Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 04:07 AM   #26
Siilverain

Default Re: If this wasn't so trivial..

Kalvarin, I don't agree with your interpretation of possible slander.

How is this "damaging his reputation"?
Will he be unable to find gainful employment? ...suitable housing? ...obtain a loan or credit card? ...purchase food products in a public place? ...successfully run for a public office?

I submit that *none* of the above will ever come true solely based on the comedic acts of a non-corporate individual's website. As such, personally I think he got what was coming to him. Did you read his posts on the Pictures of Erollisi Marr Pt2 thread before they were deleted? Upon reading them, it certainly seemed like he trying to start a fight over something that hadn't even happened yet!

*pulls out her retired cheerleading pom-poms*

GOOO D W A R K A R N!

*jumps up & down cheering*

Seriously though...I would have done the same damned thing. He acted like an a$$ and now he's being treated like one. What goes around comes around.

Old 10-21-2002, 04:39 AM   #27
cnjmorris

Default Re: If this wasn't so trivial..

This is a public forum but I venture to guess that some people post their real life pictures with a certain degree of trepidation.

There are all kinds of stories about internet stalking, etc these days. Sure Lurikeen might not be the ideal target of a stalker, but the point is that when someone posts their RL picture here on this board they should be able to assume that it will not be used elsewhere.

After all, public or not, that is their picture. While I don't see a reason someone would want my picture, and I am not sure where my picture is or isn't posted... I would still like to believe that posting on this board I would be safe from people using a picture maliciously.

People who post their pictures here should not have to worry about what others will do with their pictures. The whole picture idea came from a sense of community here on the boards. Sure, people here disagree, but disagreements should stay on this board. It would suck for people to not be able to post pictures or personal info anymore for fear of what someone else might do with it.

Anyone who reads these boards regularly knows that I don't agree with Lurikeen often... but I think this is way out of line.

Lurikeen could probably contact Dwarkarn's host again and let them know that instead of his picture a different picture is being used with his name. They would probably request it be taken down. All he would do is host it somewhere else and link to it.

Lurikeen could inform "Big Brother" that someone is using their name on a web site. Dwarkarn would just find a different name or way of doing the same thing.

The reality is that only Dwarkarn can choose to take it down.

Old 10-21-2002, 04:58 AM   #28
Nirecnad the Trademaster

Default ...

E-mail me dwark. info@realityhosting.ca

Old 10-21-2002, 06:50 AM   #29
SkerryNB

Default Re: ...

I would still like to believe that posting on this board I would be safe from people using a picture maliciously.

People who post their pictures here should not have to worry about what others will do with their pictures.

Well then, with all due respect, you are not thinking clearly. This is not an insult, but a statement of fact.

This is a public message board. Nowhere that I have seen is any such statement such that all content here is under copyright protection by the entities that post them.

Basically, YOU provide the information to a public, unprotected location, then you take the risks.

Any pictures, any signatures, any text etc etc, is fair game in a place like this. No protection.

You put up a picture of yourself, well. you can think all you want that it will be used properly, however that is leaving youself VERY wide open.

Old 10-21-2002, 07:49 AM   #30
Ghia Stormwolf

Using your real picture without your permission was out of line. Also refusing to take it down was also rude. However I think you are letting it get to you too much. You got your picture taken down let it go.

It isn't like he is using your real name.

All you have done is give him more publicity. It isn't some major project its a joke. Smile laugh and be glad you got a bit of your 15 minutes of fame.

Old 10-21-2002, 07:59 AM   #31
Darue Ivywood

There's a nice thing called slander... from which you could claim Dwarkarn 'damaged his reputation'.. which is just as criminal as the next.
I'm not completely clear on how enforcable slander is over the internet, but I'd assume it follows the same principles. Flame away if you must
LOL..I hope this was sarcasm..cuz thats funny shiznit! What really is a flame other than slander.

as far as the pic..really whats the problem..I wonder if those at www.uglypeople.com/ took pictures of themselves to be posted on that site.

