Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2002, 05:49 PM   #1
Zaazz

Default Yep…the old NBG question, would like opinions on this new twist.

The other day I was in a group hunting in PoN. We happen to see some parchments drop in that time, and surprisingly enough there was a discussion about loot and who should be getting them.

Being a melee class I attempted to take an unbiased viewpoint in the group, but being unbiased in any situation can be difficult.

Anyway, one of the casters tells me that because one of the other casters is not 61 yet, that person should not be included in the random of a dropped parchment, stating that Need Before Greed should be instated and the people who are 61+ need the spells and can use them before one other caster who was still level 60.

Now it’s my opinion that this is not a reason to try and call NBG, especially on a spell, against someone who is also a pure caster. If they are not level 61, that is no reason to say need before greed, imo. It seemed people were saying that only because the player was not 61 yet…

To me the only time that calling NBG, with parchment looting, might be in order…would be if a melee class were to say that they want to be in on the random because they want to sell the spell in the bazaar so they can earn money and possibly buy upgrades for themselves as well. I would agree with a caster calling NBG on their party in that case.

I totally disagree with someone calling NBG when they are 61+, vs. another pure caster who is not 61 yet.

So, tell me what you are thinking…
Zaazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:58 PM   #2
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

Default NBG

Seems to me their level wasn't a problem before the parchment dropped. Why should it be when it did drop?

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:09 PM   #3
CrypteXY
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to CrypteXY
That's just bull shit. Should have asked that same person to do the turn in while in group and if the spell wasnt of his/her level to random it to the group. See how they like that...or if it's one of the higher parchments (there are 3 right?) to make everyone roll, pure melee included. Cause well, no one in group can use it right?

Like I said, that's bs. The person was just trying to increase thier chances of winning.
CrypteXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 07:11 PM   #4
Siilverain
The Wind Caller

Send a message via AIM to Siilverain Send a message via Yahoo to Siilverain
That is so retarded. In any group I've ever been in, level was not factored into NBG. That shouldn't change because VI added 5 more levels. That's just people being greedy & trying to knock out "competition".
Old 11-08-2002, 07:36 PM   #5
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
I have a solution for all your loot woes. When the question arises who should get the loot and there's some disagreement, give the loot to Nire.

Remember:

When there's a dispute,
Give Nire the phat lewt.
Nire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 07:49 PM   #6
Igota
Supporter

Feel free to substitue "ass kicking" for "phat lewt" in the closing line of the previous message.
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:37 PM   #7
Krrak

I would have to agree with what was stated above - the person involved was just being greedy - so what if the person wasn't 61+ yet - they will get there - and they can have a spell ready for when they do...
Krrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:52 PM   #8
Kaidyn

From my viewpoint, almost every time SOMEONE calls NBG, it will somehow give THEM a better chance to get the loot. But, as always, NBG is never that simple. Here's a few examples, with my views on each. Feel free to argue againest my opinions, I love a good debate.

1."I am high enough level to use that spell, and I dont have it."
-NEED

2."I dont have that spell, but Im not high enough level to use it."
-also NEED (but maybe not AS NEEDED, but still NEED)

3. "I want the spell, to sell in the bazaar."
-GREED

4. "I could use the spell, I have an alt that could use it."
-NEED (but definitely bottom of the NEED totem-pole)

5. "He's not high enough to use the spell yet, so give it to me."
-GREED (maybe the other player needs it less than you, but to straight up try and remove them from a random is F'ed up)

(P.S. I know it was a parchment, and not a spell in question... these are just examples.)

Anyhoo, I seem to have alot more time to troll, and post now that you Greedy Fucks (most, not all) killed all the fun in Norrath so i quit.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:28 AM   #9
Stacy The Druid

Default NBG

I have a solution to the NBG thing for everyone.

Make all items, spells (memed or not) lore. So you can't buy a spell or carry a spell you already have in your inventory or memed in your book. Who is to know that the guy mentioned above level 61+, already had the spell memed and just wanted to get the spell to sell in the bazaar anyways.

This would also eleminate farming items. Just today I went into the bazaar looking for some items to buy. I clicked on this one druid shorty and his entire inventory was full of Opal Encrusted Steins. I would say at least 20 and that being modest.

I was killing in KC once with my warrior. I had a pair of Cobalt boots on me. A pair of boots dropped. I was unable to roll just because I already have a pair on.

I think if they did this, everyone would be better off in the long run.
Stacy The Druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 04:41 AM   #10
Aishen L`Fey
Princess Kooky

Send a message via AIM to Aishen L`Fey
This would also eleminate farming items. Just today I went into the bazaar looking for some items to buy. I clicked on this one druid shorty and his entire inventory was full of Opal Encrusted Steins. I would say at least 20 and that being modest.
And what's wrong with having 20+ Opal Encrusted Steins, considering they're made through pottery and aren't dropped off mobs?
Aishen L`Fey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 04:57 AM   #11
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

"Just today I went into the bazaar looking for some items to buy. I clicked on this one druid shorty and his entire inventory was full of Opal Encrusted Steins"

OMFG that pharming cocksucker!!!!!!!

/boggle
Old 11-09-2002, 05:11 AM   #12
Drakaran

Default ?

Originally posted by Araya LeBon
[BOMFG that pharming <explicative removed>!!!!!!!

