Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Default Now Mexico's in Trouble

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32793136..._news-security
HOUSTON - Special teams of Texas Rangers will be deployed to the Texas-Mexico border to deal with increasing violence because the federal government has failed to address growing problems there, Gov. Rick Perry said Thursday.

"It is an expansive effort with the Rangers playing a more high-profile role than they've ever played before," Perry said of the Department of Public Safety's elite investigative unit.

The forces, dubbed "Ranger recon" teams, are the latest effort "to fill the gap that's been left by the federal government's ongoing failure to adequately secure our international border with Mexico," he said.

The governor early this year asked Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano for 1,000 National Guard troops and renewed his call last month in a letter to President Barack Obama. The request is bogged down over who will pay for the troops and how they will be deployed.

'Boots on the ground'
Perry's announcement Thursday comes amid increasing border violence, particularly in El Paso, mostly involving people with ties to Mexican drug gangs.

"They'll be deployed to high-traffic, high-crime areas along the border," he said. "They'll give us boots on the ground, put people in these hot spots no matter what or where they may exist."

Perry said the effort also would focus on remote areas where farmers and ranchers have complained of being overrun by smugglers and gangs from Mexico in numbers that also overwhelm local law enforcement and border patrol officers.

"Washington is shortchanging them, not giving them the support they need," Perry said. "As a result, we're having to dedicate our resources to deal with the challenges we have along the Texas-Mexico border and ensuing issues that porous border has created all across state of Texas."

He said the state would pick up the tab of $110 million, allocated by the Legislature in the past two sessions.

Perry's announcement drew immediate criticism from U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, who is running against the two-term incumbent in the March GOP primary.

"Today's announcement is yet another empty election-year promise from Rick Perry on border security," Hutchison spokesman Joe Pounder said.

Perry fired back that it was the "height of hypocrisy for someone who's been in Washington, D.C., for 16 years, who's had the opportunity to help Texas on our border security, and they've been no more successful in delivering the resources and help."

"So please do that job up there first before you come down here and start criticizing about the state of Texas," he said.

Hutchison also took Perry to task for the absence of any Texas agency from a federal program that allows Homeland Security personnel to work with local law enforcement on immigration issues.

"Texans need a governor they can trust to actually improve our security," her campaign said in a statement.

"I happen to think we've taken advantage of every program that's been effective," responded Perry, who has been branding his opponent as someone from Washington out of touch with her home state. "Pointing out one program that has been funded and leaving the 800-pound gorilla — which is 1,000 National Guard troops that we need — I am stunned someone from Washington, D.C., would say they've done enough to secure our border."

Brig. Gen. Joyce Stevens, commander of the Texas Army National Guard, said about 200 soldiers and airmen already have started integrated operations with the Rangers.

Tony Leal, assistant director of the Texas Rangers, declined to provide the number of his officers involved in the effort.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
AjTaliesen

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Perry's announcement drew immediate criticism from U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, who is running against the two-term incumbent in the March GOP primary.

"Today's announcement is yet another empty election-year promise from Rick Perry on border security," Hutchison spokesman Joe Pounder said.

Perry fired back that it was the "height of hypocrisy for someone who's been in Washington, D.C., for 16 years, who's had the opportunity to help Texas on our border security, and they've been no more successful in delivering the resources and help."

"So please do that job up there first before you come down here and start criticizing about the state of Texas," he said.
Without knowing either candidate I'd say Perry scored some points there.

Then again, I believe if there was an option on the ballot box, "vote against ALL incumbents in the house and Senate regardless of party." that box would win with 75% of the vote.
AjTaliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
InTenSity

Originally Posted by AjTaliesen View Post

Then again, I believe if there was an option on the ballot box, "vote against ALL incumbents in the house and Senate regardless of party." that box would win with 75% of the vote.
Well as long as they aren't your incumbants. I'm sure your congressperson is doing fine in your district.
InTenSity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
SupportTank

I believe Glenn Beck predicted a war between Texas and Mexico. Although I am pretty sure he meant the drug lords.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by AjTaliesen View Post

Yeah, it's shaping up to be a really nasty gubernatorial race. Hell, I'd almost vote for Kinky just out of spite.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 09-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
InTenSity

Originally Posted by SupportTank View Post
I believe Glenn Beck predicted a war between Texas and Mexico. Although I am pretty sure he meant the drug lords.
I hope that he charges first and hope everyone else follows.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
bahlaal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgJhsnXKqM
bahlaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

I'm just glad the Rangers will be preoccupied with border defense. The Sox are still only a couple games up on them in the wild card and we'll take all the help we can get.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
InTenSity

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
I'm just glad the Rangers will be preoccupied with border defense. The Sox are still only a couple games up on them in the wild card and we'll take all the help we can get.
Screw the AL!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
Wrong Rangers.

And really... give us a little love over here. The Rangers have never made it past the 1st round of the playoffs ya know... And why? Your fave team, the Yankees! (That and we traditionally suck)
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
AjTaliesen

Originally Posted by InTenSity View Post
Well as long as they aren't your incumbants. I'm sure your congressperson is doing fine in your district.
My congressman is Steny Hoyer. The tool who will replace Pelosi when/if the party ever kicks her to the curb. But the district borders DC and would vote democrat even if the party nominated a used doggy toy.

I think the perception that people are happy with their district is a little simplistic. More often people just vote party. EVERYONE considers themselves to be a moderate. Michael Moore probably considers himself moderate. The truth is only a very small percentage of people are willing to vote beyond party lines when it comes down to it and while it's possible for that percentage to swing a national election, they have no impact at all in most districts. Pelosi and Hoyer will leave congress when and ONLY when the party nominates someone else, which will only happen if they either resign, retire, or are sent to jail and even jail is not really a guarantee. Beyond that, there is no chance AT ALL of them losing their district.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #12
AjTaliesen

by the way, the statement "Everyone considers themselves moderate" is something I've been thinking for a while and it proves true more and more every day.

Even the most radical on both left and right think this and justify their position on the spectrum by saying that everyone else is just gone way out in the deep end to the right/left. Bumbles is kind of case in point for this. I'm sure he doesn't see himself as being far left. Everyone else is just whacko far right, even Hilary if needed.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #13
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Yeah, it's shaping up to be a really nasty gubernatorial race. Hell, I'd almost vote for Kinky just out of spite.
Yep - while I think Perry is doing better (or at least less bad) and Hutchison is tolerable as a Senator, I don't really care for either. If Kinky can actually put together a decent campaign (in addition to the great bumper stickers), I might actually vote for him, even if runs as a Democrat.

But I'm expecting it to be a nasty race, where everyone comes out looking like an idiot asshole, and I just flip a coin between the three of them.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote