Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
Davek
Squawk Box

Default Ukrainian Presedential Elections

I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention here of this. Not really sure what to think of it myself since I haven't really paid that much attention to it.

Well, I'm kinda forced to now. My apartment is pretty much right across from the Ukrainian Embasssy here in Ottawa. Right now there's a pretty large demonstration going on right outside my window. I'm figuring(hoping) that it will remain peaceful here. If anything, I could see them heading down to the Russian Embassy and possibly be more rowdy there(although hopefully not).

Looks like Ottawa is going to be a bit of a hot bed of protests for the next bit. Security is already beefing up for the visit of Bush. Working and living right downtown will prove interesting for me.

Guess I'll go window watch for now!

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
Usna

Ok this is all I know of the situation, the pro-Russian candidate won the election by a couple of percentage points. However all the exit polls suggested that the opposition candidate, who is more pro-western was well ahead. There was widespread reports of election fraud, busloads of "voters" loyal to the Governments man being bused from polling station to polling station and voting multiple times using bogus voter cards. Supporters of the opposition candidate were assaulted in the days leading up to the election. So on and so forth.

Now Putin is backing the "winner" who as I said is pro-Russian, whilst the EU (who had the monitors in place) and the US are refusing to recognise the result. There has been talk of civil war, with hundreds of thousands of supporters of the opposition candidate demonstrating in Kiev and refusing to recognise the president elect, whilst the police and military have been called in by the Government.

That's it in a nutshell. I am not sure of the two names and too lbusy to look it up right now, but they are very similar so reports can be a bit confusing.
Usna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
Davek
Squawk Box

That's pretty much the summary that I had gathered over the past couple of days as well.

As for the demonstration here. My guess is about 300 - 500 people and pretty peaceful. Everything is done for now.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Vireil
Disturbing the force

I find it extremely amusing that the (US) Republicans are outraged at the irregularities and suspicions of voter disenfranchisement, intimidation and fraud!
Vireil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

here we go again