Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Default Use Candles!

Heh... I know that's not what he's saying...

... Yet!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...902499_pf.html
White House announces new lighting standards

By LIZ SIDOTI
The Associated Press
Monday, June 29, 2009 4:46 PM

WASHINGTON -- Aiming to keep the focus on climate change legislation, President Barack Obama put a plug in for administration efforts to make lamps and lighting equipment use less energy.

"I know light bulbs may not seem sexy, but this simple action holds enormous promise because 7 percent of all the energy consumed in America is used to light our homes and businesses," the president said, standing alongside Energy Secretary Steven Chu at the White House.

Obama said the new efficiency standards he was announcing for lamps would result in substantial savings between 2012 and 2042, saving consumers up to $4 billion annually, conserving enough energy to power every U.S. home for 10 months, reducing emissions equal to the amount produced by 166 million cars a year, and eliminating the need for as many as 14 coal-fired power plants.

The president also said he was speeding the delivery of $346 million in economic stimulus money to help improve energy efficiency in new and existing commercial buildings.

Republicans took issue with Obama's pitch.

"Conservation is only half the equation. Even as we use less energy, we need to produce more of our own," said Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. "We have to admit there's a gap between the clean, renewable fuel we want and the reliable energy we need."

The White House added the event to the president's schedule at the last minute, just three days after the House narrowly approved the first energy legislation designed to curb global warming following furious lobbying by White House advisers and personal pressure by the president himself.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Monday that in phone calls to reluctant Democrats in endangered districts, Obama "affirmed his commitment to support the policy position that they were taking in helping to explain to their constituents and to the American public the great benefit of this bill."

The measure's fate is less certain in the Senate, where Democrats lack the 60 votes needed to block a certain filibuster.

Still, in an interview with a small group of reporters, Obama energy adviser Carol Browner said: "I am confident that comprehensive energy legislation will pass the Senate." But she repeatedly refused to say exactly when the White House expected the Senate to pass the measure, and she wouldn't speculate on whether Obama would have legislation sent to his desk by year's end.

The White House is working to keep energy in the spotlight even as Congress takes a break this week for the July 4 holiday. Obama has spent the past few days pressuring the Senate to follow the House while also seeking to show that the administration is making quick, clear progress on energy reform without legislation.

In February, the president directed the Energy Department to update its energy conservation standards for everyday household appliances such as dishwashers, lamps and microwave ovens. Laws on the books already required new efficiency standards for household and commercial appliances. But they have been backlogged in a tangle of missed deadlines, bureaucratic disputes and litigation.

The administration already had released new standards on commercial refrigeration. Lamps were next.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
SupportTank

LED lamps are a good idea and use waaaaaaaaay less power then those florescent ones. not to mention. they contain no mercury.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
GraemeFaelban

Send a message via AIM to GraemeFaelban
Too bad the LED bulbs are still rather pricey compared to compact flourescent and incandescent. They are definitely the best choice for saving energy when electric lighting is needed. They last much longer than either of the other two as well.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Drysdale
RSS Feed

I'll actually probably move over to LEDs soon. But I hate to be forced into it by the nanny.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

I'm real interested in LED lighting as well. Florescents haven't worked out well for me, and if the LEDs are much more cost effective over the lifetime, the initial high cost is OK.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
SupportTank

there are several web sites that sell cheap LED's i bought some last month for like 3 dollars a fixture. had to have them shipped but still cheaper then a florescent.

Don't buy them in a store. right now they are sky high prices in stores.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
GraemeFaelban

I'll have to look around for them.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Drysdale
RSS Feed

http://www.superbrightleds.com/edison_globe.html
THIS IS OUR BRIGHTEST GLOBE TYPE BULB
10Watt Edison Base bulb with 7x1Watt LED
50/60Hz, 355 lumen - 110VAC
Available with Cool White Natural White Warm White LEDs
Light output comparable to 35~40 watt incandescent
Consumes just 10 Watts of power
Here's my problem... Is this typical? I'd prefer not to ruin my eyes with a 40 watt bulb equivalent.

With the CFs, I can get 75 watts equivalent for about 20 watts consumption. This gives me about half of that for about half, but damn that's dim!
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
GraemeFaelban

How much are you willing to pay for LED bulbs?

100W equivalent uses 13W. At their price, I'm pretty sure that CFLs are more cost efficient.

http://www.earthled.com/evolux-led-light-bulb.html

There are other similar ones out there, but all of them seem very pricey unless you want the low power ones.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
Drysdale
RSS Feed

OK, that's a little more like it.

The CF's I've seen put out about 75W for 20W drain. The LED you linked is supposed to put out 100W fo 13W drain. The cost is about $75 (But I'm sure that will drop quickly). A CF Bulb is about $7. The lifespan of the LED states 50K hours while the CF claims up to 15K hours.

So, I'll probably wait until my CF bulbs die, and replace them one by one with LEDs, unless and until they drop in price. No reason to rush. The savings in Wattage is significant, but not when compared to the savings from those old 100 watt bulbs I moved from a few years ago.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
Jelceie

Originally Posted by thearticle
eliminating the need for as many as 14 coal-fired power plants.
Democrats killing jobs through energy legislation?

lolwut?
//J.
Jelceie is offline   Reply With Quote