Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2003, 09:13 PM   #1
Deviator

Default car audio help

I got a new setup for Christmas and I am having a bit of a problem with it.

I had the following:
Sony Mobile ES Deck
Sony X-Plod 10 Disc MP3 Changer
Soundstream Reference Components (2-6 1/2, 2-tweeters)
Soundstream Reference 200 Amp
Punch 500 Amp
2-Punch HE 12" Subs (250w rms???, single voice coil)
Plexiglass Band-Pass Box

The amp was too powerful even on 1/2 gain, 1/2 boost for the 2 HE's and blew the voice coil on one and blew out the cone seal of the other (over a period of time, not immediately).

I got the following replacements today:
2-Punch HE2 12" subs (500w rms dual voice coil)
Custom Built Ported Box

The configuration used to hook these up was as follows:
Amp (Left positive) to (Sub1 positive1) and (Sub2 positive1)
Amp (Right negative) to (Sub1 negative2) and (Sub2 negative2)
(Sub1 negative1) to (Sub1 positive2)
(Sub2 negative1) to (Sub2 positive2)
This is per the instruction manual for a 4ohm load. Click here for diagram.

The Amp is still on 1/2 gain, 1/2 boost, but now when I turn it up or turn the Deck bass all the way up(anytime it is hitting hard), it cuts out my component amp (Reference 200) and my mids/highs go away till i turn it back down. I have a few opinions as to what may be wrong, but really just guessing here.

I have 4 guage from the battery to the fuse block, and 8 guage from the block to each amp. Also have a crossover, but it is only for the mids/highs since the sub amp has a built in crossover.

What I am thinking is either I need to increase the guage of the wire, or run seprerate wires to each amp. Another possible cause is that with the new ohm load, the sub amp is drawing so much power that the component amp doesn't get any. In this case, I may need a capacitor or something. Again, these are just guesses and I would like some inpt from someone who has more knowledge of this than myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Deviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
Dinas

Sounds like your new subs are pulling to much power to me, whats the resistance rating on the subs?

If they are 4ohms each, and you wired them as shown you're actually pulling a 2ohm load at the amp. For a 4ohm load at the amp, your subs would need to be rated at 8ohms each.

Resistance in a Parallel circuit like that one shown is 1/RT= 1/R1 + 1/R2

RT= Total resistance
R1= Resistance 1
R2= Resistance 2

Whoever drew that diagram flunked basic electronics theory...

So, either change the resitance on your amp (some have this, dunno if yours does). Or change the speakers to match the spec'd min load on your amp.

Dinas Giapet (Retired)

Last edited by Dinas; 12-26-2003 at 06:51 AM.
Dinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:52 AM   #3
Deviator

I drew that diagram based on the manual that came with them. Today I went to their website and checked and found the same thing here (bottom diagram is how we hooked them up). They also suggested (via email) to use the left positive and right negative from the amp, per it's specs, for this wiring setup.

I would assume you are correct tho in that it is pulling much more power now than before, but what are my options for being able to give the amp/subs the power they need so they don't kill off my other amp? I have heard some different things in the past, but not sure exactly what they do. One would be to get a seperate battery just for the sub setup, but I have no clue what that would accomplish or even how to do it heh. I also heard you can put a capacitor on them, but again, no clue what that does or how to do it. Seems like I saw there was a special alternator you can install to push more power but I am not so sure that would work as well as the other options, but then again, I know nothing much about cars to begin with heh. Thank you.
Deviator is offline   Reply With Quote