<photographer says> Ok Osama, We are going to take your picture for a website called Uglypeople.com, now If I can get your persmission to post it...please sign here.

Now, I need you to strike a pose for me...Oh ya, thats it..show it to the camera "

lol..

Old 10-21-2002, 08:04 AM   #32
RazerZedgeEmarr

Ever see that conan obrien thing where he took 2 celebrity pictures and stuck them together to show what their kid would look like? once, quite a long time ago on a forum called hardforum, someone posted a picture of a kid who could be the child of dwark and the fake lurikeen.

There were tons of pics of this kid on a website his father made. pics of him at hooters, in school photos, etc.

Since hardforum had a LOT of photoshop people there, we took this kids pics and started making changes here and there, making totally new pictures, and generally making fun of the kid, but in our own little place, not making an actual website devoted to making fun of this kid. it was all done in fun, and he may have been referred to as tard in many pictures, but in the end it was done all in good fun.

Somehow his father found out though, and proceeded to call up every company that was hosting a pic of the kid, and threatened to sue if they were not removed. Most were removed, and the forum suddenly came up with a rule that we needed permission from the people in pictures before we could do anything like that again.

From that day on you could have someone post a pic of his twin brother and say "photochop my twin brother" and the mods would remove it unless he said "I have his permission"

or a pic of people in a bar would get posted that said "here is a friend and I, photochop it" but there would be a third person off to the side and the mods would remove it cause it didn't mention having that 3rd persons permission.

Dwark, it's not that Lurikeen hasn't a sense of humour, you gotta realize some people have a different sense of humour than you do. If my friends sat around making fun of random people all the time and did nothing but that, I'd get pretty sick of them pretty fast.

Some people don't care one way or another if you want to post their pic on your site and make fun of them, but others do and you could show a little class and remove it if they do get mad.

Old 10-21-2002, 08:19 AM   #33
Aishen

I'm going to lock Siilverain and Igota in my room in dat der house /nodnod.

Old 10-21-2002, 08:49 AM   #34
RazerZedgeEmarr

http://www.tbaytel.net/scaryf/images...rikeydwark.jpg

Old 10-21-2002, 09:00 AM   #35
Suicidal Slayne

I'm sorry, but thats just plain funny ^_^

Old 10-21-2002, 09:41 AM   #36
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Razer, you are a riot. As much as I think the Crocodile Hunter is a disgrace to my nation...that was pretty damned good. Don't be surprised if that pic ends up on my own sorry website =P

Old 10-21-2002, 09:57 AM   #37
Ramierez

The best part about this thread is the *bouncing* anime chick sig.

Old 10-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #38
Zakiku

:| Woof!

Old 10-21-2002, 12:26 PM   #39
Igota

Dwark, of course you can use whatever you got on me, if you want any info just <a href='mailto:chezo@epimp.com'>email</a> me. (I just hope to got by 'my picture' you mean one of the ones in the RL thread and not the chezo_pants.jpg off my web space and don't bother looking for it now, I took it down, Muhahahhhaha!

<font color='yellow'>*jumps up & down cheering*</font>

"OHHHHyeah.....

erm.. Sorry, got distracted....

<font color='yellow'>Lurikeen could probably contact Dwarkarn's host again and let them know that instead of his picture a different picture is being used with his name. They would probably request it be taken down. All he would do is host it somewhere else and link to it.</font>

Because his real name is not being used and the EQ name is not owned by anyone, there would be no legal basis for that request.

<font color='yellow'>Lurikeen could inform "Big Brother" that someone is using their name on a web site. Dwarkarn would just find a different name or way of doing the same thing.</font>

Since he is not selling anything with that name and makeing no monitary profit off of anything related to it, he is protected under the 'Fair Use Rule' of the United States Copyright Act of, I think, 1976.

Old 10-21-2002, 12:26 PM   #40
Siilverain

OH Aishen-baby, you know just what to say!

Happy Treehugger,
Siilver

Old 10-21-2002, 12:41 PM   #41
Dwarkarn

LMAO Razer 45 posts, and thats the first funny thing you have posted.

Old 10-21-2002, 12:42 PM   #42
Igota

<font color='yellow'>I'm going to lock Siilverain and Igota in my room in dat der house</font>

/dances....... naked..

Old 10-21-2002, 12:51 PM   #43
Kalvarin HolyBlade

Default ...

By invasion of privacy, I didn't mean it in the legal sense. I meant the violation of your communal 'privacy'... if you will. If you had a ton of friends you hung out with, and you didn't mind sharing stories of your "unholy crusades" with them, but someone somehow overheard and told random people, friends and enemies alike.. wouldn't you be at least a little irked? Would you say -- oh well, I guess I shouldn't have been talking to my friends in a PUBLIC place. No -- you'd feel like your privacy within your group of friends; which is what I think this board is (for the most part).. had been broken.

It's a community of people behind avatars and names.

Try exercising something you might not have ever tried before -- its called empathy.

Old 10-21-2002, 12:51 PM   #44
RazerZedgeEmarr

Default dwark

actually dwark, I have a lot of posts, I just changed over to using my global account instead of my local account

Old 10-21-2002, 12:54 PM   #45
Dwarkarn

Default Re: dwark

Would you say -- oh well, I guess I shouldn't have been talking to my friends in a PUBLIC place.
Actually that is exactly what I would say and I would suck it up and move on. Like I said before if you don't want something to become public, then don't make it public in the first place.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #46
Nirecnad the Trademaster

Default ...

Somehow his father found out though, and proceeded to call up every company that was hosting a pic of the kid, and threatened to sue if they were not removed. Most were removed, and the forum suddenly came up with a rule that we needed permission from the people in pictures before we could do anything like that again.
Most companies get really skittish when people start mentioning lawsuits. In reality, the likelyhood of the lawsuit materializing is slim. However, it's best just to air on the side of caution.

That being said, it's quite fortunate that Lurikeen isn't famous. He'd probably have an aneurism every time he saw a tabloid in a supermarket.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:38 PM   #47
Raedwulf

Default Lurikeen the Obsessive

Nope, saying something about an anonymous person is not slander. There must be harm to a real world reputation, not just laughter at someones pseudonym.

However, there is not presently any case law of which I am familiar about internet libel, although I know a couple of lawfirms that have made stabs at it. An internet reputation is not substantial, therefore, there is nothing to be harmed.

And you don't have copyright to a photo you post on the net unless you so mark the photograph beforehand. Even then, it's pretty iffy. If the photo was not taken or published with the intent of monetary compensation (does www.uglypeople.com pay for photos?), then the copyright claim would probably be dismissed.

The photo was susceptible to Fair Use, and that's how Dwarkarn has used it.

Lurikeen: Please seek counseling.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:53 PM   #48
Raedwulf

Default Ooo. Vendrix is Number Four

Vendrix appears to be Number Four. Can't wait to see the witty write up by Dwarkarn.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:58 PM   #49
Aishen

Default Re: Lurikeen the Obsessive

*turns on the house intercom*

Attention, all house members. Girl on girl on guy threesome going on in Aishy's room upstairs; bring your own orgy. Must be 18 or older to participate and STD free. Hip hip hooray, Big Brother's Swinger's Club. That is all, thank you.

*turns off house intercom*

Now, Siilver, where were we?

BTW, I wrote Ven's write up. It *does* say my name on the copyright, ya know... geesh... who'd you think came up with this haired brain idea anyway? (tee hee, all this time y'all were yelling at the wrong person *giggle*)

Old 10-21-2002, 02:01 PM   #50
Raedwulf

Default Humbly apologize

When I just clicked on it, I got a 404 like it hadn't been finished. I figured it hadn't been written or posted yet. I'll check again now.

/em bows submissively to Aishen.

Closed Thread