Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
Aackman

Default Firm in Florida Election Fiasco Gets Millions in Govt. Contracts

The "Good Old Boy" system at work:

Firm in Florida Election Fiasco Earns Millions from Files on Foreigners
Oliver Burkeman and Jo Tuckman
The Guardian

Monday 5 May 2003

A data-gathering company that was embroiled in the Florida 2000 election fiasco is being paid millions of dollars by the Bush administration to collect detailed personal information on the populations of foreign countries, enraging several governments who say the records may have been illegally obtained.

US government purchasing documents show that the company, ChoicePoint, received at least $11m (£6.86m) from the department of justice last year to supply data - mainly on Latin Americans - that included names and addresses, occupations, dates of birth, passport numbers and "physical description". Even tax records and blood groups are reportedly included.

Nicaraguan police have raided two offices suspected of providing the information. The revelations threaten to shatter public trust in electoral institutions, especially in Mexico, where the government has begun an investigation.

The controversy is not the first to engulf ChoicePoint. The company's subsidiary, Database Technologies, was responsible for bungling an overhaul of Florida's voter registration records, with the result that thousands of people, disproportionately black, were disenfranchised in the 2000 election. Had they been able to vote, they might have swung the state, and thus the presidency, for Al Gore, who lost in Florida by a few hundred votes.

Legal experts in the US and Mexico said ChoicePoint could be liable for prosecution if those who supplied it with the personal information could be proven to have broken local laws. That raises the possibility that any person whose data was accessible to American officials could take legal action against the US government.

"Anybody who felt they were affected by this could take the US government to court," said Julio Tellez, an expert in Mexican information legislation at the Tec de Monterrey University. "We could all do it ... We are not prepared to sell our intimacies for a fistful of dollars."

How the US is using the information remains mysterious, although its focus on Latin America suggests obvious applications in targeting illegal immigrants. Whatever the reasons, its commitment to ChoicePoint is long-term: last year's $11m payment was part of a contract worth $67m that runs until 2005.

ChoicePoint denied breaking any laws. "All information collected by ChoicePoint on foreign citizens is obtained legally from public agencies or private vendors," it said. It also denied purchasing "election registry information" from Mexico.
Aackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
Lurikeen
Freaky

A prime exaple of our tax dollars at work for politicians. It also points towards possible voter fraud in the 2000 Presidential race for Florida.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:53 PM   #3
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
It also points towards possible voter fraud in the 2000 Presidential race for Florida.
There is voter fraud in every election. I'm not excusing it, but it's there...from people double voting, to dead people who've been "voting" for many years.

And...let go of 2000. Bush won the election. He may not have won the popular vote, but he won the electoral vote fair and square. Nobody has found credible proof that there was foul play...just allegations. In my opinion, I think Bush will win again (<--emphasized) in 2004.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally posted by Martigan
There is voter fraud in every election. I'm not excusing it, but it's there...from people double voting, to dead people who've been "voting" for many years.

And...let go of 2000. Bush won the election. He may not have won the popular vote, but he won the electoral vote fair and square. Nobody has found credible proof that there was foul play...just allegations. In my opinion, I think Bush will win again (<--emphasized) in 2004.
I won't let go of the 2000 race until Bush is hunted down like the dirty dog he is and brought to justice!

Old 05-06-2003, 02:23 PM   #5
Martigan
Supporter

brought to justice
Lurikeen, if we all had to face the music for all the mistakes we have made, not one of us would be spared from being hunted down and brought to justice.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:31 PM   #6
Inmountains

Martigan
You forget, Lurikeen is perfect, flawless, with brilliant reasoning, a firm grip on reality and a compassionate heart. WAIT, he doesn't know how to FORGIVE AND FORGET, let's hunt him down for the DOG that he is!!!!
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:03 PM   #7
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally posted by Inmountains
Martigan
You forget, Lurikeen is perfect, flawless, with brilliant reasoning, a firm grip on reality and a compassionate heart. WAIT, he doesn't know how to FORGIVE AND FORGET, let's hunt him down for the DOG that he is!!!!
Come and get me!!!! MUWHAHAHAHA!

