Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Default Wingardium Leviosa! Praise Allah!

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=3&id=1368962006

Terrorist detainees spellbound by Harry Potter tales
RACHEL WILLIAMS
IN NEW YORK
THE Harry Potter stories are the most popular books in the Guantanamo Bay detention centre's library, the Pentagon has revealed.

JK Rowling's tales of the young wizard were the most requested by terror suspects held at the high-security camp from among 3,500 titles available.

The Defence Department also said detainees enjoyed watching World Cup football games and playing table tennis.

The revelations came in a new document released by the department called Ten Facts About Guantanamo, which seeks to highlight the "benefits" available to those incarcerated at the camp in Cuba.

Recreational activities on offer are said to include basketball, volleyball, football, table tennis and board games, and high-top trainers are provided.

Departing detainees are given a Koran, a denim jacket, a white T-shirt, a pair of blue jeans, high-tops, a gym bag of toiletries, and a pillow and blanket for the flight home.

More money is spent on meals for detainees than on those for the US troops stationed there, the list claimed.

Detainees are offered up to 4,200 calories worth of food a day and gained an average of 20lb.

"The library has 3,500 volumes available in 13 languages - the most requested book is Harry Potter," the list added.

Matt Latimer, director of the Pentagon writers' group, which put the list together, said: "We welcome the chance to let people know there's more than one side to the story in Guantanamo."
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
AjTaliesen

Well we're going to throw you in jail indefinitely without a trial, warrant, or evidence, but look on the bright side...we brought you a book!
AjTaliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:29 AM   #3
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by AjTaliesen
Well we're going to throw you in jail indefinitely without a trial, warrant, or evidence, but look on the bright side...we brought you a book!
to beat you with....

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Davek
to beat you with....
Damn... I wanted to flush it.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote