Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Lgdood

Send a message via AIM to Lgdood
Default HELP! technical Network stuff

a couple of days ago I was getting a hell of a lot of IE pop ups, like to the count of 1-2 every 15 seconds. I was playing EQ at the time and everytime one would popup it would minimize EQ and &^(()*& me off. I asked my guildes what to do, and they told me about Adware, a spyware remover that you can get offa Download.com. Anywho, I downloaded the program, ran it, and it found something like 8700+ pieces of spyware conponents on my computer, and something like 193 running currently at that time. (Yes I have Kazaa, but have since deleted) Anywho, I deleted all those spyware programs on my computer, and now my net isn't working. I cant get onto EQ or netscape, IM or even Norton virus updates. I switched my computer to another place in the house to check and see if the cord was the problem, but that wasn't. Is there anything out there I can download or get that you guys know of to help me out? I think when I deleted all those spywares, I deleted some of my network drivers by mistake, any advice? thanks in Advance =)

~Courtny Beanz~
Bard of Cruentus
Lgdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
korinn

Did you use the utility that located the spyware to remove the spyware or did you go on a rampage and try to remove it all yourself?

If you used the utility then you can probably open that utility again and use the restore feature if it exists. If you just went on the rampage, well, you might want to try reinstalling your OS over itself ( sometimes called an upgrade of the existing OS ).

Also if you ever see that window that pops up when uninstall something and says "soandso.dll is not used by this program anymore would you like to remove it" It's usually best just to say No. Not sure if that is something that you did but there is a slight change you could be removing a shared library that is used by something else.

Try the reinstall of the OS ( not a clean one, just to refresh your image ) if you can't fix it any other way.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
Lgdood

Acatually I just reinstalled Win XP today and that didnt fix anything =/ Also yes I did remove all the Spywares from the program list.. no rampaging here... Ill go check on that restore thing.. thanks =)

~Courtny Beanz~
Bard of Cruentus
Old 12-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #4
Lgdood

bah theres an undo button but it doesnt acatually let you undo anything =/

I think one of the big problems is I don't know what im looking for to fix it...

Are there any spyware type programs out there that you ~need~ to run on a cable mobem? maybe I can re download those and get back up and running...

Maybe not even spyware programs, a list of drivers?

thanks for any help in advance

~Courtny Beanz~
Bard of Cruentus
Old 12-23-2003, 07:44 PM   #5
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

You are using Windows XP? You might have corrupted your Winsock when you removed all of that stuff.

Go to start, go to run, type in the word command and hit the enter key. This will bring up a DOS window.

At the DOS prompt type in ipconfig and hit the enter key.

If you get an ip address back of 169.254.xx.xx OR 0.0.0.0 then type in ipconfig /renew and hit the enter key.

If the ip address you get is something other then above, let me know what it is.

If you get an error message when you do the ipconfig /renew let me know what the error message is exactly.

Arnwolf
Arnwolf Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:02 PM   #6
Festivus

You should not need any "spyware" or any other apps to use a cable modem. If however you are an AOLer or something, there may be an exception to that. Assuming that the machine you are contacting the message boards with is a different one, it could be a few things. Starting with Arnwolf's suggestion of clicking Start, Run, CMD, OK and then type in IPCONFIG /RENEW and see what you get back. If you get an IP Address of 169.254.x.x then you are getting an unroutable address (automatically generated when your netcard cannot contact a DHCP server to get an address allocated). Since you mentioned that you reinstalled XP, did you get the drivers for the network card installed ok? Check by clicking Start, then right click my computer, choose Manage, and then look at any devices listed with a ? Other Devices. If you don't see a network card listed or if you have a net card listed under Other devices then you need to hunt for a good driver for that network card.

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:00 PM   #7
Lgdood

thank you for the suggestions, I am going to go try that right now.. unplugging my sisters machine and plugging in mine to check it out .. will let you know what happens.

Also! I copied all of the DLL files off of my sisters computer onto a CD, if I put them on my computer, could that fix the problem?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:02 PM   #8
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
That would probably just land you with all sorts of wonderful new issues unless your sisters hardware AND software configuration mirror that of your computer perfectly. Even then, you'd probably have registry SNAFU's.

You're likely to end up with an OS that won't boot if you try something that drastic.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:37 AM   #9
Lgdood

ok back, this is what happened...

I first ran the dos prompt and did the IP config and all, got the numbers 169.254.203.77 and when Itried to renew it, it came up with this error message.

An error occured when renewing interface local area connection: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

Then I installed my sisters DLL's, And reinstalled Windows XP... I did the repair installation, everything was fine until windows came up... AWFULLY slow, and now my taskbar is gone =/

I ran the IP config again and now its 0.0.0.0, and the Ipcofig /renew came up with a new error message that read:

An Error has occured when renewing interface local area connection: The System cannot find the file specified.

/shrug, I dont know if I am going to have to format or completely reinstall Win XP from the Get go to fix those DLL's that I installed =/ I seem to be doing everything wrong here =/

Thanks again for any advice/tips in advance, would love to get back to the world of norrath.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:52 AM   #10
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

If you hadn't done another repair installation..I could have fixed it. Just as I predicted you had a corrupt Winsock.

At this point though with all of the other errors you are getting, you'll need to do a Format and OS Reinstall from scratch.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:20 AM   #11
bobdz

Send a message via AIM to bobdz
Did you turn off the windows messanging service for Windows XP that causes massive amounts of pops up to bug the shit out of ya ?

If not ill tell ya what to do if ya want

Z
bobdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:52 AM   #12
Lgdood

=/ doh
Old 12-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #13
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

You can try going to www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm and downloading lspfix.exe and running that. Just expand the window all the way out when you double click and click on finish ... then reboot.

I think you will be MUCH better off reinstalling with a format though.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:59 PM   #14
Lgdood

thank you for your help with this, WIsh I coulda done something.. ended up having to format. At least I didnt have to reinstall almost everything, I copied everything over to my 40 gig harddrive and when I formatted, I didnt lose much.. just all that bad shit I didnt need =)

Back in Norrath =) Merry christmas guys

~Courtny Beanz~
Bard of Cruentus
Old 12-26-2003, 02:44 PM   #15
Huckle

Default Spyware

I find that SpyBot search and destroy will usually find stuff that ad-aware misses.

If you find your TCP/IP protocol stack becomes corrupt again in the future, no need to 're-install' XP, just use the Netsh util.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];299357

If that doesnt work, then just re-image like you did. Re-installing or 'repairing' a current install has never worked for me.

Huckle
Huckle is offline   Reply With Quote