Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Retirement Hall

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
Artulo

Default Not a Retirement

For any of the old timers from Morell Thule, I have been playing on the Firiona Vie server for the past couple of years. Just checking to see of any of the others have remained in game or check these boards from time to time.
Artulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Karthanon

/waves Artulo, the mad multiboxing haffer

Give me pie!
Karthanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Crystilla
Administrator

/wave from Miasma and myself
Valorguard
Erollisi Marr server
Crystilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Artulo

Nice to see a couple of familiar names.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Mallo

Hey Artulo how's it going?
Mallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Artulo

Doing well enough. Real Life is going well enough, although getting old enough that retirement is getting all too close.

Gaming, plodding along in EQ on Firiona Vie. Found some good friends though I miss the days of the Lions and the GoB.

I check on the Lions boards every once and a while, but no one uses the EZ Board any more and the newer one has been locked down ever since the spam attack.

I hope you and Luniel are doing well, in RL and whatever gaming worlds you are inhabiting these days.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Mallo

The spam attack and frankly the real short run in WoW the WoW endgame was really sad.

The new games are all very scripted pretty much one way to do things.

I find myself nosalgic for EQ where you can work on tactics and come up with ways around things you were week at.

Mallo
Old 11-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Crystilla
Administrator

Lot of changes in EQ since you left.

Strategies got much more complex (compared to beat down a named type mobs). It's run an entire gamit from reading emote text/using audio triggers to react a certain way to lots of mini events in one and a few other things thrown in for good measure.

There's always room for a quick peek back
Valorguard
Erollisi Marr server
Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Artulo

Some of those events can be 'interesting'.

Overall, I still think EQ1 is probably a more well rounded game than either EQ2 or WoW, but that is my personal opinion. If you are a competent player and able to put in sessions of a couple of hours at least once a week, you can advance reasonably well via several paths.

I even think SOE customer service (I know many consider that to be an oxymoron) has improved somewhat over the past couple of years. The petition mechanics have become a bit awkward, but once the petition has been entered, a GM response is usually pretty quick. I had four unlooted corpses disappear in an instance on a server crash a few days ago. Once I got the petition in a GM responded in less than 10 minutes and we spent the next 90 minutes or so getting the characters restored. He had to do a rollback of about 12 hours to the last log out, but I got all the gear back and he even restored the AA's the characters had earned after the respawn.

I see a few of the old crowd like Crys posting on these boards and I am on most evenings and weekends on FV, so if you want to drop back for a look around, I know you and Luniel would be welcomed.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
Mallo

Originally Posted by Crystilla View Post
Lot of changes in EQ since you left.

Strategies got much more complex (compared to beat down a named type mobs). It's run an entire gamit from reading emote text/using audio triggers to react a certain way to lots of mini events in one and a few other things thrown in for good measure.

There's always room for a quick peek back
Thats what I mean about the new games not having much life the raids are simplistic and tend to be very liner at least the ones I've done. Have X and win other wise maybe you get lucky but not much chance. EQ often had more then one way to skin a cat.

Mallo
Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
Artulo

Sometimes the other ways to skin the cat may not have been what the designers intended, but the game engine is flexible enough to allow for them.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
Tetman1

I actually think Mallo might like the new expansion.

I mean you get to kill lots of gnomes besides lots of other stuff.

Tetman
Tetman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #13
Mallo

Tetman,

I was wondering if you were still about. Meldreth I hear he always was a pain in the rump.

Mallo
Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #14
Crystilla
Administrator

Gnomes came up with some catapults so you even get to shoot yourself off into the sky ... and if the game likes you, you can get to the zone you wanted. If you aren't liked, you get squashed

Only "down"side has been the major gear stat mudflation. I stay off the EQLive forums in terms of my thoughts on the whole thing, not sure I have finalized my opinion to be frank, but things like tradeskills have meant a TON over the last 2.5 years.

With a couple of friends, it's easy to get back into the swing of things for a bit, and holiday time is a good time for nostalgia
*applies subliminal messaging*
Valorguard
Erollisi Marr server
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
Mallo

Watch the RP forum....
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #16
Tetman1

I'm still kicking it around.

I'm sure at times when the raid is dragging that the raid wishes that I wasn't

/insert about 10 or so mobs.

Tetman
Tetman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #17
Mojarda

/wave... from an Old GoBer.

Good to see some familiar names from the past.
Mojarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #18
Mallo

Originally Posted by Mojarda View Post
/wave... from an Old GoBer.

Good to see some familiar names from the past.
Mojarda,

How are you doing? That is a blast from the past. I hear good things about Avatar Elite. Good group of folks.

Mallo
Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
Mojarda

Doing quite well and still having fun in EQ1. All of the Whispering Scythe retired or moved on to WoW, so I joined Avatar Elite in 2005. It's a great group of people. We progress fairlly slowly given our no-required raid attendance policy and rather large roster, but a more friendly and helpful bunch of guildmate, you couldn't find.

You're absolutely correct on the flexibility of strats. While there is an abundance of information on most of the older events, piecing them all together and fitting them to your guilds roster and play style is a big part of it.

In Anguish, there are a couple of events that we actually have won using 2 or 3 different strats depending on who shows up to the raid and what the raidleader decides. After clearing Anguish some 40 times, it's kinda refreshing to do events differently from week to week.

If you pop your head back into EQ, give me a shout.
Mojarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #20
Mallo

Originally Posted by Mojarda View Post
Doing quite well and still having fun in EQ1. All of the Whispering Scythe retired or moved on to WoW, so I joined Avatar Elite in 2005. It's a great group of people. We progress fairlly slowly given our no-required raid attendance policy and rather large roster, but a more friendly and helpful bunch of guildmate, you couldn't find.

You're absolutely correct on the flexibility of strats. While there is an abundance of information on most of the older events, piecing them all together and fitting them to your guilds roster and play style is a big part of it.

In Anguish, there are a couple of events that we actually have won using 2 or 3 different strats depending on who shows up to the raid and what the raidleader decides. After clearing Anguish some 40 times, it's kinda refreshing to do events differently from week to week.

If you pop your head back into EQ, give me a shout.
I've been around the bazaar the last few nights doing the trading game. I'm in Boston on training so working on gear before I try to do any thing more.

I was happy to see so many of the old MT guilds still running around. I'm happy to hear that you guys are doing well.

Mallo