Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Trait Knowledge > Monk

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
Eldo

Default OoW AA's (Discuss!)

Monk:

Ability: Slippery Attacks
Description: This ability makes it more difficult for opponents to riposte your offhand attacks. Each rank increases the chance that your opponent will fail to riposte by 20%.
Cost per Level: 5

Ability: Shielding Resistance
Description: This ability decreases the amount of damage you take when your offhand attacks encounter a damage shield.

Ability: Imitate Death
Description: This ability allows the monk to execute a perfect feign death that causes every creature to forget about them immediately.
Cost per Level: 9

Ability: Crippling Strike
Description: This ability augments Eagle Strike with a chance to reduce the movement speed of the target. Ranks in this ability increase the potency and duration of the snare effect.
Cost per Level: 3

Ability: Stunning Kick
Description: This ability augments Round Kick with a chance to stun the target. Ranks in this ability increase the duration of the stun.

Ability: Eye Gouge
Description: This ability augments Tiger Claw with a chance to blind the target, reducing its ability to attack. Ranks in this ability increase the potency of the blinding.

Ability: Iron Kicks
Description: Each rank in this ability increases the damage done by your Flying Kicks.

Ability: Style of the Mimic
Description: By mimicking the movements of your opponent, you are better able to anticipate and bypass his defenses.

General

Ability: Eternal Breath
Description: This ability grants you the permanent ability to breath underwater and in airless environments.

Ability: Blacksmithing Mastery
Description: This ability reduces the chance of failing blacksmith combinations by 10, 25, and 50 percent.

Ability: Baking Mastery
Description: This ability reduces the chance of failing baking combinations by 10, 25, and 50 percent.

Ability: Brewing Mastery
Description: This ability reduces the chance of failing brewing combinations by 10, 25, and 50 percent.

Ability: Fletching Mastery
Description: This ability reduces the chance of failing fletching combinations by 10, 25, and 50 percent.

Ability: Pottery Mastery
Description: This ability reduces the chance of failing pottery combinations by 10, 25, and 50 percent.

Ability: Tailoring Mastery
Description: This ability reduces the chance of failing tailoring combinations by 10, 25, and 50 percent.

Ability: Salvage
Description: This ability gives you the chance to automatically recover an item that would otherwise be lost on a failed tradeskill combine.

Ability: Origin
Description: Upon using this ability, you will be transported back to a friendly city.
Cost per Level: 7

Ability: Chaotic Potential
Description: This ability raises the maximum that your statistics can be increased to with items and spells by 5 points per rank.

Ability: Discordant Defiance
Description: This ability raises the maximum that your resistances can increased to with items and spells by 5 points per rank.

Ability: Mystical Attuning
Description: This ability increases the number of mystical effects that can affect you at once by 1 per rank.

Ability: Delay Death
Description: This ability increases how far below zero your hit points can fall before you die by 100 hit points per rank. You will still fall unconscious when you reach zero hit points.

Ability: Healthy Aura
Description: This ability raises the maximum that your regeneration can be increased with items and spells by 5 points per rank.

Ability: Reflexive Mastery
Description: This ability further increases your chance of completely avoiding incoming melee damage.

Ability: Defensive Instincts
Description: This ability further increases your mitigation of incoming melee damage.

Pure Melee:

Ability: Veteran's Wrath
Description: This ability increases the damage you cause when you land a critical hit on a melee attack.

Ability: Deathblow
Description: This ability further increases the maximum level of NPCs affected by your Finishing Blow ability. The first rank of this ability works on NPCs below level 61, the second rank on NPCs below level 63, and the third rank on NPCs below level 65.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Irulan Dunedancer

The extra procs on kicks and strikes is an interesting idea, but seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth for people that have Technique of Wu, since that makes it possible for a snare/stun/atk debuff to happen when you don't want it to. Imitate Death seems like it may be a must-have, similar to rogue Escape or bard FM (or do bards get Escape as well?). The avoidance and mitigation AA's are probably going to be must-have as well.

The worth of the dual wield AA's kinda depends on whether or not you dual wield or go 2hb. I'd probably go for them, but I've already got 24 AA's invested in dual wielding, so may as well go all the way.

Still no base hp increasing AA's other than the original ones from Luclin, I see. Not really surprising, but still kinda annoying.
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
"Don't say I'm out of touch/ With this rampant chaos - your reality/ I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge/ The nightmare I built my own world to escape"
Irulan Dunedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
Sanori

Still no base hp increasing AA's other than the original ones from Luclin, I see.
Except that you'll be able to raise the cap on stats again (including STA, I'd assume), which will increase HP.

I was really hoping they'd add an AA that reduced the chance of failure on FD, with max skill, or raise the skill cap on it.

Guess now I'll have to go back, and raise Tiger Claw and Round Kick above (12). I'm supposing that when you don't want to risk those new effects proc'ing, you'd use the improved Flying Kick, similar to how we don't use Dragon Punch now, unless we want to reposition mobs.

Buttercup Danceswithsquirrels
>> Oasis server <<
Sanori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Eldo

Some quick notes on your concerns.