/boggle [/B]
I guess I don't understand the comment unless ya meant it as some sort of sarcastic humor?

The druid in question was probably working on his/her pottery skill. I don't really blame him/her for trying to sell them instead of just destroying them. the merchants will only give you a little over 1sp for em.

Bindar/Oogabuk
Drakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:52 AM   #13
Araya LeBon
Bible=great toilet paper

Whoosh!
Old 11-09-2002, 07:43 AM   #14
Toein Athkatla

Originally posted by Araya LeBon
Whoosh!
*steps on the geckos tail*
*carefully sweeps the gecko back into his cage*

Sorry folks, sometimes he chews through the wires on the cage and goes off causing havoc and mayhem.
Toein Athkatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 07:56 AM   #15
Reddoak

Originally posted by Toein Athkatla
*steps on the geckos tail*
*carefully sweeps the gecko back into his cage*

Sorry folks, sometimes he chews through the wires on the cage and goes off causing havoc and mayhem.
Toein, 2 word solution... Electrified Cage

WoW:
-----------------
Nanaki
60 Tauren Shaman
<For Sale By Owner>
Skywall Server
Reddoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 08:49 AM   #16
Ozzin T'Arc

Send a message via ICQ to Ozzin T'Arc Send a message via Yahoo to Ozzin T'Arc
Talking NBG

Its just simple,
  • Make it Lore (as already stated before)
  • Make it Nodrop
  • Make it Class only lootable
And say goodbye to Pharmers

A Proud (Erudite) Necro

"Too many of us are spending money we haven't earned, to buy things we don't need to impress people we don't like"
Ozzin T'Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 10:32 AM   #17
Igota
Supporter

I know my opinion means exactly shit now that I no longer play, but when I was playing I just never gave a shit about loot, which turned out to be a solution to the loot whore problem as a side effect.
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #18
Chiteng
Supporter

Default doesnt sound like NBG

What did the player who they were trying to cut out have to say?

See just take down the names of the greedy people and dont group with them again. Unless the player been cut out cares,
I dont see the problem. Did he protest?

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 11:17 PM   #19
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally posted by Kaidyn
Sorry, gonna have to disagree with this one. If someone wants a parchment for their alt, they should be playing that alt. There are some cases where someone with a cleric main and a warrior alt (just as an example) has to play their warrior because that group doesn't have any melee. But, this should really be only in guild/friend groups, not pick-up groups. I have a hard enough time getting parchments as it is (have only won one), so I'll be damned if I'm going to lose to someone's twink.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 12:48 AM   #20
Kaidyn

Default Re: Wildane

--- So you're agreeing with me Wildane? I didnt say I wanted to see alts get a random in a group, I was just saying that it is a NEED, in some sense of the term. Yes, its much LESS of a need than most, thats why I said bottom of the totem-pole....

I guess my point is this.... just because its an alt, doesnt mean he DOESNT need it. It just means he needs it ALOT less than those sacrificing their time with the characters that do.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:43 AM   #21
Vespay

I would have to say that the person was definitely being greedy about the situation. It shouldn't matter what level you are (within reason), if you can use it, you should have a chance at rolling for it. That level 60 was there, they contributed to the group, they helped, which gives them every right to have a go at it.

I just wish some people would stop what they're doing, take a good long look in a mirror, and see that they are only tarnishing their rep and acting foolish.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:50 AM   #22
Krrak

The unfortunate thing is - some people really don't care about their reputation - only about getting something NOW - and "damn the torpedoes"... it is a fact of life that some people are more greedy than others or that some just don't give a shit about other people ... best bet is to just move on when you encounter someone like that.
Krrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 04:28 PM   #23
Maeri

I could see some validity in the argument if you had a say, level 53 caster and a level 61+ in the group. In the time they take to get to 61, the spells will likely become a lot more common. If I were a long way from getting to 61 I'd probably defer in favour of someone who could use it right now. But I wouldn't stress about it if I was (am) 61+ and lower level character wanted to loot. Complaining about a level 60 on the other hand is rather petty. I looted a parchment at level 60. I was at 99% xp in level 60, and just waiting to finish of the last few percent in an AApt before dinging.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:34 PM   #24
gojirra monk

Default NBG sux0rs

Gotta say it, but NBG is pretty lame, unless the item in question is no drop.

In a pickup situation, I think that /random everything is much more appropriate. After all, everyone there is taking (more or less) the same risks, why not give everyone the same chance of reward?

I've both benefitted and been screwed by NBG, but I've never been screwed by having an equal shot at something.

These are, of course, just my opinions. I don't pick groups or raids based on looting policy. If I want loot, I ask my guild, or farm it myself.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:31 AM   #25
Dracnor the Dwarf

Send a message via AIM to Dracnor the Dwarf
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kaidyn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disgree as well,

this is GREED not need, or you could carry on and not stop at alts,

"Hay my friend could use that," thats low need, wrong thats just greed.

quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gojirra monk
In a pickup situation, I think that /random everything is much more appropriate. After all, everyone there is taking (more or less) the same risks, why not give everyone the same chance of reward?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed unless the item is worth Sh!t loads just /rand all

Like epic / high end class quest items etc, then NBG or still /rand all

But i pursume this parchement are soppose to be a low - med drop rate.. (could be wrong?)