BTW, I do forgive and forget. You don't see me constantly harping on the actions of presidents past as some here do. Like all the bantering over why Clinton was such a loser.

Edit: Oh, and Martigan... don't believe one moment that you have escaped my superior liberal powers! You will not evade me Martigan01!! *cackles*
Old 05-06-2003, 06:23 PM   #8
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Originally posted by Lurikeen
I won't let go of the 2000 race until Bush is hunted down like the dirty dog he is and brought to justice!

Lurikeen just loves it when I say, fuck you lurikeen your a political idiot.

*GRIN

After Bush 43 finishes with Bush 44 the brother will take over and
eliminate the liberals for another 8 years untill the cousins take over.

To bad So Sad to you Luri and your nutzo liberal friends.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS OUR PRESIDENT

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (a one gnome conservative army) GRAWR!
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally posted by Zolmaz Zo'Boto
Lurikeen just loves it when I say, fuck you lurikeen your a political idiot.

*GRIN

After Bush 43 finishes with Bush 44 the brother will take over and
eliminate the liberals for another 8 years untill the cousins take over.

To bad So Sad to you Luri and your nutzo liberal friends.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS OUR PRESIDENT

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (a one gnome conservative army) GRAWR!
Political idiot? No, Zolspaz. I would never pretend to take the position allocated solely for you.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #10
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Political idiot? No, Zolspaz. I would never pretend to take the position allocated solely for you.
Thank goodness because,
the last thing Republican Conservatives need, is you on our side.

Sucks to be you.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BUSH

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (Reality check "enemy #1" for liberals) GRAWR!
Old 05-06-2003, 07:42 PM   #11
Lurikeen
Freaky

Thank goodness because,
the last thing Republican Conservatives need, is you on our side.

Sucks to be you.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BUSH

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (Reality check "enemy #1" for liberals) GRAWR!
No, it sucks to be you, since you seem to be the one providing the sucking!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:01 PM   #12
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Lurikeen,
Your a poor liberal lost in the big world without a new cause.

Standing on old time (pre-war) antics does not make up for current staqndards.
You liberal idiots lost the WAR!
Lurikeen, I feel your pain.

SUCKS TO BE YOU.

Time to become Conservative and grasp reality Lurikeen. Your war predictions
of THOUSANDS of Americans killed, and MILLIONS of citizens killed.
Just didn't pan out did it?

Time to pay the piper Lurikeen.
ON YOUR KNEES BITCH!

LURIKEEN OWES ME !

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BUSH

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (I may have a small gnome penis, its my pelvis that women love the most) HUMP!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:14 PM   #13
Lurikeen
Freaky

Lurikeen,
Your a poor liberal lost in the big world without a new cause.

Standing on old time (pre-war) antics does not make up for current staqndards.
You liberal idiots lost the WAR!
Lurikeen, I feel your pain.

SUCKS TO BE YOU.

Time to become Conservative and grasp reality Lurikeen. Your war predictions
of THOUSANDS of Americans killed, and MILLIONS of citizens killed.
Just didn't pan out did it?

Time to pay the piper Lurikeen.
ON YOUR KNEES BITCH!

LURIKEEN OWES ME !

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BUSH

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (I may have a small gnome penis, its my pelvis that women love the most) HUMP!
Zolmaz, I only wish you could email me what it is your drinking, because it must be good shit!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:32 PM   #14
Raedwulf

Send a message via AIM to Raedwulf Send a message via Yahoo to Raedwulf
Lurikeen: I would beg to differ. Whatever it is, it has clearly eroded the limited braincells he inherited from the unforked family tree he's crawled out of.

