Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #76
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Lol
Old 06-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #77
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Gawd... I'm agreeing with Chit...

I need a shower...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #78
Beal

Originally Posted by Chiteng
You cant deport legal citizens. This is the United States. Not Nazi Germany.
Actually, while browsing Wiki the other day I noticed this among a list of actions Hoover took to combat the Depression:

Authorized the repatriation to Mexico of 1-2 million people living in barrios throughout California, Texas and Michigan, 60% of whom were U.S. citizens of Mexican-descent, in an effort to ease unemployment.

Not that I think this kind of thing would fly these days...
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #79
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally Posted by Beal
Actually, while browsing Wiki the other day I noticed this among a list of actions Hoover took to combat the Depression:

Authorized the repatriation to Mexico of 1-2 million people living in barrios throughout California, Texas and Michigan, 60% of whom were U.S. citizens of Mexican-descent, in an effort to ease unemployment.

Not that I think this kind of thing would fly these days...
Yes and so did Eisenhower.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #80
Alinusara

Eisenhower forced the removal of US citizens also? I'm starting to wonder how many people we call illegals are actually the descendants of people who was removed illegally.
Alinusara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #81
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally Posted by Alinusara
Eisenhower forced the removal of US citizens also? I'm starting to wonder how many people we call illegals are actually the descendants of people who was removed illegally.
No, he deported illegals. AND I doubt that Hoover deported citizens.

I suspect there is more to it that what Beal posted

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #82
ShardmoonVer.1

I deported a 3 pound colon immigrant last night.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #83
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1
I deported a 3 pound colon immigrant last night.
That made me laugh out loud.

Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #84
ShardmoonVer.1

It made me moan. Does that make me gay?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #85
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1
It made me moan. Does that make me gay?
Only if you tried to suck it back in halfway through it all...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #86
Alinusara

Mexican Repatriation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mexican Repatriation was a largely forced migration mainly taking place between 1931 and 1934, when over 500,000 Mexicans and Mexican Americans, more than one third of the United States Mexican population, were deported or "voluntarily repatriated" to Mexico. Approximately 60% of the people deported were children who were born in America and others who, while of Mexican descent, were legal citizens.[1] Many of these people returned to the United States when the country experienced labor shortages during World War II.

During the Great Depression, Mexicans were viewed as a burden on social services such as relief aid and usurpers of American jobs. This sentiment coupled with a eugenicist concept of "undesirable" races to bring about the deportations[citation needed]. The Immigration and Naturalization Service targeted Mexicans because of "the proximity of the Mexican border, the physical distinctiveness of mestizos, and easily identifiable barrios."[2]

These actions were authorized by President Herbert Hoover and targeted areas with large Hispanic populations, mostly in California, Texas and Michigan. Although President Franklin Roosevelt ended federal support for the program when he took office, many state and local governments continued with their efforts.

Many who weren't forcibly deported opted to leave of their own volition in light of the anti-Mexican climate. Still others were coerced by social workers who exaggerated the economic opportunities in Mexico. Accumulating in border towns such as Ciudad Juárez, deportees and those who had voluntarily repatriated found few resources. The New York Times published an article on the death of 20 recently-repatriated Mexicans who had been living in an open corral from illness and exposure.

The state of California passed the Apology Act for the 1930s Mexican Repatriation Program in 2005, officially recognizing the "unconstitutional removal and coerced emigration of United States citizens and legal residents of Mexican descent" and apologizing to residents of California "for the fundamental violations of their basic civil liberties and constitutional rights committed during the period of illegal deportation and coerced emigration".
Alinusara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #87
Tuan00Dorf

Originally Posted by Chiteng
If that bill passes, they are here to stay, forever.
That's ok!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #88
kanya

Send a message via ICQ to kanya
again, i think wiki is not necessarily the best source for analysis of raw data. the entry provided here is thick with bias and while not inaccurate in what it presents, also fails to present the entirety of the issue.

going into the state by state history of the repatriation, we can see a much larger picture. it's definitely true that there were some violations of rights in the treatment of immigrants and their american born children, however it wasn't as simple as a president saying to kick them out.

it was more a situation of making it SO hard for them to live here that they left on their own, fear of deportation prompting them to leave on their own, inability to prove legal status prompting them to leave on their own and a general animosity between anglo americans against mexican americans prompting them to leave on their own. among other underhanded and nasty tricks to get them to decide to leave on their own.

they called the repatriation voluntary (except to those that were here illegally, they actively sought them out and deported them), and for much of the exodus it was. but it was through foul play that they chose to go back to mexico, and the mexican government supported the repatriation, so made it easy on them to go back to mexico.

one of the more interesting reads i found on the topic was the texas history because it actually goes back farther than the depression era repatriation to demonstrate how there have been many such occurrences in just that state alone.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/.../MM/pqmyk.html

i think that the exodus that occurred through the 1930s was probably severe not only due to the depression issue, but also due to the fact that it was coming off the heels of the 19teens exodus where mexicans left because of a thwarted uprising to reclaim parts of the U.S. for mexico followed by even more leaving out of fear that they would be drafted into the war.

i'm sure that left little sympathy later when the american general population was looking for ways to push even more out...and the government just latched onto the opportunity to take advantage of the general distaste to make it even harder for mexicans to live here.
kanya is offline   Reply With Quote