Bards have a Fade AA that costs 900 mana when used and is a 100% agro loss that is similiar to escape, but only puts them invis. (not SoS). There is a monk ability on test that is similiar to this that will cost us 1200 Endurace every time it is used. This will improve pulling tremendously, but like fade, it will need to be used sparingly. Bards can regen more mana per tick than we can endurance, but still very usefull.

As far as HP's go, you will gain a certain amount with every level increase and your sta. increase. Monks are not hurting for HP's at all imo, its only the mitagation that is killing us.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #5
Sabekaz Damunk

I like the idea of adding effects to the kicks and such. Might be neat but doesn't seem that any of those abilities will increase dps. Not that monks are hurting in the dps dept, I just think more is always nice. I think the imitate death is good idea though I don't think the high cost of it will make it too popular.
66 Monk - Retired
Sabekaz Damunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
Irulan Dunedancer

*shrug* I know hp goes up with level, but more is always better!

My big problem with Dragon Punch AA and its new counterparts is that if you have any points into Technique of Master Wu you run the risk of them going off when you don't want them to. It's a nice idea, I just think it's somewhat incompatible with Technique.
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
"Don't say I'm out of touch/ With this rampant chaos - your reality/ I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge/ The nightmare I built my own world to escape"
Old 09-10-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
ChoranizScalyfist

Ability: Origin
Description: Upon using this ability, you will be transported back to a friendly city.
Cost per Level: 7
I'm surprised no one has commented on this one - seems like a great ability, if only to save pp on gate potions. ;P

I'm looking forward to the avoidance AAs, Imitate Death could be useful too.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #8
Sanori

I think you may have missed my point. Technique of Master Wu just increases your chance of scoring a double or triple attack with your special attacks. So if you Dragon Punch, you may score 2 or even 3 knockbacks. If, however, you don't want to knockback the mob, use flying kick instead. Even with ToMW, you'll just score 2 or 3 flying kicks. As I understand it, Technique doesn't pick some random special attack to proc, regardless of the attack you use.

Buttercup Danceswithsquirrels
>> Oasis server <<
Sanori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:25 PM   #9
Isloor

The Dragon Punch knockback cannot trigger in the middle of a Wu's chain. That's been repeated a lot over the past years over on Monkly Busineess. The only way you can get the AA to fire in Wu's is to start a chain with Dragon Punch/Tail Rake. In this case if the strike is successful, the AA will fire but any subsequent Dragon Punches or Tail Rakes in the ensuing Wu chain will not result in knockback.
Isloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:23 AM   #10
Irulan Dunedancer

Actually, Technique *does* pick 1-2 random special attacks every time you use a special attack, and it runs the gamut from Kick all the way up to Flying Kick. Nice to know that you have to actually be using Dragon Punch as the first attack in a Wu's chain to have the AA go off though; concern about the interaction between DP and Wu was keeping me from taking DP (that and I have more generally useful things like Stonewall I still need to work on ).
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
Old 10-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
Quichon

My Two Cents:

Imitate Feign has a resue timer over one hour, however I guess if you absolutly positivly have to split the boss mob, it can come in handy.

Crippling strike/eye gouge/stunning kick... eye candy and nothing more. Possibly dangerous eye candy if you wind up gaining aggro. stuns and atk debufs are major aggro generators. Still, I suppose at the level you are going to be to get this, the main tank should bloody well have aggro locked, right?

Slippery attacks... what monk would be attacking the front of a mob when we can be attacking it from behind? I'm always going after the back of the mob if at all possible. Those few times where it is impossible are not worth the AA points to put into this thing. Also note it only reduces riposte rate for your off hand attacks. Meaning it won't work for half (or more, depending on AAs) of your attacks.

Shielding Resistance... would be worth it if it worked for every attack not just your off hand attacks. As is... meh, I got better things to do.

Style of the Mimics: one of the three potentially useful AAs we get. Bypassing defenses is more attacks landing is more DPS. More DPS is a good thing.

Iron Kicks: it's the other potentially useful AA. More damage is always a good thing, although steep price to pay for it. Has anyone used it to see how much more damage we get out of it?

To be honest, we're probably going to get more use out of the general AA's...

Origin: a gate is always a handy thing for a melee. Even if refresh time is over an hour, I have FD and a great deal of patience.

Chaotic Potential: more stats is good.

Discordant Defiance: Monks, more than any other class except possibly warriors, need resistances so we can survive pulls with caster mobs. If you've already capped out your resistances, I guess you know what to do now.

Mystical Attuning: I don't see it as being useful unless you want a LOT of junk buffs in case of dispells. To be honest, once I've got 7/9/brell/boar/kazad/FoE/haste, I'm pretty much good to go. Mabye some resistance buffs if ya want, but I don't fill up my buff slots as it is, why do I need more?

Healthy Aura/reflexive mastery/defensive instincts: this is kind of a d'uh. More regen/DM/DA is always a good thing.

Delay death: not real useful. Mostly for tanks who have another hit before CH lands. Since we don't want the clerics to heal us on a pull, kind of pointless since we're dead anyways.

Swifttail of 60 seasons
Quichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:44 AM   #12
Atroxis Crotalus

M-B collective parsing shows the special attack abilities are going of at a fantastic rate of something like 2-3% of landed specials. so, yea, hello waste of AA heh
Atroxis Crotalus is offline   Reply With Quote