The rest: And how could Bush have won "fair and square" if so many black voters were disenfranchised, black polling places closed down, and all the mistaken votes for Buchanan created by Jeb's lackey - Kathleen Harris? Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:51 PM   #15
Martigan
Supporter

And how could Bush have won "fair and square" if so many black voters were disenfranchised, black polling places closed down, and all the mistaken votes for Buchanan created by Jeb's lackey - Kathleen Harris? Whatever helps you sleep at night.
If there was some true credence to the disenfranchised voters, there would be more of a stink to it in the papers...there wasn't. And one more thing...since you cannot accurately tabulate voter intent, you have no leg to stand on.

What about...the voters in Western Florida (more conservative section) who were disenfranchised when the state was called for Gore before the entire state's polls closed because they were in a different time zone...lots of them went home and never voted. What do I say about them? I say shame on them for not voting...the same with the so-called disenfranchised minority voters. If they wanted to vote bad enough, they would have voted.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:56 PM   #16
Raedwulf

Send a message via AIM to Raedwulf Send a message via Yahoo to Raedwulf
I'm afraid you don't understand the situation with the disenfranchised. Numerous polling places were closed down early due to "too many people" showing up to vote. They wanted to vote, but were unable. There were also numerous polling places that had insufficient ballots, so had to close early. And then there were the folks that were accidentally left off the voting rolls due to the "mistake" made by ChoicePoint. And it was really shocking how many of these "mistakes" happened solely in black/Democratic districts.

The people wanted to vote, but were unable. The conservatives you mentioned simply made a stupid mistake. No such mistakes made by those that wanted to vote but were prevented by the government.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:25 PM   #17
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Originally posted by Raedwulf
I'm afraid you don't understand the situation with the disenfranchised. Numerous polling places were closed down early due to "too many people" showing up to vote. They wanted to vote, but were unable. There were also numerous polling places that had insufficient ballots, so had to close early. And then there were the folks that were accidentally left off the voting rolls due to the "mistake" made by ChoicePoint. And it was really shocking how many of these "mistakes" happened solely in black/Democratic districts.

The people wanted to vote, but were unable. The conservatives you mentioned simply made a stupid mistake. No such mistakes made by those that wanted to vote but were prevented by the government.
Don't forget the stupid Democrats making the same mistakes!'''

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BUSH

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (My ass was never a punch card for liberals) Nuff said!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #18
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Zolmaz, I only wish you could email me what it is your drinking, because it must be good shit!
Vodka, rum, a little bit of beer, some pepsi 1 and alot of coca-cola!

Can you say, BUZZZZZZZZ?
YUM!

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BUSH

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (I ain't got that swing, because gnomes aint got big thangs)
Old 05-06-2003, 10:25 PM   #19
Aackman

There was plenty of noise made about the disenfranchised voters who were predominantly black and historicly known to vote Democratic.

The following is AN EXCERPT from another article published by The Guardian, UK: "How US paid for secret files on foreign citizens" by Oliver Burkeman in Washington and Jo Tuckman in Mexico City, Monday May 5, 2003 The Guardian
Full article available here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...949554,00.html

exceprt follows

ChoicePoint, though, which is based near Atlanta, is far from unfamiliar to observers of the Florida vote of 2000 that decided the US presidency in George Bush's favour. Its subsidiary Database Technologies was hired by the state to overhaul its electoral registration lists - and ended up wrongly leading to the disenfranchising of thousands of voters, whose votes might have led to a different result.

Investigations in 2000 and 2001 by the Observer and the BBC's Newsnight programme concluded that thousands of voters had been removed from the lists on the grounds that DBT said they had committed felonies, preventing them from voting. In fact, the firm had identified as "felons" thousands of people who were guilty of misdemeanours, such as, in at least one case, sleeping on a park bench.

Then it produced a revised list of 57,700 "possible felons", which turned out to be riddled with mistakes because it only looked for rough matches between names of criminals and names of voters. James Lee, a vice-president of ChoicePoint, told Newsnight that Florida, governed by Mr Bush's brother Jeb, had made it clear that it "wanted there to be more names [on the list] than were actually verified as being a convicted felon". Mr Bush's eventual majority in Florida was 537.
Aackman is offline   Reply With Quote