Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Default Uhoh... Start listing PCI Video Cards

This year much to my surprise for Christmas my dad bought three new computers from Dell. (I'm surprised because I don't see him every really doing anything for Christmas each year unlike the mother) I don't yet know the computer specs, but he did come down last night and say "I just found out that the computers I ordered have no AGP slots." He didn't say he included video cards in the order, though video cards are supposed to be built in on the motherboards (icky, never had good luck with on board stuff). So now he's not sure what exactly he's going to do with the three computers. He may hand down his present computer to my younger brother and take one of the three computers and then boggle on the other two. So maybe I can stall him and perhaps help him out in the coming weeks by ordering a PCI video card or two for the computers.

I've been living with AGP for quite some time, so I'm not in the loop with all PCI video card things. What would be a good brand to begin with?

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 09:59 PM   #2
Leldari L
MOD

Send a message via AIM to Leldari L
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod... 63400847617F

What is mainly available is GeForce 5200 and MX440, a few older Radeons too.
The quality of these will most likely be higher than an onboard video card but not top quality by any means.

Pricewatch.com has GeForce FX5200 128mb ram starting at $70. So at least the price isn't too prohibitive.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:38 AM   #3
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
That's a nice price, considering I had to paid, I think, a couple hundred for a GeForce4 with 128 or 256mb for my main AGP computer. If I do switch my computers around I'll probably switch that video card out and into my secondary computer, which only has like 64-128mb... Some odd number less than what my main computer currently has.

And no, I'm not going to buy extra desktop space, put all three computers together, and start attempting to three box Everquest!

Besides, my main computer still isn't running the Internet.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:19 AM   #4
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Cheap ass motherboard on the Dell I got for school doesn't have an AGP slot. So, I've been running with the onboard video for a while (Intel Integrated Xtreme Graphics or something like that), and I have to say I've not had much trouble. I still would like to get a PCI card soon, as the onboard one eats up more CPU time and RAM.

Been looking online, and found a GeForce2 64MB for $40, as the lowest end. There's a GeForce4 MX440, but I've heard those are actually pretty shitty. ATI didn't make any decent PCI cards, the "All-In-Wonder" is about it and sucks for gaming.

In other words, you'll not be spending a fortune on those new video cards, but don't expect much performance either. The PCI and AGP interfaces run differently so it's just more efficient to have a graphics card in AGP than PCI, even if it's the same specs. Also, most motherboards with 4 PCI slots have them running on 2 interfaces, meaning two adjacent cards slow each other down.

I'm going to venture that your father bought the Dell 2000 series. Those are the bargain end; the $100 upgrade to a 4000 series is worthwhile. You can't really replace the motherboard (which isn't top-end) in the 2550 that I have because the case is so small. A new case and everything is way too much a pain in the ass to get. It's not a hefty gaming machine but with the speed of today's computer components the difference isn't noticeable. Your graphics and framerate will likely suffer (though toning down resolution helps) but I don't pay too much attention to graphics anyway.

You have sympathies from a fellow Dell 2500 series buyer. Oh how misleading Dells ads are...
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:58 PM   #5
Zelgadis

Oops! Scrap that idea! My dad decided to sell the computers back today while I wasn't looking. I told him I could have found a great and cheap PCI video card, but he was like "No, I haven't found a PCI video card that would run Everquest well enough." ... not like he'd know... he doesn't pay attention to games... in fact if it weren't for his children's push he'd still be using Windows 95 with a 486 motherboard because he thought that's all he needed. Bleh!

Old 01-09-2004, 09:07 AM   #6
Darthin

lol i had a problem like that with my dad...back in the day...then i started building my own senior year of high school....took me two years to get that comp running right (stupid exposed core on AMD chips). But about the geforce4 MXs....pretty much all i've heard about em ( i have a comp with no agp slot either...not my main though) is that they run about as well as a Geforce 2...though if given the option i'm not sure which i would pick up....i'm still waiting for the FX PCIs to come down in price a bit before i upgrade my second comp

Baron Darthin Stonepipe, Lvl 62 Dwarf Warlord
Officer of <Lords of Reverence>
Darthin is offline   Reply With Quote