Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
Chiteng
Supporter

Default Risk free flames

This is an open letter to Nuldar, Nire and Ogmuk.

Was it your intent to have the 'ignore' feature become a form
of risk free flaming? That is how its being used. If it WAS
your intent, that it be used that way, will you allow anon flaming as well? If the poster's integrity was such an issue, that you
needed to ban anon-posting. Isnt it an issue with 'ignore'?

It is also possible that you didnt anticipate it being used in that way. But it is. I can provide multiple examples of such use.

The use of 'ignore' by itself doesnt bother me at all. Its use in conjunction with active flaming is a cowardly thing to do, and childish.

Chiteng

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:38 AM   #2
Lurikeen
Freaky

You raise a good point, Chiteng. However, it really doesn't matter in the long term. Those who post here can only take a limited number of pot shots at another, while at the same time claiming to have them on ignore, without looking like complete fools.

Related to another thread, I will not put anyone on ignore. Those who use ignore and flame people they have on ignore are as you stated... cowards.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:31 PM   #3
Slayne

Send a message via AIM to Slayne
While I can see how it'd be an issue with some, I think its different then anon flaming. Anon posters dont even have the courage to post who they are, at least with those who use ignore, you know who's being the jackass.

~Slayne
Slayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:30 PM   #4
Maeri

Ignore lets you ignore the fact that you are being flamed, but it doesn't stop you getting a poor rep. That to me seemed the reason one would ban anon flamers. I don't plan on using ignore. Much more interesting to see what everyone has to say even if you don't agree with them. Hell, I've been known to browse slashdot at a threshold of -1. Ew.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
CrypteXY
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to CrypteXY
Think Chit is afraid no one will see him anymore.
CrypteXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 04:20 PM   #6
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Wow, Chiteng does have a good point finally. Actually, I wouldn't know, he's on ignore

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:32 PM   #7
Raedwulf

Send a message via AIM to Raedwulf Send a message via Yahoo to Raedwulf
Lightbulb Ostrich Boy

Evidence, please? Where is this risk-free flaming you claim? Kerryn's statement that if you want to say something do it now? Puh-leeze! You are such an idiot. You've been demanding that we all ignore you for years, and now that we really can, you get all pissy? What a flipping joke you are!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:44 PM   #8
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: Raedwulf

I have already replied to that statment in another thread.

Ignoring someone isnt the same as flaming them. Ignoring
then is ignoring them. That means silence about them.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Old 11-10-2002, 09:21 PM   #9
Krrak

Actually Chiteng, all he is ignoring is your responses, since this in no way infringes on your ability to respond or in anyones ability to read whatever responses they wish to read - how does this equate in any similarity to anon flaming.

You still see what they say about you... you still know who wrote what and can reply to whatever you want (and you know you will)... and the community will still make it's usual judgements. A person can just as easily see who has written a response and overlook that particular frame. Are you now going to attempt to force people to read and somehow signify that they have read each and every reponse posted??

The ignore feature in NO way inconviniences any one's posting function or identity of said posters. So I ask you directly, how does this impact on your or anyone else's life here??

And to say that someone is hiding behind the ignore feature is laughable, all they are doing is adjusting their personal reading ability.

nuff said
Krrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 09:37 PM   #10
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: Kkrak

And again I say that 'ignoring' me would mean silence.
Flaming me is not ignoring me. That should be obvious.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 11-10-2002, 11:24 PM   #11
Krrak

No ignoring you is not seeing what you are replying, silence would be non-responsiveness. There is a major difference there. He is choosing to silence your remarks as far as he is concerned in his own world, he is not silencing you to others (that would be broadbased censorship) - nor is he deleting what you post (that would again be censorship, but by the mods). You are still free to reply to whatever is stated, it has not changed what you can do or where you can do it - all it has done is give him some peace of mind.

