune - It may be company resources, but it is BS to cut me off from Google and Bing, and CNN and other sites, while everyone around me is using them just as much. For the most part I need something to distract me while I sit on hold for 5 minutes. Plus, again, no consistency, just one guy deciding what he wants to enforce and when he wants to enforce it. I think he was upset at me for complaining about being blocked from seeing pictures in an e-mail and I said because of that I made a $10,000 error and had them shipped instead of holding the truck an extra day.

3) Back to Horm - I told my boss that if they are going to be that strict I am going to have to either start charging for when I have to use MY computer and MY internet late at night to cover work calls, he said we should wait to see what HR says first. My boss is on my side though, and he thinks it is stupid. BTW all the stories and news about the gang wars in Mexico...actually needed to have some info about that as one of the cartels is the Siniloa cartel, which is also where 90% of the tomatoes grown in Mexico come from during January through May. But I guess according to the IT guy a buyer really doesn't need to be concerned whether or not that may affect crossing times, due to more roadblocks, or if I need to look to different area's to cover a DC. I have saved this company, in the last 6 months, well over $100k, I'm sure me keeping up with current events could be justified by my shitty salary during that time.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Drysdale
RSS Feed

If you have a CIO, go to him/her. If not, go to the CEO with a business justification. Make the IT guy look like an ass. It doesn't sound like it'd be too hard.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 06-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
InTenSity

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
If you have a CIO, go to him/her. If not, go to the CEO with a business justification. Make the IT guy look like an ass. It doesn't sound like it'd be too hard.
I'll look into the CIO, although I haven't seen that title inparticularly, but the guy who is being hte ass, is a VP. My CEO is Hani El'Naffy, google him. I work in the same building as him and been there for almost 2 years, I have seen him three times. Its hilarious actually, when he walks around, which is rare, it seems to more be to see what the Peon's are doing.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by InTenSity
It may be company resources, but it is BS to cut me off from Google and Bing, and CNN and other sites, while everyone around me is using them just as much.
If you have a legitmate reason to visit those sites, I can't imagine why they wouldn't give you access to those. If they are indeed using WebSense, it's not that hard to fix you up. But frankly, what everyone around you is doing isn't any of your business. If that's what you intend to use as your justification, you should really think again. You won't get what you want. The only thing you'll be successful in is getting it cut for everyone around you.
I'll look into the CIO, although I haven't seen that title inparticularly, but the guy who is being hte ass, is a VP.
If you have no CIO, chances are, the VP is going to be the top guy in IT for your company.

Of course, there is a simple solution: go into IT. I got around WebSense when we used that, I get around OpenDNS now. Users can't do that. Well, they can do the latter if they know how.

EDIT: Actually, you'd have to have administrative rights to the computer in order to do the latter, so nevermind.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Wildane; 07-07-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
InTenSity

I don't think it is relevant that I can go to E-Trade, but I'm still not blocked from that. I'm cut off from the news, from the weather, from being able to google, which saves a lot of time. I'm cut off from sites that my boss has linked on an internal web page. I'm not planning on saying what people around me can access, I'm just more upset that there is really no protocol when shutting someone down more or less. Why wasn't my boss consulted or even asked if I should be on the internet or doing whatever it was I was doing so much? This guy just takes it upon himself to block people. This weekend I needed to access a program remotely, and I was unable to because they deemed that site to be off limits. My VP today asked when I was getting my access back, I said when my boss got back, but even he thinks it is ridiculous. I think that is ultimately what will get me back the access to the news. My job is to be on the phone all day talking to people, when I'm on hold for 5 or 10 minutes, I'm going to surf the web, when there is some down time I'm going to also. These idiots never took the games off any of the computers and I will ultimately end up using more time finding ways around this than if they just gave me access.

BTW how does peacefire.org work, or does it work? Thinking worst case scenario I'll give that a shot.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Wildane

I'm cut off from sites that my boss has linked on an internal web page.
Every time your boss sends you something you can't get to, sent a reply stating that you are blocked from viewing that resource. Keep doing that until your boss talks to the IT guy or tells you he can't do anything about it.
This guy just takes it upon himself to block people.
That's his job. I seriously doubt it's anything personal, so shouldn't be taken as such.
My job is to be on the phone all day talking to people, when I'm on hold for 5 or 10 minutes, I'm going to surf the web, when there is some down time I'm going to also.
Then, technically, surfing the web isn't part of your job.
These idiots never took the games off any of the computers and I will ultimately end up using more time finding ways around this than if they just gave me access.
So, your defense is that, if they don't give you access to what isn't part of your job, you're going to waste even more of your work time?
BTW how does peacefire.org work, or does it work? Thinking worst case scenario I'll give that a shot.
It's a web proxy which will basically bypass any filter unless it's blocked specifically. I know the kids in the district use them all the time, but they are usually ad-laden with links to questionable web sites. In my opinion, proxies are just another avenue with which they can slip in whatever malware they code into their site. I mean, if surfing the web is so important to you that you would jeopardize the security of your network, that's between you and them, but some companies tend to frown upon such activity.

Dude, just get an iPhone and browse to your hearts content.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
InTenSity

i have an lg dare for surfing sites like this. i cant spemd all day asking for sites to be unblocked. i am blocked from trade sites and shippers sites. this weekend i was blocked from using a program remotely that i should never be blocked from. this guy writes and enforces his own rules with little oversight.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Drysdale
RSS Feed

You need to go over his head. Period.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Wildane

i cant spemd all day asking for sites to be unblocked
Yet you seem to have so much time on your hands that you can peruse the news sites and go Googling.
this weekend i was blocked from using a program remotely that i should never be blocked from.
Well, if you don't request stuff to be unblocked, how is dude supposed to know it shouldn't be blocked? He could have set up a policy to look for certain types of activity, and the remote access of your program was an unforseen misfortune.

