Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
Heretic

Default the time has come...

..for an independent candidate to win the presidency. The great majority of the public from both sides of the aisle join together on one issue....illegal immigration. All a person would have to do is 1) be a christian 2) have credentials as a common working man, either currently or in the past 3) have a moderates stance on the issues 4) use illegal immigration as his main platform.

I think he could easily defeat the other parties. The problem is, with the Democrats and Bush in control, I think illegal immigration won't be an issue by 2008 as they will all be citizens and we will be singing the mexican anthem.
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Axgar

Send a message via Yahoo to Axgar
You might be singing the Mexican anthem........ Ill be either dead or in Canada trying to figure out a way to take it back.
Axgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Axgar
You might be singing the Mexican anthem........ Ill be either dead or in Canada trying to figure out a way to take it back.
We don't want you...so that leaves you with the one option.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Axgar

WEll with Canada being primarily French Im sure I could overthrow it alone within hours....... however long it takes to distribute the white hankies.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
celedine169

Won't happen. The people who really run the parties (not the people they get elected) will never allow an independent to have a real chance. The only reason Perot got as far as he did was because he had enough personal wealth to compete with the dem's and GOP's fundraising, and we all saw how easy Perot went down.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Beal

Perot was a nutjob who had consistantly 1/3 the votes in three-way polls until the day he pretended to withdraw from the race. I think his withdrawal was his biggest mistake. Get an intelligent candidate in there who can speak to the people on more than one issue and I think he would have a real chance.

Yes though, he does need lots of money.
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
bumbleroot

Illegal immigration will not win someone the presidency. This is no more of an issue to run a campaign on then the Dixiecrats of 1948. That was Strom Thurmond running an Jim Crow campaign.
The people of our country see immigration as a wedge issue. It is not a primary issue. Regardless of whatever anyone else says, the root of the problem is not immigration. Having more workers from other places is not a problem as long as you have more jobs. Sealing the border is a no-brainer but that is a security issue moreso than an immigration issue.

As far as it being a major issue. The only reason it was brought up this year was because the Republicans thought they had a winninng issue for the political season. Ask J.D. Hayworth, the most vocal pol in favor of the Minutemen if he thinks it was a winning issue. It is not a good issue to build their party on and if they do they will pretty much marginalize themselves like the Dems did in the south after civil rights.
It will not be pursued with the same vigor from the Dems. They may work with McCain on his version of the bill. But this could cost him the nomination as well.

The main reason people would support a third party candidate is because they get tired of it being business as usual in Washington. Perot was the standardbearer of this cause. However, when they start looking at whether someone could actually get something done or not, people change their views in favor of one of the two major parties.
The only way there will be a third party is if one or both of the parties splits off and forms another one. Or if one of the parties loses its ideological compass. For example, Libertarians could replace Republicans if the Reps don't go back to their base values.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
Axgar

Theres one problem, Greed and people are going to vote for the candidate that they think is going to make them rich........... liberals usually Democrat because of all the free money ........ Cons usually Republican because they are good for big business blah blah blah oil this and that

the independants don't have as much of a chance because they dont take a stance on one side or the other so they end up getting the FU votes from both parties.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
Davek
Squawk Box

WEll with Canada being primarily French Im sure I could overthrow it alone within hours....... however long it takes to distribute the white hankies.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA *BREATHE* OHOHOHOHOHHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHHOHOHOHOHOH

Yeah you keep believing that.

How long before we have to go clean up your mess in Iraq like we're doing in Afghanistan?

And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
Beal

STFU Frenchy.
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Davek
We don't want you...so that leaves you with the one option.
Bah! You guys are too nice to turn us away if we decide to head north!
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Davek
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA *BREATHE* OHOHOHOHOHHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHHOHOHOHOHOH

Yeah you keep believing that.

How long before we have to go clean up your mess in Iraq like we're doing in Afghanistan?
Besides... the French Part of Canada's gonna secede soon enough...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #13
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Drysdale
Besides... the French Part of Canada's gonna secede soon enough...
Promise? I hear a good chunk of them have already gone down to Florida for the winter....it's a good start.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Beal
STFU Frenchy.
Why don't you go "mouth" with Drysdale?

/snicker

Old 11-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
Axgar

Actually Im right below sask, about ohhh 250 miles from Regina, not to bad in that area.

As far as canadians cleaning anything up..... your military couldnt take our cub scout troops and you know it.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
LOL, I was just waiting for someone to jump on that comment about Canada being primarily French. I was under the impression that French Canadians were quite the minority up there.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:43 AM   #17
Davek
Squawk Box

Actually Im right below sask, about ohhh 250 miles from Regina, not to bad in that area.

As far as canadians cleaning anything up..... your military couldnt take our cub scout troops and you know it.
That's because your cub scouts are already being taken by closet homosexuals.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #18
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Brigiid
LOL, I was just waiting for someone to jump on that comment about Canada being primarily French. I was under the impression that French Canadians were quite the minority up there.
Especially out West. They are more abundant from Quebec and to the East. Eastern Ontario has a higher ratio only due to being next to Quebec.

From say about Kingston and West is where French peters out. Toronto is a mixed bag where even the "ethnics" out number the French...and usually that's about where our National Anthem is sung all in English again.

Vancouver - aka Hongcouver...Asians out number everyone else.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:49 AM   #19
Heretic

Originally Posted by axgar
WEll with Canada being primarily French Im sure I could overthrow it alone within hours
Never underestimate the power of thousands of hockeysticks.

Originally Posted by celedine
The only reason Perot got as far as he did was because he had enough personal wealth to compete with the dem's and GOP's fundraising, and we all saw how easy Perot went down.
The political climate is different now. We have one issue that unites the great majority of Americans. Also, people are disgusted (more than usual) of both political parties. The democrats are spineless bastards who lack any vision or speaking point and the republicans are hated from detractors and usual supporters alike due to their fiscal policy and Iraq war. I think there is a better chance now than ever.

I forgot to add one more to the list of candidate qualities.

5) NO NEGATIVE ADS

Originally Posted by bumble
That was Strom Thurmond running an Jim Crow campaign.
The people of our country see immigration as a wedge issue. It is not a primary issue.
A really small wedge. The only ones who support illegal immigration are the illegals and persons close to them, democrats for some damn reason, and employers of the illegals. I see this going as a 80-20% vote like most of the marriage amendments.

Having more workers from other places is not a problem as long as you have more jobs.
Do some more studying on the issue. There are tons more problems involved.

Sealing the border is a no-brainer but that is a security issue moreso than an immigration issue.
How can you seal the border while letting illegals run free?

The main reason people would support a third party candidate is because they get tired of it being business as usual in Washington.
Like I said, now is the time. Lets take a vote. How many here are satisfied with the performance of either of the two main political parties in the last few years?
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote