Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Default Ah, the south...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/01....ap/index.html

Details of contract law aside, I think if the University is going to scrap the name there should be some exchange- monetary or otherwise. If I donate money to have a building built at my undergrad school or at my grad school that bears my name, and they later decide I'm an asshole and don't want it named after me, it seems that violates the spirit of the agreement, if not the legalese details.

I think many of these Southern "Heritage" groups are absurd at best and outright shitbag racists at worst, but I still have a problem with this sort of thing.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
Nethri Mightyoak

Wouldn't it just be easier to fit the word "Daughters" in the new name of the building?

Then it would be a non-offensive name that still makes a reference to the "The United Daughters of the Confederacy".
Nethri Mightyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Im not sure what ignorance you are spewing, are you implying that all southerners are racists or just the ones who hold to their confederate ideals? BTW the reason why there are any democrats in the south is becuase of the confederacy.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Sounds like some of the contracts were bogus to begin with, but even so, it'd still be more accurate (and "sensitive to diversity" if you want to call it that) to not have it named Confederate Memorial Hall, but actually name it after the group which it was meant to be.

Also, anyone with a basic knowledge of Civil War history knows that the Confederacy was not really about slavery anyway, though that is by far the biggest issue in the public's eye.

Considering that the current name doesn't really honor the contract in the first place, it should be changed regardless.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by chukzombi
Im not sure what ignorance you are spewing, are you implying that all southerners are racists or just the ones who hold to their confederate ideals? BTW the reason why there are any democrats in the south is becuase of the confederacy.
You don't read well, do you- try again Cluck- slowly this time.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Ariochx

Ahh ...Racism is still alive in the South indeed.

Clayton Countys newly elected sheriff, Victor Hill , who is at the center of a controversy surrounding the abrupt firings of nearly two dozen sheriffs department employees earlier this week, said the dismissals were part of a reorganization ...

...It was a reorganization complete with armed guards, the jail SWAT team, and snipers on the roof.
The short of it... A new sheriff's first day of work consisted of firing the majority of whites in the department, and then stating the replacements would most likely be black.

follow up article

Originally Posted by Above Link
The 26 workers contend they were fired without cause and have retained an attorney who has filed a federal age, race and gender discrimination lawsuit against Hill.
regards,
Ariochx
Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

While I don't know nearly enough about the story to talk about reasoning for the firings, the manner in which they were removed seems to have a reason.

Asked about the manner in which the employees were fired, Hill alluded to DeKalb Countys slain sheriff-elect Derwin Brown.

Four years ago, Derwin Brown, when he got elected sheriff, he issued 30 letters, Hill said. He was gunned down in his front-yard.
As to your allegation of racism- are you more familiar with the story somehow? The articles makes no mention of the race of those fired nor his future hiring strategies, only that they are filing a federal age/race/gender lawsuit. In the picture included of employees returning to work, there are 3 black people there including one Garland Watkins being searched, named and photographed presumably because he is one of the returnees (though that's simply an assumption). Your case for racism is awful sketchy unless you know something readers of those 2 articles don't.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Ahh ...Racism is still alive in the South indeed.
The only way you could possibly pull some sort of point out of that would be by making yourself look even more ethnocentric than you already seem.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
Ariochx

CNN's own words

Originally Posted by Above Linked
The fired employees included four of the highest-ranking officers, all of them white. Hill told the newspaper their replacements would be black.
I live in Atlanta, and can assure you that Racisim is alive and well in the South. I have witnessed it first hand.

The best part about this Victor Hill event is the absence of the ACLU, Rainbow PUSH Colalition, or any other organization that champions racial equality.

regards,
Ariochx

Last edited by Ariochx; 01-14-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Ariochx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #10
Ariochx

Originally Posted by Fanon
The only way you could possibly pull some sort of point out of that would be by making yourself look even more ethnocentric than you already seem.
Do you have a problem with holding everyone to the same standards regarding racisim? In your mind events that occured in the South's past justifty Hill's actions?

Unless of course you would treat his blatant racially based comments, and jail-house cleaning, differently simply due to his.......skin tone.

regards,
Ariochx
Old 01-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #11
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Ariochx
CNN's own words

I live in Atlanta, and can assure you that Racisim is alive and well in the South. I have witnessed it first hand.

The best part about this Victor Hill event is the absence of the ACLU, Rainbow PUSH Colalition, or any other organization that champions racial equality.

regards,
Ariochx
You truly are an ignorant fool for calling out the ACLU on an issue like this- they regularly defend white-supremacist groups' rights to assembly and free speech. Your implied allegation of anti-white bias on their part is laughable.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #12
Caelie123

This is going to be interesting Ariochx. I saw on the news last night that they were given their jobs back, but demoted to menial positions with the same pay.

