Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Lurikeen
Freaky

Default When will the race card be discarded?

In watching the news surrounding the Katrina disaster, one can't help but notice the race card being played and reported over and over again. It is even at a point where I don't see democrats crying "race foul"; rather, Republicans stating that race isn't a factor in rescue operations! Yet, I can't help but feel that the major media is playing the race card just so they can get stories. In other words, Democrats and Republicans are simply responding to loaded questions posed by the major media outlets' reporters. Tail wags the dog.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
Where the hell you been foo!

And I would have to agree with you there on the media playing on the race issue for the story.

Question is, how do we get them to stop it?

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

I have been very busy! I am in school... yet again! :P

I don't know if there is any stopping the major media. If only the adage "Curiosity killed the cat" applied to them and were true, we could see a solution! :P No, seriously, I see the problem as being one of monetary interests. Our major news outlets are all owned by major money interests. It is difficult for me to think that editors aren't being manipulated by the dollars. I guess the only alternative is state run media, but that would be just as evil. /shrug Good question, Ini, I certainly don't have an answer to it.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Hoamonduh

I say we all fuck eachother randomly till everyone is a mottled shade of yellow.... Then there will no longer be a race card (per se) but more of an:
A) "I'm yellower than you!"
B) "Oh yeah!?! Well I'm more Brownish-yellow than you!"

Till then, unfortunately, there will always be a race card...

The Duchess: Diamonds are of most value They say, that have pass'd through most jewellers hands.

Ferdinand: Whores, by that rule, are precious.

-The Duchess of Malfi Act 1, Scene 3 - John Webster 1614

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."
— Benjamin Franklin
Hoamonduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Hoamonduh
I say we all fuck eachother randomly till everyone is a mottled shade of yellow.... Then there will no longer be a race card (per se) but more of an:
A) "I'm yellower than you!"
B) "Oh yeah!?! Well I'm more Brownish-yellow than you!"

Till then, unfortunately, there will always be a race card...
Won't work. Has already been tried. See Asia.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Arka Brisereves

Originally Posted by Ini
Where the hell you been foo!

And I would have to agree with you there on the media playing on the race issue for the story.

Question is, how do we get them to stop it?
make them know it, loudly.

in sweden, or norway (don't remember), the tv news have a phone number where you can call and make a direct intervention(direct on tv, while the news are running) to correct a news.

Other solution: smaller independant newspaper.

big condition: make them stop lieing. impose a law that say "if you are caught lieing, you'll have to pay mucho mucho money".
Because, seriously, how can you even put credit in anything coming from murdock ? the guy won the right to tell everything he want on his news edition on the US territory. yeah, that mean he can lie as much as he want and mislead the people that read him.
Arka Brisereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
Maximus Faticus

big condition: make them stop lieing. impose a law that say "if you are caught lieing, you'll have to pay mucho mucho money".
Because, seriously, how can you even put credit in anything coming from murdock ? the guy won the right to tell everything he want on his news edition on the US territory. yeah, that mean he can lie as much as he want and mislead the people that read him.
As cool as that would be, I don't think that will work. If a newspaper prints something they believed in, but turns out that they were false, were they lying? There would be too large of a grey area.

Plus I don't think the government should have any say in regard to what the media does anyways. Thats why I also think the FCC, or any censorship is fucking stupid.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
SupportTank

the race thing wont die cuzz the media refuses to let it die. its a nice controversial issue that they cough up when shit isn't blowing up or people arn't dying fast enough.

its pathetic really to see the state the media is in.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
ShardmoonVer.1

The media as we know it is dying. They know it and they will do anything possible to prolong the inevitable. Information spreads faster than it can be distorted or filtered these days. Facts are being checked when before, they werent even being questioned. In 10 ro 15 years I am guessing the 6 oclock time slots will be filled with Simpsons reruns on all the major networks.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1
The media as we know it is dying.
Only to transform into something more evil as the speed of technology grows; which is 'news for entertainment'.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
Vireil
Disturbing the force

The race card will be discarded once race is no longer an issue.
Vireil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Vireil
Well, that sort of begs the question. It seems, in this case, that the major media outlets like CNN and FOX are playing the card. I saw an interview on CNN just tonight were Al Sharpton, of all people, was backing away from race being an issue in New Orleans rescue efforts only to have the person interviewing him press him with loaded questions. So who is playing the race card these days? Who is making it an issue?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #13
Hoamonduh

Won't work. Has already been tried. See Asia.
LOL!