Although you might get a few less replys from him on your posts, in fact if all things worked to his satisfaction, he wouldn't even see your quotes in other's messages... you can still enjoy fanning the flames and feeling whatever it is you feel by posting here and having others respond to you.

Again I ask you directly, how has this changed your life or your ability to use this forum?? After all, if you are going to question the moderators on a feature of this message board, with the intent of having changes instituted - you need to back up your claims of the problematic use of said feature(s).

my 2 coppers
Krrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:54 PM   #12
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: Kkrak

Whatever I do Kkrak it will not be submitted or explained for your perusal.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 11-11-2002, 12:20 AM   #13
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: Krrak

BTW I have no doubt whatever that Nuldar is able to sift thru
what is going on. He may or may not agree with me, and that
is the way the world works. But he certainly will not fall for that
lame sophistry your trying to peddle. There is no difference at all
between what Malevant is doing and an anon-poster.
In both cases the poster tries to avoid reprisal. To allow what
Malevant is doing will change the fundemental character of the board. I cant say if that is viewed as good or bad, but it wont be the same board. Whatever it is that Malevant is doing,
he isnt ignoring me.

I will point out that Zolmaz has managed to get banned on several occasions. I cant say what Ogmuk thinks, I have no idea.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 11-11-2002, 12:27 AM   #14
Mitch the Blond

Default but..

But Chit..

Why inflict the lies garbage and pure drivel that the dorkarns, raedwulfs and carathos's of the world spew out?

Much better just to ignore them, I know that I've become bored with constantly kicking these peoples asses over the boards for 3 years now, they are too stupid to know when they are beaten and too hypocritical to admit their errors.

Best by far to just ignore them, think of it as a bullshit filter but for your 'eq life' on the boards.

I'm with Laoke, ignore is great!

Mitch
Mitch the Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:30 AM   #15
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: Mitch

Because Mitch he has an unstated agenda.
It is possible he thinks he is being clever, but he is transparent
as glass. I can only wonder what set him off.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 11-11-2002, 01:02 AM   #16
Vanje

Originally posted by Chiteng
Ahh nah Silver you see its their way of trying to needle me.
I am supposed to care, that some person I dont know,
I have never met, and if I had I would not agree with, has me
on his ignore list. But you see, I dont know them, so I dont care
=) That is their egos talking.

Now if Hothgar put me on his ignore list, then I would sulk.
... so, what's this post really about?
Vanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:03 AM   #17
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: Vanje

Restate the question

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 11-11-2002, 01:13 AM   #18
Langree

Send a message via AIM to Langree
It's about people being able to mute chit's messages if they so desire.

This bothers him, much like when you walk away from a child throwing a tantrum. He gets louder hoping you'll come back and pay attention to him.

I personally will not ignore Chit, fun to watch him try and get a rise out of people. He usually succeeds, as they dive in head first and the fun begins.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:14 AM   #19
Hadekin

Default Understanding Chiteng

I think you all are too hard on Chiteng... Sure, sure... He can have some REALLY stupid post that make absolutely NO sense, but that doesn't give us the right to ignore him! Post like this proves that Chiteng CAN be an integral part of EQ board society!
To understand the meaning behind Chiteng's posts, we must first look at the question, "Who is Chiteng?”. To answer this question, we have to look at his former posts. <About now, you are saying that this post is too long and I won't read it>
Firstly, let us look at First Example . From this, we can see that Chiteng does have moral ethnic; in fact, he has a moral ethnic much like the ordinary web browser would. “I agree that it is a bit unfair that Vendrix can say anything he wants and because of his personal relationship with the board admin he never gets PUBLICLY called on it.” Most people would agree Chiteng’s statement about being able to “say anything [you] want…” due to a personal relationship.
Chiteng is a sensitive person with feelings. It is true! Have you ever flamed Chiteng for one of his post? Have you ever scorned him? Hated him? Have you ever felt so inclined to totally obliterate his existence on the message boards? If you have, you know that Chiteng recourses your post, exposing his true feelings. “Second I have not asked anyone to change. It is other people proclaiming that 'I' should change that brings out that retort” is a perfect example of Chiteng exposing his softer, more gentle side. Chiteng understands the problems of today’s board sociological problems and faults!
Maybe it is not that we actually dislike Chiteng as much as we are singling him out for a scapegoat. People should be ashamed of labeling this soft, gentle, integral part of today’s society as a harsh loathsome troll. Isn’t it a little unfair to go so far and say that Chiteng should “Take [his] @#%$ elsewhere”? We can all take a lesson from Chiteng, the diversity of the message board is what gives us the enjoyment and fulfilling needs for comedy and entertainment that we oh so desire. With out Chiteng… without diversity of the message board, we would cause the message board to lack what we strive for in our viewing of Rants and Flames. So please, before you click on that “Ignore Chiteng” button, look at the facts. Thank you.