I guess me and Ariochx do see the reverse racism and reverse discrimination here because we live in Georgia and see this one instance on the news a couple of times a day. We see the interviews with the fired employees. Hill hasn't given a reason publicaly as of yet other than "there is nothing wrong with coming in and reorganizing". Nowhere has it been mentioned that they were fired minutes after the new Sheriff was sworn in because they weren't doing a good job.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
Ariochx

Ironic eh, Horm?

You don't even touch CNN reporting that one of the requirements of sheriff's hiring replacements would be racially based. When you quoted me you even edited it out....in fact, it was the only thing you cut.

Regards,
Ariochx
Old 01-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Caelie123
This is going to be interesting Ariochx. I saw on the news last night that they were given their jobs back, but demoted to menial positions with the same pay.

I guess me and Ariochx do see the reverse racism and reverse discrimination here because we live in Georgia and see this one instance on the news a couple of times a day. We see the interviews with the fired employees. Hill hasn't given a reason publicaly as of yet other than "there is nothing wrong with coming in and reorganizing". Nowhere has it been mentioned that they were fired minutes after the new Sheriff was sworn in because they weren't doing a good job.
If his lawyer is right (and I certainly don't know that he is) it doesn't matter- they are hired/fired at the preference of the sheriff, much as a new head coach for an NFL team often gets rid of the existing assistants to bring in his own staff. Personally I think those jobs should be protected from whimsical firings/hirings, but if that's what's on the books then perhaps he isn't wrong. Again I point to the picture included in Ariocock's initial articles of a black man being searched and have to wonder if the racism allegations are a bit fishy. Given the articles posted thus far I'm hugely unconvinced. The word of Ariochx or Caelie (who let us not forget once said she thought of the KKK as essentially the National Association for the Advancement of White People as foible to the NAACP) are hardly good enough. I'll wait to get answers from reputable sources.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #15
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Ironic eh, Horm?

You don't even touch CNN reporting that one of the requirements of sheriff's hiring replacements would be racially based. When you quoted me you even edited it out....in fact, it was the only thing you cut.

Regards,
Ariochx
Not at all my weak-minded little boy. He said the replacements would be black, it makes no mention that the replacements were hired on the basis of race. The CNN article didn't even quote him saying it, merely mentioned he did.

I'm guessing you didn't do well in reading class in elementary school?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #16
Ariochx

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Not at all my weak-minded little boy.
????

Again I point to the picture included in Ariocock's initial articles of a black man being searched and have to wonder if the racism allegations are a bit fishy
????

Sounds like you need a vacation.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #17
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

I have nothing of substance to say as Horm is clearly my better. Off to cry myself to sleep now and sing the Scarecrow song from wizard of oz....
fixed
Old 01-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #18
Ariochx

Wasn't the Wizard of Oz Scarecrow a Friend of Dorothy?

Something on your mind today Hormo?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #19
Ariochx

Originally Posted by Horm's Sig
Well-hung Attack Wombat
Is that advertisment reeling in the PM's Horm?

Regards,
Ariochx
Old 01-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #20
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Wasn't the Wizard of Oz Scarecrow a Friend of Dorothy?

Something on your mind today Hormo?
How is it an insecure little boy like you knows so much about gay slang? I mean, I live in the only state allowing gay marriages and I'd never heard of that so I can only assume an inbred little hillbilly like you from Georgia would need to go pretty far out of your way to get hip to the slang like that. Something to tell us?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #21
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

can you PM me pix of ur unit?
Dude, no.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:26 AM   #22
Oakinbier

Have you seen my sheep?
Daane 70 Priest
Core of Valor

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
BEWARE MY E-PENIS WRATH!!!!
Oakinbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #23
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Well, have you?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #24
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Originally Posted by Fanon

Do you have a problem with holding everyone to the same standards regarding racisim? In your mind events that occured in the South's past justifty Hill's actions?

Unless of course you would treat his blatant racially based comments, and jail-house cleaning, differently simply due to his.......skin tone.

regards,
Ariochx
Checkmate

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #25
Ariochx

Originally Posted by Hormodrune
How is it an insecure little boy like you knows so much about gay slang? I mean, I live in the only state allowing gay marriages and I'd never heard of that so I can only assume an inbred little hillbilly like you from Georgia would need to go pretty far out of your way to get hip to the slang like that.
You have never been to Atlanta. Let alone, downtown Atlanta. If you had ever had a chance to walk down a few blocks downtown you would easily answer your own question. Please continue to pretend you know everything Hormadrune. Your ignorance of the city, and use of stereotypes is pretty amusing.

regards
Ariochx

Last edited by Ariochx; 01-14-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Ariochx is offline   Reply With Quote