Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #1
Rheaton

Default Question about my CPU

At home I have a AMD Athlon 2100+ (1.7 Ghz).. But for some reason it has been set at 1.3 Ghz in the BIOS (default from a previous flash? at 1014 right now).. The problem is that WinXP pro has been installed onto the machine with this setting (at 1.3) and now when I change it to 1.7, the machine locks up while attempting to go into Windows. Does anyone know a way around this other then: Reformatting with the 1.7 setting and reinstalling Windows? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Eskimo

Send a message via ICQ to Eskimo Send a message via AIM to Eskimo Send a message via Yahoo to Eskimo
Speed isn't set anywhere in Windows, and it doesn't matter what your BIOS is set to as far as bus speed and multiplier when you format your computer and load an OS.

What you're seeing is the other hardware you have installed isn't capable of being stable at the 1.7 setting. Which is why it freezes. Sometimes you can overclock and it'll just cause the computer to degrade slowly over time and need to reboot more often. I've done it so badly in the past that the computer wouldn't even post. But something in your system is limiting the stability at the 1.7 clockspeed. RAM is the most common culprit as it's very speed sensitive.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
Rheaton

I guess I need to look into the specific error it is reporting for any clues. The thing about it is that it was running at 1.7 previously. I had updated the BIOS and all that was working good (but never checked to see if it modified the cpu settings). Well, things got cluttered and I cant stand clutter on my system.. so I reformated, reinstalled Windows, same drivers, etc... then noticed yesterday that it wasnt set to 1.7 .. I am only guessing that the BIOS update did this. Perhaps its the BIOS update?

It is telling me to turn off caching and or shadow mem. When I turned off both levels of cache it booted into Windows... but dangit slow. I havnt added any new hardware other then a new DSL modem (external), but even that did OK at the previous settings before reinstall, etc.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
Old 10-19-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Walterscott

What make/model motherboard do you have?

Some motherboards have switch settings that need to be changed. Most likely though it's a BIOS setting and/or a possible limitation of the motherboard. Just guessing though.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
Rheaton

Originally Posted by Walterscott
What make/model motherboard do you have?

Some motherboards have switch settings that need to be changed. Most likely though it's a BIOS setting and/or a possible limitation of the motherboard. Just guessing though.
ASUS A7V8X
Old 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
Walterscott

I didn't see any dip switches on the motherboard from the pic on this site.

Out of curiosity did you purchase the memory they listed on the bottom of this page??? Do you remember if you bought DDR or SDRAM?

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V8X&langs=09

The motherboard looks more than capable of supporting 1.7GHz speeds though.

At this point though, I'm just guessing honestly though in an effort to help...