Hadekin Unavailable -- 62 Dwarven Cleric of Brell
Hadekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:30 AM   #20
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: Hadekin

The one lesson I have had pounded into me by events ingame and on this board is this:

People dont want to hear 'truth' in any form, particuarly when
if compromises them. They only want entertainment.

If truth mattered, I would never have started posting. There would never have been a reason to start.

They love the catfight, they do not concern themselves with reality. Nothing matters but the spectacle. Anything that keeps
it going will please them. The de-sensitization of the communal mind.

Not that I buy into your demeanor, but I will give you the benifit
of doubt.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 11-11-2002, 01:47 AM   #21
Ogmuk
Administrator

How is ignoring the same thing as anonymous flaming? Isn't it the same as putting your fingers in your ears and yelling "LALALA... I CAN'T HEAR YOU"? You could do that on the ezboard too, the ignore feature is just an easier way.

I still don't see the relation to anonymous flaming however.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:12 AM   #22
Dwarkarn

Chiteng you are fucking psychotic.
Dwarkarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:19 AM   #23
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: ogmuk

Apparently, no Ogmuk it isnt the same.

Before on the board, yes you could skip a post, but you knew
it was there. Other people reading the same thread ALSO knew it was there. People, being what they are, tend to read.

That means that even if person A skipped a post. Person B likely did not.

That means that the to-and-fro of discusssion/flaming/ whatever
you did occured. The 'ignore' command means that wont happen.
Just look at Malevants posts. He doesnt care what he says because in his mind he will never face the consequences of his actions. If I flame Vendrix, I expect a flame back. What you will see now is an exageration of positions and the dimunition of even
the small amount of truth that exists. You will start seeing complete fabrications. If the perpetrator convinces people to
share in the ignoring, then the fabrications will go unchallenged.
The character of the board will change radicly. Nothing will matter
except who establishes a position first. The actual exchange
of information will be stopped.
Inevitably requests for the banning of people.
It is possible of course that, this is what you want. I would hope not. It will extend into all the boards not just EQ.

It really doesnt matter Ogmuk if you dislike me, or you think I am
the biggest fool ever to grace a MMORG. You are an instinctive player. I am certain you sence where this is going. I am asking you to NOT allow your distain for me, cloud your judgement.

The bottom line is that there is no difference in the outcome
of an anon post and one of these ignores. In each case they
are attempting to escape retribution.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 11-11-2002, 02:30 AM   #24
Dwarkarn

Mitch you have 4 posts, 3 of them directed at me, yet you claim to ignore me? HAHAHAHAH Thanks for making my day.

The only arse you have kicked over these boards is your own bracer stealing gal, you been running so fast your feet have been kicking your own arse.
Dwarkarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:47 AM   #25
Vespay

I know that I've become bored with constantly kicking these peoples asses over the boards for 3 years now, they are too stupid to know when they are beaten and too hypocritical to admit their errors.
/dies laughing

When Hell freezes over my friend, only then.