Actually... there isnt any racism there... They persecute based on socio-economic status instead ROFL!

The Duchess: Diamonds are of most value They say, that have pass'd through most jewellers hands.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."
— Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #14
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Hoamonduh
LOL!

Actually... there isnt any racism there... They persecute based on socio-economic status instead ROFL!
Oh, no, that's not entirely true! For examlpe and in general the Japanese and Koreans have hated each other on the basis of nationality.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:13 PM   #15
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
Only to transform into something more evil as the speed of technology grows; which is 'news for entertainment'.
Running Man anyone?

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #16
zzapp the witch

LOL Ini, that's exactly what I was thinking!
zzapp the witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

I say we all fuck eachother randomly till everyone is a mottled shade of yellow.... Then there will no longer be a race card
Good lord Homanduh has seen Thirteen, ill admit i watched i too, but i wanted to see Holly hunter's vag/ yes shes kinda old now but i waited 15 years to see that vag and ill take it anyway i can.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #18
Azraelwrath

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
Oh, no, that's not entirely true! For examlpe and in general the Japanese and Koreans have hated each other on the basis of nationality.
That reminds me of Dave Chappelle at the Fillmore saying how Asian people only have a beef with other asian people.

"Hey are you Korean?" No I'm Chinese. WHAT YOU THINK I'M KOREAN!!!!
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:19 AM   #19
Arka Brisereves

Originally Posted by Maximus Faticus
As cool as that would be, I don't think that will work. If a newspaper prints something they believed in, but turns out that they were false, were they lying? There would be too large of a grey area.
that works perfectly in the great majority of european countries (except england). If they are not sure about something (that imply an investigation), they use conditionnal tense, like "mickael jackson might have a small weewee". That's a big difference between affirmating smething even if it's false, and making a supposition. And that works so well that the governments(justice) don't even have to interfere in this: if a newspaper is caught doing a mistake (that can happen), the others newspapers will crucify it, and the journalist, if not the entire redaction, have good chance to lose their jobs. They simply can't lie, because the risk of being caugh is great and the consequences are deadly: the journal can lose money and credibility among the readers (so lose more money).
i have an exemple of a tv journalist that presented a false information on the tv journal he presented, an important one, the guy have been suspended from presentating the news for over a month, and was the target of jokes during weeks from other journalists, simply because he didn't checked his source.
Arka Brisereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:34 AM   #20
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
So who is playing the race card these days? Who is making it an issue?
Well, Jesse Jackson had to get his name in the news again. Also, I saw an interview with a retired Congressman who led the Black Caucus while there that made me sick to my stomach. People like those two are as guilty as anyone else of continuing racisim and segregation. As long as things like the NAACP and affirmative action are around, racism will always be huge.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:15 AM   #21
SupportTank

Originally Posted by Vireil
the problem vir is the media refuses to Let it die. just when shit is starting to work the media coughs it up again apouting more crap about it.

when it starts to become a non issue. they make it a issue.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:25 AM   #22
Hoamonduh

YES! Thirteen... yummy Holly!!!! and my statement about all fucking till we are mottled yellow was a flippant remark rather than a serious one.

— Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-13-2005, 05:47 AM   #23
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by chukzombi
Good lord Homanduh has seen Thirteen, ill admit i watched i too, but i wanted to see Holly hunter's vag/ yes shes kinda old now but i waited 15 years to see that vag and ill take it anyway i can.
Watch The Piano. I can't speak for Thirteen, but The Piano was a pretty good flick.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:49 AM   #24
Hoamonduh

No it wasn't Wildane... It was horrible... (OK kids, lets see of he bites...)

— Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23 AM   #25
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Wildane
Well, Jesse Jackson had to get his name in the news again. Also, I saw an interview with a retired Congressman who led the Black Caucus while there that made me sick to my stomach. People like those two are as guilty as anyone else of continuing racisim and segregation. As long as things like the NAACP and affirmative action are around, racism will always be huge.
Yeah, well, they aren't the only ones. You can hear conservative groups bringing up the evils of affirmative action. But I agree with you to some extent. When we have groups hell bent on seeing racism under every rock and behind every bush, then the race card will be played. I think that much of what we see and hear about it, though, is sensationalized by the major media outlets. The New Orleans disaster is a perfect example of that.