Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Small Talk

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 AM   #1
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Default King Kong

Well, I'm surprised nobody has started a thread about this one, but I saw it last week and it is fucking fantastic. It seemed a bit long, but I probably feel that way because I saw it in a crowded theater and couldn't really sit comfortably. I don't think I'm giving anything away, but at the end when the planes were flying around, it almost gave me vertigo the way it was shot; very exciting. I highly recommend this movie!

PS - I need to find out what diet Peter Jackson used. I saw him in an interview recently and that motherfucker's skinny now!

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
The "use my fortune built from cashflinging fanboy geeks to get the lard sucked from my bulbous body" diet?

Kidding. I have no idea what he's done.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
Qildaare

I agree, I enjoyed the movie once I got passed the first hour. My 8 year old did not want to see it, he wanted to see Narnia, but even he said, "Mommy, this movie is pretty good". We went to a very late showing (11:30pm) and there was hardly anyone there.

For some reason, when I see Naomi Watts, I expected Samara to come out of nowhere lol. Jack Black wasnt annoying in this movie, although I like the annoying Jack Black.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Yeah King Kong was sweet as hell, i dunno why the critics pissed on it. its a friggin ape movie. what did they expect? shakespear? the end part had me speechless. How the fuck did they make a 1933 new york skyline look so fucking real and in color? i have no idea. ditto to the above vertigo comment. I am ashamed to admit that the end had me a 34 y old man in tears almost the same way i was crying at age 6 when i first saw the first (1933) kong.

ps
some of the scenes with the "natives" would make brilliant propaganda for the KKK.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
Davek
Squawk Box

I saw this yesterday afternoon/evening.

Yeah it was a long assed 3 hours...most of it moved along pretty good and you didn't notice the time going by, but other parts did drag.

For special effects/CGI it was top notch. I think this is the first time I can actually say that the merging of CGI and RL was pretty much seemless and believable. The only part that was maybe lacking was running between the dino feet...they could have cut down some time from that part of the movie.

I do have a fear of heights and the ending just gave me the willies...way more than the bug sequence(which had my friend squirming in his seat).

Overall, I enjoyed it...and glad I saw it in a theatre...although I don't think I'd see it again...maybe on rental though.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Aelain
Stop that rhyming!

Send a message via AIM to Aelain
Originally Posted by Davek
The only part that was maybe lacking was running between the dino feet...they could have cut down some time from that part of the movie.
That was my only criticism of the movie as well.

Originally Posted by Davek
I do have a fear of heights and the ending just gave me the willies...way more than the bug sequence(which had my friend squirming in his seat).
The bug sequence had some of the most disturbing images I have ever seen in a movie. Good place to hide your childrens' eyes if they are watching with you; you will see it coming.

The only other thing that detracted from my viewing experience was having to sit on the front row. Neck strain + back already in pain = not good. I finally figured out I could lift the armrest and sit across two seats and not be too uncomfortable. If we had had more time I would have insisted on a later showing (an hour later).

The chemistry between Kong and Ann(e?) is terrific and very believable, which is what makes the picture IMO. Much better than the 1977 travesty of a remake even though Jessica Lange is a top actress. Jackson seemed to overuse the closeups of Naomi Watts (not that I am complaining, as she is gorgeous).