I know that when we started blocking sites by categories, news sites were listed under entertainment. We didn't know this was the case until someone told us about it. He might be ignorant to the fact that those things are blocked. The worst way to run a filter is to try and blacklist specific sites; it is a never-ending battle which can never be won. The guy is most likely using builtin categories, and these news sites fall into one of those.

The only thing you can assume is that, if you don't tell him, he doesn't know. But, if you aren't going to take steps to improve your situation, quit whining about it.

Last edited by Wildane; 07-07-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
Michael Cumberlan

Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
Well, if you don't request stuff to be unblocked, how is dude supposed to know it shouldn't be blocked?
Interesting ... I have been in the IT business a LONG time, and that attitude seems way too prevalent. IT is SUPPOSED to be a SERVICE, not a priviledge. Yes, our job is to monitor those resources and try and prevent abuse, but this sounds like Cartman - RESPEKT MY AUTHORITIE !!

If the guy was REALLY trying to do his job right, he would have put the monitoring on WARN and then actually LOOKED at what was being proposed to be blocked before he did it. Once the web monkeys at my current place of business put a new web filter in place without fully testing it, and the stupid thing blocked us from our own corporate website ... becasue they were "just doing their job" and didn't really think about the consequences.

With this kind of stuff, I always have thought the motto should be "First do no harm."
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
Wildane

Originally Posted by Michael Cumberlan
IT is SUPPOSED to be a SERVICE, not a priviledge.
At the same time, IT is responsible for the integrity of the network. Sometimes the best way is to err on the side of caution. I would much rather inconvenience someone for a few minutes by unknowingly blocking a web site they need than by simply using a warning feature. If you are getting a warning about something trying to access your system, then some times it's too late. It takes a lot less time to whitelist necessary sites than blacklist the unnecessary ones. And, if you're in a company with over 30,000 users, and you're the only systems administrator they got, being smart with your time is key.
If the guy was REALLY trying to do his job right, he would have put the monitoring on WARN and then actually LOOKED at what was being proposed to be blocked before he did it.
Like I said, lots of places don't have the resources to pay a guy to do this full time, which is what it would be.

Personally, I would rather just spend the money on quality anti-virus protection than web filters. I say we put the blame where it really belongs: on the users. Everyone wants to yell at IT for their web filters instead of exercising a little personal fucking responsibility by not visiting questionable web sites from your WORKstation. This would negate the necessary evil which is a web filter. But no, people would rather blame IT for not being able to efficiently protect the users from themselves.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
Michael Cumberlan

But this case doesn't sound like a "network integrity" issue ... since websites are selectively being blocked only for certain users, seems reasonable to me that there is enough staff available to implement that kind of selectiveness. Of course, I am guessing based on the "facts" presented here; it really could be just bad luck ... but blocking GOOGLE??? C'mon now ...
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #21
Wildane

But this case doesn't sound like a "network integrity" issue
Well, perhaps not, I was just speaking about policies set up for implementing a web filter in general.
since websites are selectively being blocked only for certain users, seems reasonable to me that there is enough staff available to implement that kind of selectiveness
Well, if they are indeed using WebSense, if you want to set up someone to bypass the filter, all you have to do is disallow WebSense from working on certain subnets and then set up the user's VLAN appropriately. However, it's an all or nothing deal. You're either accessing the same filter as everyone else, or you aren't filtered at all. Having some people blocked from some sites and other people blocked from others would take a supreme effort and I'm not even sure it's possible using WebSense. You're right, though, if that is the case, they would certainly need to have the staff in place for implementation.
but blocking GOOGLE??? C'mon now ...
Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I can't speak for other careers, but as an IT professional, Google is one of my most-used troubleshooting tools.

Like I said, I'd rather see a tightening of security on the back end and not filtering web sites. I have no interest in being a nanny and REALLY have no interest in being held responsible if someone accesses a questionable web site when it's supposed to be blocked. Given the number of web proxies out there, blocking sites is ridiculous.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #22
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
I can't speak for other careers, but as an IT professional, Google is one of my most-used troubleshooting tools.
I'm pretty sure the same holds for any field. I know doctors are constantly on Google for research. I've been in the OR during operations. They have internet access on the computers that monitor surgery stats, and they use it for quick access to necessary information.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
InTenSity

Well I got internet back. I also got a stern warning. Even though he said in order to get my access back we would have to go to HR, he changed his mind. He also changed his mind on sending my boss a list of the sites that I was visiting. Again, I don't want access in order to surf this site or other MB's, although it would be nice, but I needed access to things like CNN, certain blogs, and maps.

BTW the guy who enforces the IT security code, is the one who wrote the IT security. Our Internet policy literally reads - For business purposes only. There is no definition of business purpose, so he gets to decide what is and isn't business purposes.

He has now also blocked some .pdf files because they might contain viruses. We now also have a quota time for Google maps and MS Earth. The quota time might not seem bad, but it makes the weather maps on weather underground and weather.com worthless, since we can't use them.

Back to surfing from home!!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #24
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by InTenSity View Post
Well I got internet back.
There's a mistake.